Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > [maybe OT] embedding asm

[maybe OT] embedding asm

Mok-Kong Shen

Apology, if this is OT. (Please kindly refer me eventually
to another group.)

With VC++ I can embed asm statements in a function e.g.
as follows:

__asm
{
je lab
lab:
}

But gcc seems not to accept this. What is the proper
way of achieving the same with gcc (i.e. grouping a
number of statements with labels)? Thanks in advance.

M. K. Shen

Joona I Palaste

Mok-Kong Shen <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled the following:
> Apology, if this is OT. (Please kindly refer me eventually
> to another group.)

> With VC++ I can embed asm statements in a function e.g.
> as follows:

> __asm
> {
> je lab
> lab:
> }

> But gcc seems not to accept this. What is the proper
> way of achieving the same with gcc (i.e. grouping a
> number of statements with labels)? Thanks in advance.

This is indeed OT. Try gnu.gcc.help.

"Keep shooting, sooner or later you're bound to hit something."
- Misfire

Ben Pfaff

Mok-Kong Shen <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Apology, if this is OT. (Please kindly refer me eventually
> to another group.)

Your question is outside the domain of comp.lang.c, which discusses
only the standard C programming language, including the standard C
library. This is a remarkably narrow topic compared to what many
people expect.

For your convenience, the list below contains topics that are not
on-topic for comp.lang.c, and suggests newsgroups for you to explore
if you have questions about these topics. Please do observe proper
netiquette before posting to any of these newsgroups. In particular,
you should read the group's charter and FAQ, if any (FAQs are
available from www.faqs.org and other sources). If those fail to
answer your question then you should browse through at least two weeks
of recent articles to make sure that your question has not already
been answered.

* OS-specific questions, such as how to clear the screen,
access the network, list the files in a directory, or read
"piped" output from a subprocess. These questions should be
directed to OS-specific newsgroups, such as
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc, comp.unix.programmer, or
comp.os.linux.development.apps.

* Compiler-specific questions, such as installation issues and
locations of header files. Ask about these in
compiler-specific newsgroups, such as gnu.gcc.help or
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc. Questions about writing
compilers are appropriate in comp.compilers.

* Processor-specific questions, such as questions about
assembly and machine code. x86 questions are appropriate in
comp.lang.asm.x86, embedded system processor questions may
be appropriate in comp.arch.embedded.

* ABI-specific questions, such as how to interface assembly
code to C. These questions are both processor- and
OS-specific and should typically be asked in OS-specific
newsgroups.

* Algorithms, except questions about C implementations of
algorithms. "How do I implement algorithm X in C?" is not a
question about a C implementation of an algorithm, it is a
request for source code. Newsgroups comp.programming and
comp.theory may be appropriate.

* Making C interoperate with other languages. C has no
facilities for such interoperation. These questions should
be directed to system- or compiler-specific newsgroups. C++
has features for interoperating with C, so consider
comp.lang.c++ for such questions.

* The C standard, as opposed to standard C. Questions about
the C standard are best asked in comp.std.c.

* C++. Please do not post or cross-post questions about C++
to comp.lang.c. Ask C++ questions in C++ newsgroups, such
as comp.lang.c++ or comp.lang.c++.moderated.

* Test posts. Please test in a newsgroup meant for testing,
such as alt.test.

news.groups.questions is a good place to ask about the appropriate
newsgroup for a given topic.

--
"I'm not here to convince idiots not to be stupid.
They won't listen anyway."

Julian V. Noble

Mok-Kong Shen wrote:

> Apology, if this is OT. (Please kindly refer me eventually
> to another group.)
>
> With VC++ I can embed asm statements in a function e.g.
> as follows:
>
> __asm
> {
> je lab
> lab:
> }
>
> But gcc seems not to accept this. What is the proper
> way of achieving the same with gcc (i.e. grouping a
> number of statements with labels)? Thanks in advance.
>
> M. K. Shen

It is OT, but the answer should be obvious: some C's permit assembly
to be embedded in them. But the method is non-standard, and the codes
must, naturally, depend on the target machine. M$ C and Borland Turbo C
(as well as the venerable de Smet C) allowed code embedding, but they
were aimed at a single platform, namely Intel machines.

--
Julian V. Noble
Professor Emeritus of Physics

"God is not willing to do everything, and thereby take away our free wiil
and that share of glory that rightfully belongs to ourselves."

-- N. Machiavelli, "The Prince".

Randy Howard

says...
> Apology, if this is OT. (Please kindly refer me eventually
> to another group.)

Better yet, did you even consider a google for:
gcc inline assembler

??

--
Randy Howard