Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Designing an FTP Client

Designing an FTP Client

Orisopha

Dear All,

I'm currently doing a University Assignment in which I'm required to
design a simple command line FTP client. I was wondering if anyone
could point me in the right direction?

All help much appreciated,

Orisopha

Simon Biber

"Orisopha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm currently doing a University Assignment in which I'm required to
> design a simple command line FTP client. I was wondering if anyone
> could point me in the right direction?

This is off-topic on comp.lang.c as the question is not about the C
programming language. It would be better asked on comp.programming.

However, here is the definitive document describing FTP:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc959.html

--
Simon.

James Hu

On 2003-11-01, Orisopha <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm currently doing a University Assignment in which I'm required to
> design a simple command line FTP client. I was wondering if anyone
> could point me in the right direction?
>
> All help much appreciated,
>
> Orisopha

Not really topical here, but you should start with:

- a good C programming reference, such as K&R2. (use comp.lang.c
for C questions)
- the FTP RFCs, starting with RFC-0959, and depending on how complete
you implementation has to be, look at RFC-2228, RFC-2640, and
RFC-2773. (use comp.protocols.tcp-ip for questions).
- source code to existing FTP client implementations
- a good Network programming reference, but which reference you should
obtain will depend on your platform. If UNIX, you should probably
get UNIX Network Programming by the late great W. Richard Stevens.
(which newsgroup will likely depend on what platform you are
on, but you can probably ask on comp.protocols.tcp-ip, or maybe
comp.unix.programmer if you are programming on UNIX).

-- James

Peter Shaggy Haywood

Groovy hepcat Orisopha was jivin' on 1 Nov 2003 10:11:07 -0800 in
comp.lang.c.
Designing an FTP Client's a cool scene! Dig it!

>I'm currently doing a University Assignment in which I'm required to
>design a simple command line FTP client. I was wondering if anyone
>could point me in the right direction?

Sure, comp.programming is that way ->

http://alphalink.com.au/~phaywood/