Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > How to see the local DLCI

How to see the local DLCI

Roach4

Hi,

Is there a way to see which DLCI number we have assigned to an
interface on a cisco router?

Thanks,

David

Peter

Hi David,

Roach4 wrote:
> Is there a way to see which DLCI number we have assigned to an
> interface on a cisco router?

Hmmm, I am not too sure what you are trying to find, just looking at
the router config (sh run) should display the configuration defined
DLCI's. In addition, issuing the command "show frame-relay pvc" (with
an active frame-relay connection) will show you all router defined
DLCI's (along with their current status), plus any DLCI's that are
"active" at the providers end, but NOT defined in the router.

Whenever I am asked to bring up a new frame-relay circuit, I usually
always check on what DLCI's are visible, before I actually activate
the sub-interface. We have found that some providers give out
mis-leading info about this.....

Regards...........pk.

--
*** Replace SOMEONE with prk ***

Roach4

Peter,

Thanks for your interest.

What I'm trying to do is to know the actual DLCI defined in the router
i'm logged in.

Any idea how i could do this?

David

Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<zbENb.17523$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi David,
>
> Roach4 wrote:
> > Is there a way to see which DLCI number we have assigned to an
> > interface on a cisco router?

> Hmmm, I am not too sure what you are trying to find, just looking at
> the router config (sh run) should display the configuration defined
> DLCI's. In addition, issuing the command "show frame-relay pvc" (with
> an active frame-relay connection) will show you all router defined
> DLCI's (along with their current status), plus any DLCI's that are
> "active" at the providers end, but NOT defined in the router.
>
> Whenever I am asked to bring up a new frame-relay circuit, I usually
> always check on what DLCI's are visible, before I actually activate
> the sub-interface. We have found that some providers give out
> mis-leading info about this.....
>
> Regards...........pk.

Peter

Hi David,

> What I'm trying to do is to know the actual DLCI defined in the router
> i'm logged in.
>
> Any idea how i could do this?

Ok, it sounds like you may not be too familiar with looking at Router
configs then. Perhaps the best way we could help is if you were able
to post the relevant parts of a sanitised config... Unfortunately,
there are actually a few methods of configuring Frame-relay links
(some related to how old your IOS version is) and they all look a bit
different, so here are a few hints.

On the Router (assuming you have a login that allows you to display
the config), issue the "show run" command. Capture all the output to a
file, for later reference. There are often several different places in
a router config that you can find F/R info, however the DLCI is always
stored under the specific INTERFACE that is running the F/R
connection. Assuming your frame-relay link is connected to serial0/1
on the router, look for -

interface serial0/1
encapsulation frame-relay
... probably other lines here ...

Under that interface you may or may not find SUB-INTERFACES defined
depending on the method that was used to define your connection(s).
Look for a line reading -

frame-relay interface-dlci nnnn

or for very old configs, it may be defined under a PVC statement.
If there are multiple of these lines (and/or sub-interfaces), then you
need to know which one you are working with. Hopefully sub-interfaces
are used and whoever did the router config also used DESCRIPTION lines
on each one.

As an example you could have -

Interface Serial 0
no ip address
encapsulation frame-relay
!
interface Serial0.1 <== sub-interface
description Link to site ONE using circuit BLAH1
ip address n.n.n.n m.m.m.m
frame-relay interface-dlci 100 <== the bit you want
!
interface Serial0.2
description Link to site TWO using circuit BLAH2
ip address n.n.n.n m.m.m.m
frame-relay interface-dlci 200
!
etc...

Another way would be to issue the command -

show frame-relay pvc

and that would display all the configured and learnt DLCI info.

There may be other lines relating to traffic shaping, but they are not
relevant to the DLCI details.

I hope this helps..........pk.

--
*** Replace SOMEONE with prk ***

Frame Relay and DLCI lrantisi@gmail.com Cisco 0 08-25-2006 04:06 AM
Frame-Relay interface-dlci command with 'protocol ip' danny@weights.demon.co.uk Cisco 0 11-16-2005 11:48 PM
Max DLCI on a 1721 James Cisco 2 03-18-2005 03:36 PM
DLCI slipstream_242 Cisco 1 08-11-2004 03:28 AM
7204 IMA ATM DLCI question Tim J. Dunn Cisco 1 10-16-2003 07:01 AM

Advertisments