Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Too Big

Too Big

Morris Dovey

Kamilche wrote:
> CBFalconer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>
>> I think that indicates a failure to partition correctly. C
>> actually has very good capabilities to separate modules and
>> limit interfaces, it just isn't especially good at enforcing
>> such.

> The memory assists you get working with VB (and C++) are
> awesome. I grow weary of having to remember every function
> call for every data type... in VB, I just type the variable
> name, then a dot, and all the methods and variables pop up in
> a handy list, awaiting my selection. 'Intellisense'.

For C, I've found that the ctags approach (in combination with an
editor that suports it) provides a similar capability. Typically,
one puts the cursor on a function or variable name and uses
either a keyboard shortcut or mouse click to see the code where
the selected identifier is defined. Another keyboard shortcut
disposes of the defining code and returns the editor to the
original state.

I've worked on several large, complicated application systems in
MSWindows and *nix environments where this facility was
absolutely essential.

It's not really a language issue. It's much more an issue of
using appropriate tools. You might find the webpage at

http://ctags.sourceforge.net/tools.html

to be of some interest. I'm not certain that the list of editors
provided is comprehensive; but it looks like at least a good start.

HTH
--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA