Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > running program as a background process

running program as a background process

ruthless@poczta.onet.pl

hello

I've got a question how can I write a program(computing program) working in
OS background(Win or Linux)?

E.g. I'm starting my program for computing and it works in system
backgraound, and after finishing program brings himself foreground with
message: "And the solution is:...."

How can I hide it to the toolbar(Win)?

thanks in advance
especially for any sample codes and functions
greetings R

---

Hallvard B Furuseth

> I've got a question how can I write a program(computing program)
> working in OS background(Win or Linux)?

Wrong newsgroups: these are questions specific to those systems, not
about the C/C++ languages in general. Try a Linux or Unix programming
newsgroup, and a Windows programming newsgroup. And I strongly suggest
that you write two postings, don't crosspost between the two groups.

--
Hallvard

Jeffrey Schwab

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>>I've got a question how can I write a program(computing program)
>>working in OS background(Win or Linux)?

> Wrong newsgroups: these are questions specific to those systems, not
> about the C/C++ languages in general. Try a Linux or Unix programming
> newsgroup, and a Windows programming newsgroup. And I strongly suggest
> that you write two postings, don't crosspost between the two groups.

What he said.

The function you want is probably fork().

puppet_sock@hotmail.com

Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth(nospam)@usit.uio(nospam).no> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> And I strongly suggest
> that you write two postings, don't crosspost between the two groups.

Actually, if an article belongs in both groups, a crosspost is
preferable. A crosspost means there is only one news article.
A multi post means there is a distinct article for each group.

However, the cases where an article actually belongs in both
groups should be comparably rare. In this case, the OP was
off topic in both groups.
Socks

Hallvard B Furuseth

puppet_sock wrote:
>Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth(nospam)@usit.uio(nospam).no> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> And I strongly suggest
>> that you write two postings, don't crosspost between the two groups.

> Actually, if an article belongs in both groups, a crosspost is
> preferable.

It doesn't. He wants to know how to do it on Linux and how to do it on
Windows. The answers will be different, and each is completely off-
topic for the other group. In addition, one never knows when a Windows
posting on a Linux group will trigger a flame war or some possilby
truthful but certainly useless 'Windows is trash' postings.

--
Hallvard

Peter van Merkerk

"Jeffrey Schwab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brnl02$m5p$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >

> >>I've got a question how can I write a program(computing program)
> >>working in OS background(Win or Linux)?

> > Wrong newsgroups: these are questions specific to those systems, not
> > about the C/C++ languages in general. Try a Linux or Unix programming
> > newsgroup, and a Windows programming newsgroup. And I strongly suggest
> > that you write two postings, don't crosspost between the two groups.

> What he said.
>
> The function you want is probably fork().

Standard C++ doesn't have a fork() function and neither does Windows (for
this platform take a look at the CreateProcess()). I.e. you will need to
use platform specific functions which are beyond the scope of this
newsgroup. See also: http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

--
Peter van Merkerk
peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl

Alex

In comp.lang.c (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth(nospam)@usit.uio(nospam).no> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> And I strongly suggest
>> that you write two postings, don't crosspost between the two groups.

> Actually, if an article belongs in both groups, a crosspost is
> preferable. A crosspost means there is only one news article.
> A multi post means there is a distinct article for each group.

It does not belong in both groups. It belongs in neither, in fact.
Even if the OP got it right and cross-posted to Linux and Windows
groups, then the half of the question would be off topic in both
groups. Same would be true for the responses. So, in effect, he
has two different questions, which would be best handled by two
separate posts to two different groups.

Alex

puppet_sock@hotmail.com

Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth(nospam)@usit.uio(nospam).no> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> puppet_sock wrote:
> >Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth(nospam)@usit.uio(nospam).no> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> >> And I strongly suggest
> >> that you write two postings, don't crosspost between the two groups.

> > Actually, if an article belongs in both groups, a crosspost is
> > preferable.

> It doesn't. [snip]

Open the reading-comprehension bay doors Hall. If you had
read the part you snipped from my article you would have seen
me say:

> In this case, the OP was
> off topic in both groups.

Socks