Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > C Reference page on Linux

C Reference page on Linux

Vbman / Simon

Hello! I am new to C programming in Linux. I would like to know is there any
online reference for C langage. For example, length of unsigned long,
precedance of operators, explaination of some keywords. I know there are man
pages for system calls but also want a C reference.

Thanks for answering!

CBFalconer

Vbman / Simon wrote:

> Hello! I am new to C programming in Linux. I would like to know
> is there any online reference for C langage. For example, length
> of unsigned long, precedance of operators, explaination of some
> keywords. I know there are man pages for system calls but also
> want a C reference.

Linux has nothing to do with it. Google for N869, the last draft
of the C99 standard. It is all there.

Wolfgang Kaufmann

* Thus spoke Vbman / Simon <(E-Mail Removed)>:

Hallo,

> Hello! I am new to C programming in Linux. I would like to know is there any
> online reference for C langage.

http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstor...EC+9899%2D1999

Wolfgang.
--
"Erfahrungen -- das sind die vernarbten Wunden unserer Dummheit."
-- John Osborne

Servé Lau

"CBFalconer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello! I am new to C programming in Linux. I would like to know
> > is there any online reference for C langage. For example, length
> > of unsigned long, precedance of operators, explaination of some
> > keywords. I know there are man pages for system calls but also
> > want a C reference.

> Linux has nothing to do with it. Google for N869, the last draft
> of the C99 standard. It is all there.

What about this one?

Especially this line:
"Updates the third edition by integrating new ANSI/ISO standard, C99."

Vbman / Simon

"Serv?Lau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bs22n4$7se$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...
> "CBFalconer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hello! I am new to C programming in Linux. I would like to know
> > > is there any online reference for C langage. For example, length
> > > of unsigned long, precedance of operators, explaination of some
> > > keywords. I know there are man pages for system calls but also
> > > want a C reference.

> > Linux has nothing to do with it. Google for N869, the last draft
> > of the C99 standard. It is all there.

> What about this one?

> Especially this line:
> "Updates the third edition by integrating new ANSI/ISO standard, C99."

Thank you! Actually I am asking are there any man pages like 'man
operators', 'man unsigned char' so that I can easily refer to.
In Dos I have the Help of Turbo C. But in Linux I dunno.

E. Robert Tisdale

Vbman / Simon wrote:

> I am new to C programming in Linux.
> I would like to know is there any online reference for C language.
> for the C computer programming language.
> For example, length of unsigned long,
> precedence of operators, explanation of some keywords.
> I know that there are man pages for system calls
> but also want a C reference.

I used Google

http://www.google.com/

to search for

+"online C reference manual"

I found lots of stuff including "C Programming Reference Introduction."

http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~comp1300/...C_ref/C/c.html

If you are using the GNU C compiler gcc, go to the GNU website:

http://www.gnu.org/

click in the [Manuals Online] button then the [gcc] button
to get to "GCC online documentation"

http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/onlinedocs/

Subscribe to the gnu.gcc.help newsgroup and ask your question there.

Vbman / Simon

"E. Robert Tisdale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vbman / Simon wrote:
>
> > I am new to C programming in Linux.
> > I would like to know is there any online reference for C language.
> > for the C computer programming language.
> > For example, length of unsigned long,
> > precedence of operators, explanation of some keywords.
> > I know that there are man pages for system calls
> > but also want a C reference.

> I used Google
>
> http://www.google.com/
>
> to search for
>
> +"online C reference manual"
>
> I found lots of stuff including "C Programming Reference Introduction."
>
> http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~comp1300/...C_ref/C/c.html
>
> If you are using the GNU C compiler gcc, go to the GNU website:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/
>
> click in the [Manuals Online] button then the [gcc] button
> to get to "GCC online documentation"
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/onlinedocs/
>
> Subscribe to the gnu.gcc.help newsgroup and ask your question there.

Thank you for your reply! I have also visited those sites. May be I have
expressed myself carelessly. Actually I mean by 'online' is like the 'man
pages' or 'F1 help'. In vim, I can 'Shift-K' on 'malloc' to get its help
page. But I can 'Shift-K' on 'external', 'void', '<<' to get the reference.

Kevin Goodsell

Vbman / Simon wrote:

> Thank you! Actually I am asking are there any man pages like 'man
> operators', 'man unsigned char' so that I can easily refer to.
> In Dos I have the Help of Turbo C. But in Linux I dunno.

man pages are not defined by the C standard. Try a Linux or Unix
programming group. This group is only for discussion of the C language,
not operating systems, and not specific implementations of C.

-Kevin

Rouben Rostamian

In article <3fe4a221$(E-Mail Removed)-cable.com>,
Vbman / Simon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>May be I have
>expressed myself carelessly. Actually I mean by 'online' is like the 'man
>pages' or 'F1 help'. In vim, I can 'Shift-K' on 'malloc' to get its help
>page. But I can 'Shift-K' on 'external', 'void', '<<' to get the reference.

Traditionally, Unix man pages have included man pages for functions
in the C standard library. Therefore it's not unexpected that you
have found a man page for malloc() there. You can also expect to
find man pages for putchar(), strlen(), fopen(), and other C standard
library functions.

Note, however, that "external", "void", "int", "while", etc., are not
functions. They are C language keywords. In the same vein, "<<", "++",
"+=", etc., are not functions. They are C language operators.

Traditionally, Unix man pages do not supply man pages on C language
keywords and operators. To learn about them you will have to read
a C programming manual.

--
Rouben Rostamian

Morris Dovey

Vbman / Simon wrote:

> Hello! I am new to C programming in Linux. I would like to
> know is there any online reference for C langage. For example,
> length of unsigned long, precedance of operators, explaination
> of some keywords. I know there are man pages for system calls
> but also want a C reference.

Simon...

There are man pages for standard C library functions (as well as
others). There are not normally man pages to explain C syntax and
operators - for these you'll probably want treeware (my personal
favorite is the 2nd edition of "The C Programming Language"
(K&R2) by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie).

If you follow the link in my sig, you can find an ANSI bookstore
link for the C standard document, a precedence table for C
operators, and (amazing coincidence!) a short program to display
the sizes of variable types on your own system (varsize.c)

Welcome to the world C programming!
--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA