Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Empty parentheses

Empty parentheses

Jeremy Yallop

Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Mark A. Odell wrote:
>>
>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dan Pop) wrote in news:bmp4b3$b8r$(E-Mail Removed):

>> > Nope, it doesn't. It means this definition/declaration doesn't
>> > provide a prototype for this function.

>> What should I have said?

> From Dan's response, I gather that you should have said,
> "No, it doesn't. It means use the first encountered *prototype*
> to complete the prototype, and *until then* just assume that the
> user wants the default promotions applied to the arguments in
> any calls to that function."

Still not quite right, I'm afraid. Going by the OP's example code
we're talking about an empty argument list in a function /definition/.
In this case the function is defined to take no arguments, and calls
to the function which supply arguments have undefined behaviour (and
so need not be diagnosed) unless there's a separate prototype in scope
in which case such calls violate a constraint.

Jeremy.