Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Copy Protection?!

Copy Protection?!

Bruno Desthuilliers

JewBoy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 03:29:29 GMT, "Gordon Burditt" said:
>

>>>Hi Folks I wonder if somebody can help me to copy protect a C program that
>>>runs under ms-dos compilated with djgpp... and gcc

>>That's easy: DON'T SELL IT!! And perhaps you shouldn't even bother
>>writing it in the first place.
>>
>>Copy protection is a way of making software defective so that even
>>a legitimate purchaser won't want to use it. (He'll also want a
>>refund, which you should give him if you didn't notify the purchaser
>>that it was copy-protected in your advertising).
>>
>>Actually, having it run under MS-DOS by itself may discourage a lot
>>of people from trying to run it.
>>
>> Gordon L. Burditt

> Or he could run it under linux. It's user base is so small there would be
> almost no one to steal it.

You're a stupid troll, and I really don't appreciate your fake e-mail
address.

Doug Laidlaw

And what does that have to do with comp.os.linux.misc?

Doug.

--
Registered Linux User No. 277548.
They say lightning never strikes twice in the same place. My typing is

Dan Pop

In <(E-Mail Removed) e> "joseph philip"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> JewBoy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>That's easy: DON'T SELL IT!! And perhaps you shouldn't even bother
>>>writing it in the first place.
>>>
>>>Copy protection is a way of making software defective so that even
>>>a legitimate purchaser won't want to use it. (He'll also want a
>>>refund, which you should give him if you didn't notify the purchaser
>>>that it was copy-protected in your advertising).
>>>
>>>Actually, having it run under MS-DOS by itself may discourage a lot
>>>of people from trying to run it.
>>>
>>> Gordon L. Burditt

>> Or he could run it under linux. It's user base is so small there would
>> be almost no one to steal it.

> You're a stupid troll, and I really don't appreciate your fake e-mail
> address.

Calm down. You make it sound like Auschwitz has some significance to
Judaism.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

 @ .

Doug Laidlaw <(E-Mail Removed)> says...

>And what does that have to do with comp.os.linux.misc?

Here is the sequence:

A troll tried to start a crossposted thread between
comp.lang.c and alt.os.linux.slackware.

I asked the fine folks in comp.lang.c to please not crosspost
replies in the thread.

Another troll, or maybe the same troll, then tried to start a
crossposted thread between comp.lang.c, alt.os.linux.slackware,
and comp.os.linux.misc. I assume that both crossposts are from
the resident alt.os.linux.slackware troll who is getting no
replies to his trolling posts.

The fine folks at comp.os.linux.misc, like the fine folks at
comp.lang.c, are too polite and too savvy to let themselves be
manipulated into crossposting OT material into alt.os.linux.slackware.

(BTW, Doug Laidlaw's reply is *not* part of the problem. he set
followups to one newsgroup, which was exactly the right thing
to do.)

 @ .

Dan Pop <(E-Mail Removed)> says...

>Calm down. You make it sound like Auschwitz has some significance to
>Judaism.

Now the troll who crossposted to comp.lang.c and alt.os.linux.slackware,
then to comp.lang.c, alt.os.linux.slackware, and comp.os.linux.misc is
now crossposting to comp.lang.c, alt.os.linux.slackware,
comp.os.linux.advocacy and comp.os.linux.misc.

Sorry, Troll, but the participant in those newsgroups are all too
smart to continue a crossposted thread that's off topic in every
group you crossposted it to.

.:\:/:.
+--------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:.
+--------------------+ / \
| | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \
| | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
@x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW
\||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
\||/ |jgs| | (______Y______)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Nigel Feltham

JewBoy wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 03:29:29 GMT, "Gordon Burditt" said:
>
>>>Hi Folks I wonder if somebody can help me to copy protect a C program
>>>that runs under ms-dos compilated with djgpp... and gcc

>> That's easy: DON'T SELL IT!! And perhaps you shouldn't even bother
>> writing it in the first place.
>>
>> Copy protection is a way of making software defective so that even
>> a legitimate purchaser won't want to use it. (He'll also want a
>> refund, which you should give him if you didn't notify the purchaser
>> that it was copy-protected in your advertising).

Copy protection is also a way to make sure the customer is screwed when
support for the product ends - I used to work for a software company who
produced an expensive document storage package. The early versions for DOS
were dongle protected, the later DOS and windows versions were keydisk
protected. We had to regularly replace dongles and re-activate or replace
keydisks (the disk allowed transfer of token onto hard-drive and could be
remotely reactivated if not corrupted), the company closed down 2 and a
half years ago leaving ex-customers who paid thousands per copy of the
application with no chance of replacements. How does this help anyone.

On a brighter note, our application was sold through UK and European
divisions of a large japanese multi-national (no names but think 'large
gun'), we later produced a replacement package under contract for the
japanese head division of the company (so unlike the early software they
owned the copyrights).

Move on a few years and while this newer app was being sold in a 2.x version
and develpment was progressing to a newer version the japanese company gave
the contract to their own software division in india and effectively killed
our company - leaving UK and european divisions with angry customers unable
to obtain dongles/keydisks and them to explain to customers why their head
office killed the only company who could help in persuit of cheap labour to
produce the next version of the replacement product (I wonder how many
potential buyers of the new product they lost because of this).

Isn't self-inflicted justice fun

--
Nigel Feltham - spanking trolls since 1999