Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Router Question

Router Question

Robert Paris

Is it possible to configure a router so it's hooked to two servers and
have it either:

1. Send requests to one server unless that one doesn't respond, and
then automatically switch over?

Is this possible for all routers currently used by the top hosting
services?

2. Send requests to two (or more) servers at once? i.e. duplicate the
requests and send to all connected servers?

I want something like this:

Router

------------------
| |
Server 1 Server 2

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Robert Paris) wrote:

> Is it possible to configure a router so it's hooked to two servers and
> have it either:
>
> 1. Send requests to one server unless that one doesn't respond, and
> then automatically switch over?
>
> Is this possible for all routers currently used by the top hosting
> services?

This is not something that ordinary routers generally do. You need
something like a Local Director. Either that, or the servers must
implement transparent failover between themselves -- ask the server
vendor whether they have any kind of clustering software that does this.

> 2. Send requests to two (or more) servers at once? i.e. duplicate the
> requests and send to all connected servers?

I've never heard of this, except in very limited contexts. E.g. when
Cisco routers are forwarding broadcasts, you can have multiple "ip
helper-address" statements and it will send to all of them. This can be
useful for DHCP server redundancy (the client will use the first
response that it gets, and send a rejection back to the other servers so
they know that the response was not used).

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA