Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Is it possibl eto upgrade Aironet 350 -> 802.11g?

Is it possibl eto upgrade Aironet 350 -> 802.11g?

j2

Subject kinda says it all. Is there any chance of replacing the radio
modules of these units?

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
j2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Subject kinda says it all. Is there any chance of replacing the radio
:modules of these units?

That isn't supported. The documentation says they are not upgradable.
I've never seen one, so I don't know whether the innards could be
hacked.
--
Suppose there was a test you could take that would report whether
you had Free Will or were Pre-Destined. Would you take the test?

Doug McIntyre

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
>j2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>:Subject kinda says it all. Is there any chance of replacing the radio
>:modules of these units?

>That isn't supported. The documentation says they are not upgradable.
>I've never seen one, so I don't know whether the innards could be
>hacked.

Well, after undoing the protected torx bits (ie. the ones with the
post in the middle), you could get the radio card out, since its just
an Aironet PC card. But you'd have to have the software drivers in the
code on the 350 to support whatever card you put in there.

So, its not really viable.
--
Doug McIntyre http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades

Wence Van der Meersch

"j2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Subject kinda says it all. Is there any chance of replacing the radio
> modules of these units?

Most probably not. As Doug already pointed out you'd need support for the
..11g radio in the firmware, which the 350 most likely doesn't have (I can't
think of any reason why it should), and also the .11g radios have cardbus
interfaces, and the ap350 only supports standard pcmcia. The card inside the
AIR-AP350 is a plain AIR-LMC352, which I think is possible to replace if it
should ever fail. Better go for the 1200 AP if you want upgradeability.

Anyway I took some fairly high-res pictures of the AP350's innards for those
people who like this sort of things. You can find them at
http://www.wence.vandermeersch.org/c350/

Regards,
Wence Van der Meersch
$firstname @ $lastname . org