Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > casting

casting

Dan Pop

In <(E-Mail Removed)> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (August Derleth) writes:

>Randy Howard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). net>...
>> In article <IRiob.1145$(E-Mail Removed)>, pichlo6
>> @pobox.sk says...

^^^^^^^^
>> > fizycally diferent hardware

>> I've some intentional typos, and some unintentional typos, but you
>> have *got* to be kidding.

>Maybe he's one of those people trying to rectify the orthography of
>the English language.
>
>Like Noah Webster and Thomas Jefferson and a few other unknown
>crazies, you know?
>
>Or, hell, maybe he's an alien who's pieced together a knowledge of
>English from cereal box tops and Ovaltine lids.
>
>Or maybe he's getting messages from his neighbor's dogs. Frightening,
>hilarious messages. Messages about typing with his left foot and
>tongue.

Or, more likely, he's not a native English language speaker and his
spelling is influenced by his native language (especially when he's
concentrating more on the contents than on the form).

Last time I checked, making fun of such issues was considered very poor
taste and an actual violation of the netiquette rules.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

Dan Pop

In <(E-Mail Removed) > (E-Mail Removed) (Mantorok Redgormor) writes:

>Christian Bau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> In article <bnscef$3tu$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) (Rouben Rostamian) wrote:
>>
>> > To what extent is it legal to cast s, which a pointer to Symbol,
>> > to type Inst, which is a pointer to a function. Is it safe to assume
>> > than any pointer type can be cast into any other pointer type?

>> Its very unsafe indeed. There have been C implementations where void*
>> was 32 bit, and a pointer to a function was 16 bits. If you cast the a
>> data pointer to a function pointer and back on such an implementation,
>> you will most likely not get the correct result.

>Does it say in the standard how wide a pointer to function can be?

Nope. For all the standard cares, a pointer to function may require more
memory than available on the target platform.

All the standard implicitly says is that void and character pointers must
be able to contain at least as much information as any other data pointer
type.

The standard treats function pointers and data pointers as two completely
different categories, that have almost nothing in common. Think about
a Harvard architecture where the data address space and the code
address space have different sizes. The most common one being the medium
model of many MSDOS C implementations (16-bit address space for data,
20-bit address space for code). Any chance to squeeze 20 bits into 16
bits?

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

Peter Pichler

"Dan Pop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bo5uuq$dkd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In <(E-Mail Removed)>

(E-Mail Removed) (August Derleth) writes:
> >Randy Howard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed). net>...
> >> In article <IRiob.1145$(E-Mail Removed)>, pichlo6
> >> @pobox.sk says...

> ^^^^^^^^
> >>
> >> I've some intentional typos, and some unintentional typos, but you
> >> have *got* to be kidding.

> >Maybe he's one of those people trying to rectify the orthography of
> >the English language.
> >
> >Like Noah Webster and Thomas Jefferson and a few other unknown
> >crazies, you know?
> >
> >Or, hell, maybe he's an alien who's pieced together a knowledge of
> >English from cereal box tops and Ovaltine lids.
> >
> >Or maybe he's getting messages from his neighbor's dogs. Frightening,
> >hilarious messages. Messages about typing with his left foot and
> >tongue.

> Or, more likely, he's not a native English language speaker and his
> spelling is influenced by his native language (especially when he's
> concentrating more on the contents than on the form).

....at 1:30 am after a night spent in a pub trying to combine playing
chess with drinking beer. Quite successfully, I must say. Especially the
latter.

> Last time I checked, making fun of such issues was considered very poor
> taste and an actual violation of the netiquette rules.

Actually, I found it quite funny. Especially the one about learning
English from cereal box tops. It reminds me how I learnt C, to bring this
back on topic

nobody

"Peter Pichler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsNCpb.6215$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Dan Pop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bo5uuq$dkd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In <(E-Mail Removed)>

> (E-Mail Removed) (August Derleth) writes:
> > >Randy Howard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<(E-Mail Removed). net>...

> > ^^^^^^^^

> > >Maybe he's one of those people trying to rectify the orthography of
> > >the English language.
> > >
> > >Like Noah Webster and Thomas Jefferson and a few other unknown
> > >crazies, you know?
> > >
> > >Or, hell, maybe he's an alien who's pieced together a knowledge of
> > >English from cereal box tops and Ovaltine lids.
> > >
> > >Or maybe he's getting messages from his neighbor's dogs. Frightening,
> > >hilarious messages. Messages about typing with his left foot and
> > >tongue.

> > Or, more likely, he's not a native English language speaker and his
> > spelling is influenced by his native language (especially when he's
> > concentrating more on the contents than on the form).

> ...at 1:30 am after a night spent in a pub trying to combine playing
> chess with drinking beer. Quite successfully, I must say. Especially the
> latter.
>
> > Last time I checked, making fun of such issues was considered very poor
> > taste and an actual violation of the netiquette rules.

> Actually, I found it quite funny. Especially the one about learning
> English from cereal box tops. It reminds me how I learnt C, to bring this
> back on topic

What I've found even more funny (and realizing it only after Dan's post,
1st time I took it for what it was, as Dan had already explained), that
you've mispelled it (root of the word) even in your mother's language.
It should be "fyzically"

CBFalconer

nobody wrote:

.... snip ...

> What I've found even more funny (and realizing it only after Dan's
> post, 1st time I took it for what it was, as Dan had already
> explained), that you've mispelled it (root of the word) even in
> your mother's language. It should be "fyzically"

Try "ghoti". Look it up. There is a connection with G.B. Shaw.

Lew Pitcher

CBFalconer wrote:

> nobody wrote:
>
> ... snip ...
>
>>What I've found even more funny (and realizing it only after Dan's
>>post, 1st time I took it for what it was, as Dan had already
>>explained), that you've mispelled it (root of the word) even in
>>your mother's language. It should be "fyzically"

> Try "ghoti". Look it up. There is a connection with G.B. Shaw.

I love fish.

Default User

CBFalconer wrote:

> Try "ghoti". Look it up. There is a connection with G.B. Shaw.

This is a kind of a dumb strawman. Although some are odd or quirky,
English does have rules. To make "fish" out of the above, you have to
violate several of those rules.

Yes, "gh" can produce an "f" sound, but only in an -ough suffix. There
are no examples that produce that sound from the letters solely paired
that I'm aware of. Similarly "ti" only makes an "sh" in certain
combinations, notably the -tion suffix. Not alone.

The only one that reasonable is the "o", and that's only by it serving
as a schwa.

Brian Rodenborn

Barry Schwarz

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 17:51:14 GMT, Default User
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>CBFalconer wrote:
>
>> Try "ghoti". Look it up. There is a connection with G.B. Shaw.

>This is a kind of a dumb strawman. Although some are odd or quirky,
>English does have rules. To make "fish" out of the above, you have to
>violate several of those rules.
>
>Yes, "gh" can produce an "f" sound, but only in an -ough suffix. There

I guess you never laugh.

<<Remove the del for email>>

Dan Pop

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Default User <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>This is a kind of a dumb strawman. Although some are odd or quirky,
>English does have rules.

But they have so many exceptions that you simply cannot rely on them.
How do you pronounce "read" according to the rules? How about "bass"?

A language where the same written word gets pronounced in a context
dependent way is simply insane. Especially from the non-native speaker's
point of view

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

CBFalconer

Dan Pop wrote:
> Default User <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > This is a kind of a dumb strawman. Although some are odd or
> > quirky, English does have rules.

> But they have so many exceptions that you simply cannot rely on
> them. How do you pronounce "read" according to the rules? How
> about "bass"?
>
> A language where the same written word gets pronounced in a
> context dependent way is simply insane. Especially from the
> non-native speaker's point of view

That is why Esperanto was invented, somewhere around a century
ago. It does not seem to have fared as well as English as a
universal medium. IIRC Latin also has many fewer irregularities
than does English, yet it too seems to have fallen into disfavor
as the universal language.

Up casting and down casting Sosuke C++ 2 12-20-2009 03:24 PM
Problem with depracated casting method (down casting) Wally Barnes C++ 3 11-20-2008 05:33 AM
type casting vs. type converting Toby VHDL 3 09-07-2005 01:42 PM
Another question about inheritance (up-casting and down-casting) kevin Java 11 01-08-2005 07:11 PM
'STD_LOGIC_VECTOR ' to 'unsigned' type casting Ben Nguyen VHDL 6 09-20-2003 05:09 PM

Advertisments