Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > what strspn and strpbrk stands for ?

what strspn and strpbrk stands for ?

dreamcatcher

since strcpy is the abbreviation for string copy, so I wonder what
strspn and strpbrk stands for ?

Kevin Easton

dreamcatcher <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> since strcpy is the abbreviation for string copy, so I wonder what
> strspn and strpbrk stands for ?

There was a thread on this a month or two ago, where it was mentioned
that strpbrk probably means "string pointer break", because the function
it performs is analogous to that performed by the BREAK keyword in some
earlier language (I can't remember which one).

- Kevin.

dreamcatcher

thanx, and what strspn stands for ?

Coos Haak

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 22:14:26 -0400, dreamcatcher
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>thanx, and what strspn stands for ?

First line on page 250 of K&R2

Coos

dreamcatcher

hey, pal, i don't have the book at hand, why don't you just paste the
line here, for my sake of convenience.

pete

dreamcatcher wrote:

> hey, pal, i don't have the book at hand, why don't you just paste the
> line here, for my sake of convenience.

I would, if I knew what you were talking about.

--
pete

dreamcatcher

what do you mean ? didn't I make my point ?

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, dreamcatcher wrote:

[Probably referring to pete's post in a different subthread,
referring to dreamcatcher's post which referred to someone's
post in a third subthread]

> what do you mean ? didn't I make my point ?

Your threading is broken. Something is wrong with your
newsreader.

Also, you are not posting any context for your remarks.
Usenet is a medium very concerned with context. You need
to post some idea of not only *what* you are saying, but
*why* you are saying it. I'm assuming you're trying to
ask pete to post a line from page 250 of K&R2, then asking
why he doesn't know what you are talking about. But that's
just a guess, since I don't see any context for your above
remark. You could be in the middle of a discussion about
the price of birdseed in Minsk, and just happened to post
to the wrong group, for all I know.

Fix your newsreader, and also read

http://www.google.com/search?q=usene...ing+netiquette

for more information.

-Arthur

Dave Thompson

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> thanx, and what strspn stands for ?

Span, as in go over (the prefix drawn from the match chars). That
verb was used for a similar VAX instruction, but I don't recall if
this routine was in the C standard library before the VAX came out.

strcspn is Complement Span; it would read better reversed to Span
Complement (of set), but in those days we worried about linkers that
only allowed 6 character names.

- David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net

Dan Pop

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Dave Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 22:14:26 -0400, dreamcatcher
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> thanx, and what strspn stands for ?

>Span, as in go over (the prefix drawn from the match chars). That
>verb was used for a similar VAX instruction, but I don't recall if
>this routine was in the C standard library before the VAX came out.

The VAX came out at the same time as K&R1 and there is no mention of
strspn in K&R1.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

in strspn(): what "spn" stands for? Tim Prince C Programming 5 05-29-2008 09:52 PM
Does anyone know what HTML stands for? Maaxx Java 4 02-08-2005 02:23 PM
strspn j0mbolar C Programming 1 11-23-2004 11:38 PM
Re: Who stands to benefit from C# stream of MCAD? jd@aol.com MCSD 1 08-27-2003 12:40 PM
strpbrk() amanayin C Programming 11 08-17-2003 01:33 PM

Advertisments