Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > [OT] Apology

[OT] Apology

Joona I Palaste

I wish to apologise for my harsh wording of the message about Indian C
programmers and "u".
To further clarify:
Yes, I have noticed that many Indian programmers write "u". No, this is
not exclusive to Indians. I never said it was.
I was wrong to say that all Indians do this. They don't. Most of those
whom I saw did, but they aren't all. I overreacted, and wish to
apologise.
Note: This does not mean that Indians, even those who write "u", are
stupid or bad programmers. It is just a note about writing style.
My last sentence about Indian schools was completely out of line and
unnecessary. It was nothing but a bad joke at the Indians' expense and
is the thing that I most want to apologise about.

"To doo bee doo bee doo."
- Frank Sinatra

Irrwahn Grausewitz

Joona I Palaste <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I wish to apologise for my harsh wording of the message about Indian C
> programmers and "u".
> To further clarify:
> Yes, I have noticed that many Indian programmers write "u". No, this is
> not exclusive to Indians. I never said it was.
> I was wrong to say that all Indians do this. They don't. Most of those
> whom I saw did, but they aren't all. I overreacted, and wish to
> apologise.
> Note: This does not mean that Indians, even those who write "u", are
> stupid or bad programmers. It is just a note about writing style.
> My last sentence about Indian schools was completely out of line and
> unnecessary. It was nothing but a bad joke at the Indians' expense and
> is the thing that I most want to apologise about.

Fair enough.

Maybe we could change your original question to read:

"I've been wondering about this for too long: why is it that so many
posters I come across in this newsgroup write "u" for "you"? Many
write otherwise grammatical correct English but that one mistake
sticks out. Is there an RFC forcing them to use mangled English or
something?"

Alas, I think this has already been answered elsethread; but beating
a dead horse is less dangerous than beating a raging stallion...

Regards
--
Irrwahn
((E-Mail Removed))

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

Joona I Palaste <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bq2365$89j$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I wish to apologise for my harsh wording of the message about Indian C
> programmers and "u".
> To further clarify:
> Yes, I have noticed that many Indian programmers write "u". No, this is
> not exclusive to Indians. I never said it was.
> I was wrong to say that all Indians do this. They don't. Most of those
> whom I saw did, but they aren't all. I overreacted, and wish to
> apologise.
> Note: This does not mean that Indians, even those who write "u", are
> stupid or bad programmers. It is just a note about writing style.
> My last sentence about Indian schools was completely out of line and
> unnecessary. It was nothing but a bad joke at the Indians' expense and
> is the thing that I most want to apologise about.

There is nothing wrong about correcting or pointing out the bad
behaviors. As for the wording is concerned, I think it happened
because of cultural difference. In some societies, some words will be
harsh and in some societies the same words will be nothing serious.
For me, I was so surprised when someone in alt.english.usage told me
that asking marital status (i.e., asking "Are you married?") in
western countries is too offensive. As the intention is not bad, there
is no problem at all.

<sig>Finland rules!</sig>

No one rules, not even America or Finland or India... But, only
the money and crooked brains rules (and also divides people). I think,
the genius who belongs to the total world of C programming should
consider removing such ethnic slogan from his sig block (IMHO).

--
"Believe it or not, patriotism is one of the worst dividing forces"
http://guideme.itgo.com/atozofc/ - "A to Z of C" Project

Grumble

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:
> Joona I Palaste wrote:
>
> <sig>Finland rules!</sig>
>
> No one rules, not even America or Finland or India... But, only
> the money and crooked brains rules (and also divides people). I think,
> the genius who belongs to the total world of C programming should
> consider removing such ethnic slogan from his sig block (IMHO).

When one says "X rules", it means "X is cool". Thus "Finland rules"
means "Finland is a nice place". It does not mean "Finland has
authority, or exerts control, over anything".

Sudheer Reddy Vakati

>I wish to apologise for my harsh wording of the message about Indian C
>programmers and "u".

Personally i feel its not necessary. I dont think you have done anything
wrong to issue an apology to the newsgroup. I feel few people overreacted.

Sudheer Reddy

Joona I Palaste

Sudheer Reddy Vakati <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled the following:
>>I wish to apologise for my harsh wording of the message about Indian C
>>programmers and "u".
>>

> Personally i feel its not necessary. I dont think you have done anything
> wrong to issue an apology to the newsgroup. I feel few people overreacted.

They did overreact, true. But my apology was still necessary. My
original message came out nastier than it was supposed to.

"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to
factor large prime numbers."
- Bill Gates

Joona I Palaste

Grumble <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled the following:
> R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:
>> Joona I Palaste wrote:
>>
>> <sig>Finland rules!</sig>
>>
>> No one rules, not even America or Finland or India... But, only
>> the money and crooked brains rules (and also divides people). I think,
>> the genius who belongs to the total world of C programming should
>> consider removing such ethnic slogan from his sig block (IMHO).

> When one says "X rules", it means "X is cool". Thus "Finland rules"
> means "Finland is a nice place". It does not mean "Finland has
> authority, or exerts control, over anything".

At last that's the impression I was trying to give. Finland is a nice
place, but it does not have authority or exert control on anything
except itself.
I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear earlier.

"Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schitzophrenic and so am I."
- Bob Wiley

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

Joona I Palaste <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bq4k7u$ofl$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Grumble <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled the following:
> > R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:
> >> Joona I Palaste wrote:
> >>
> >> <sig>Finland rules!</sig>
> >>
> >> No one rules, not even America or Finland or India... But, only
> >> the money and crooked brains rules (and also divides people). I think,
> >> the genius who belongs to the total world of C programming should
> >> consider removing such ethnic slogan from his sig block (IMHO).

> > When one says "X rules", it means "X is cool". Thus "Finland rules"
> > means "Finland is a nice place". It does not mean "Finland has
> > authority, or exerts control, over anything".

Oh my!! English seems to be more strange than what I'd thought...

> At last that's the impression I was trying to give. Finland is a nice
> place, but it does not have authority or exert control on anything
> except itself.
> I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear earlier.

My sincere apologies for misunderstanding that idiom (or phrase).
BTW, you may consider idiots like me when framing words

--
"Believe it or not, patriotism is one of the worst dividing forces"
http://guideme.itgo.com/atozofc/ - "A to Z of C" Project
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com

Dan Pop

In <bq4k7u$ofl$(E-Mail Removed)> Joona I Palaste <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>At last that's the impression I was trying to give. Finland is a nice
>place, but it does not have authority or exert control on anything
>except itself.
>I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear earlier.
>
>--
>/-- Joona Palaste ((E-Mail Removed)) ------------- Finland --------\
>\-- http://www.helsinki.fi/~palaste --------------------- rules! --------/

As a matter of fact, the "Finland rules!" bit makes your sigblock look
childish/silly and, by implication, its author, too. You're neither the
first, nor the last to be proud of his country, but there is no point in
advertising this in your sigblock.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

Joona I Palaste

Dan Pop <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled the following:
> In <bq4k7u$ofl$(E-Mail Removed)> Joona I Palaste <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>At last that's the impression I was trying to give. Finland is a nice
>>place, but it does not have authority or exert control on anything
>>except itself.
>>I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear earlier.
>>
>>--
>>/-- Joona Palaste ((E-Mail Removed)) ------------- Finland --------\
>>\-- http://www.helsinki.fi/~palaste --------------------- rules! --------/

> As a matter of fact, the "Finland rules!" bit makes your sigblock look
> childish/silly and, by implication, its author, too. You're neither the
> first, nor the last to be proud of his country, but there is no point in
> advertising this in your sigblock.

I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too. If enough people
are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

"You have moved your mouse, for these changes to take effect you must shut down
and restart your computer. Do you want to restart your computer now?"
- Karri Kalpio

MCSBNGP+++ Public apology on behalf of Frisbee(R) (with bonus self-deprecation) /* MCSBNGP+++ #270-290-291-293-294-298-299# */ MCSE 21 07-29-2005 05:09 PM
My Abject Apology to all Canadians. Tabasco1 MCSE 21 09-04-2004 08:58 PM
APOLOGY Reachinout Computer Support 3 10-24-2003 01:14 AM
Re: Apology to Mr. Berserker Binh Tucker Computer Support 3 08-13-2003 02:15 PM
ron's formal apology in the MCSA group licknlabia MCSE 0 08-13-2003 12:04 AM

Advertisments