Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > compiling

compiling

Michael Gaab

on large commercial/scientific programs, which takes that longest,
generating object code or linking?

thanks, mike

Mike Wahler

"Michael Gaab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> on large commercial/scientific programs, which takes that longest,
> generating object code or linking?

Yes. No. Maybe. The C language specifies no
requirements about the execution time of
compilers or linkers.

But in practice, the time needed for
translation (what you call 'generating
object code') will depend upon the number
and sizes of your source files.

Linking time mostly depends upon how
many and how large libraries are used. The
more and/or larger libraries you link with,
the longer it will take. And of course the
number and sizes of your 'object code' files
will contribute to this time as well.

The only way to know for sure is to do it
and measure. And this will only give you
the information for the implemenation and
platform you're using. The time could be
very different with a different implementation
and/or platform.

The application domain has nothing to do with
any of this.

-Mike

cody

> on large commercial/scientific programs, which takes that longest,
> generating object code or linking?

i guess the generation of object code takes most of the time since this step
includes parsing of the sourcecode, run of the preprocessor, generation of
code and code optimisation.

the linker only puts object files together and changes some memory adresses.

please correct me if iam wrong.

--
cody

[Freeware, Games and Humor]
www.deutronium.de.vu || www.deutronium.tk

Joe Wright

cody wrote:

> > on large commercial/scientific programs, which takes that longest,
> > generating object code or linking?

> i guess the generation of object code takes most of the time since this step
> includes parsing of the sourcecode, run of the preprocessor, generation of
> code and code optimisation.
>
> the linker only puts object files together and changes some memory adresses.
>
> please correct me if iam wrong.

OK, you're wrong. You don't know enough yet about the subject here to
offer help to other people. Rather you should be studying good books and
asking here for help as you need it. I guess that you are younger than
most of us. Grow up! Learn to type.
--
Joe Wright http://www.jw-wright.com
--- Albert Einstein ---