Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > looking for good C source code

looking for good C source code

Clark

Hi all.
I'm looking for good C source code to study and be able to advance my C
programming skills. Do you recomend any open source project in particular
that in your opinion has good writen C code?
Thanks.

stau

The Linux Kernel.
www.kernel.org

The best free (as in free speech) C code you can get.

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 20:31:43 +0000, Clark wrote:

> Hi all.
> I'm looking for good C source code to study and be able to advance my C
> programming skills. Do you recomend any open source project in particular
> that in your opinion has good writen C code?
> Thanks.

Aaron Walker

stau wrote:
> The Linux Kernel.
> www.kernel.org
>
> The best free (as in free speech) C code you can get.

I definitely had fun reading version 0.01 of the linux kernel. I
decided to read that version because I figured it'd be the easiest to
read and understand since it is a minimal kernel.

Aaron
--
/usr/bin/fortune says:
Taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed.

August Derleth

"Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bsianl$d0c41$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de on Fri 26 Dec 2003
01:31:43p:

> Hi all.
> I'm looking for good C source code to study and be able to advance my C
> programming skills. Do you recomend any open source project in
> particular that in your opinion has good writen C code?
> Thanks.

This isn't really on-topic for this group. comp.programming would
probably be a better place for it. comp.lang.c only deals with Standard
C, not programming in general or languages other than Standard C.

In any case, the GNU Project has released some coding standards for
people to follow. I think they can be applied generally, in fact, and so
I will give you the link to the website where they are listed:

http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_toc.html

Another thing for you to keep in mind is the difference between using a
specific language and programming in general.

Using a language is all about knowing syntax rules and taking advantage
of semantics and such like. In other words, it's not applicable to any
other language.

Programming in general deals with algorithm design and structuring of
both code and data and the theory of effective computability. In other
words, it is completely independent of any language.

Perhaps the most important lesson in programming style to take from that
distinction is to learn that structure and planning are the most
important elements of good style, and that they will show through well no
matter what language you use.

Randy Howard

says...
> The Linux Kernel.
> www.kernel.org
>
> The best free (as in free speech) C code you can get.

It's free, but it's not C.

The linux kernel uses a lot of gcc extensions that are not pure ISO
or ANSI standard C. That's not bad, it would be hard to write an OS
without doing so, but if your intent is to learn portable C, that's
probably not the place to start.

Sourceforge is a great reasource, try searching for ANSI and ISO and
reading project summaries for those claiming to be fully portable.

Also, several of the regular posters here have websites with
libraries and smaller code samples that are fully portable, try
trolling through some of the .sig lines.

--
Randy Howard
2reply remove FOOBAR

Richard Heathfield

Clark wrote:

> Hi all.
> I'm looking for good C source code to study and be able to advance my C
> programming skills. Do you recomend any open source project in particular
> that in your opinion has good writen C code?

(I must disagree with August Derleth about the topicality of this question.
I can think of no better place to ask about good C source code than a good
C newsgroup!)

If you're looking for good C source code, look no further than comp.lang.c.
If you want to advance your C programming skills, you are already at the
right place. Read the group regularly, and (once you have worked out who
knows what they're talking about and who doesn't) you'll pick up a vast
number of useful tips on how to use the language correctly and skilfully.

You don't have to wait for discussions to happen, either, since Google has
archives for this newsgroup going back to - er, no, it even goes back
further than that.

A brief, non-exhaustive list of names worth looking out for (past and
present) - every one of these people is a C expert:

Martin Ambuhl
Christian Bau
Dann Corbit
Douglas Gwyn
Lawrence Kirby
Jack Klein
Ben Pfaff
P J Plauger
Dan Pop
"Noone Really"
Will Rose
Eric Sosman
Richard Stamp
Keith Thompson
Chris Torek
Stephan Wilms
Dik Winter

Like I said, it's non-exhaustive. But basically, if you focus on articles by
these people, you'll pick up a lot of good stuff. Then find out who agrees
with them (on the whole!), and you'll find your way to other clueful
articles.

It's not the best way to /learn/ C, by any means, but if you've already
"learned" C, this is a great way to find out what you got wrong and what
you missed.

--
Richard Heathfield : (E-Mail Removed)

Sidney Cadot

Richard Heathfield wrote:

> [snip]

> A brief, non-exhaustive list of names worth looking out for (past and
> present) - every one of these people is a C expert:
>
> Martin Ambuhl
> Christian Bau
> Dann Corbit
> Douglas Gwyn
> Lawrence Kirby
> Jack Klein
> Ben Pfaff
> P J Plauger
> Dan Pop
> "Noone Really"
> Will Rose
> Eric Sosman
> Richard Stamp
> Keith Thompson
> Chris Torek
> Stephan Wilms
> Dik Winter
>
> Like I said, it's non-exhaustive. But basically, if you focus on articles by
> these people, you'll pick up a lot of good stuff. Then find out who agrees
> with them (on the whole!), and you'll find your way to other clueful
> articles.

This list is especially non-exhaustive in that it omits Mr. Heatfield
himself, of course.

A rather funny thought just occurred to me: what would happen if people
of this caliber got together to work on a real-life project? Seems that
a mediocre outcome is out of the question... Either the result would be
quite brilliant or a total deadlock, I think

> It's not the best way to /learn/ C, by any means, but if you've already
> "learned" C, this is a great way to find out what you got wrong and what
> you missed.

It certainly is.

Best regards, Sidney

stau

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 02:21:28 +0000, Aaron Walker wrote:

> stau wrote:
>> The Linux Kernel.
>> www.kernel.org
>>
>> The best free (as in free speech) C code you can get.

> I definitely had fun reading version 0.01 of the linux kernel. I
> decided to read that version because I figured it'd be the easiest to
> read and understand since it is a minimal kernel.
>
> Aaron

Its does have some bugs on the use of the C language, as Linus just
admited when argumenting against SCO dick corp.; like #define
someMacro(a, b) (a - b), in which the argument may be a complex
expression.
A newer version is probably better for study.

Servé Lau

"Sidney Cadot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bsjtu2$jde$(E-Mail Removed)...
> A rather funny thought just occurred to me: what would happen if people
> of this caliber got together to work on a real-life project? Seems that
> a mediocre outcome is out of the question... Either the result would be
> quite brilliant or a total deadlock, I think

I do agree that the people mentioned know their stuff very well, but you
need more than only coding and language skills to successfully complete a
big project.

Peter Nilsson

"Servé Lau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bskdep$cog$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...
> "Sidney Cadot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bsjtu2$jde$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > A rather funny thought just occurred to me: what would happen if people
> > of this caliber got together to work on a real-life project? Seems that
> > a mediocre outcome is out of the question... Either the result would be
> > quite brilliant or a total deadlock, I think

> I do agree that the people mentioned know their stuff very well, but you
> need more than only coding and language skills to successfully complete a
> big project.

I'm quite sure the listed people would know quite a lot of other stuff too.

But more critically, a group considering a project that would actually
_need_
more than two (say) genuine C _experts_ should probably reconsider it's
choice
of programming language!

In any case, many of the listed people _have_ colaborated on a real-life
project: "C Unleashed". Although, Francis Glassborow wasn't entirely
convinced of the merits of that project, even if he was satisfied with
the quality of production.

--
Peter