Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > P-t-P T1 problem - nasty ping times under use

P-t-P T1 problem - nasty ping times under use

Doug

Got an SBC point-to-point T1. If I have no traffic going across it,
the ping times are about 20ms, a little high but OK. But when the
circuit starts getting any use, the ping times jump to 200-300-400ms.
SBC says the circuit tests fine, and this is my first p-t-p so I
don't have enough experience with the config to say it's not my fault!

Here's the router config taken from my cheet sheet. I got most of
this from a Cisco "how to setup point to point T1" white paper, sorry
I don't have the exact article number in front of me. I made this for
my co-workers use, that why all of the notes.

Thanks in advance for helping out!!

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes]: no

Router> enable
Router# config t
Router(config)# hostname (what you want to name the router)
Router(config)# enable secret (what you want the "enable" password to
be)
Router(config)# end

Router# config t
Router(config)# interface fastethernet0
Router(config-if)# ip address <LAN address> <subnet mask>
Router(config-if)# ip helper-address (DHCP, DNS, WINS servers one at a
time, not required, only on remote routers)
Router(config-if)# no shutdown
Router(config-if)# end

Router# config t
Router(config)# interface serial0
Router(config-if)# ip address <WAN address> <subnet mask>
Router(config-if)# encapsulation ppp
Router(config-if)# clockrate 64000 (host router only)
Router(config-if)# no cdp enable
Router(config-if)# service-module t1 clock source internal (host
router only)
Router(config-if)# service-module t1 clock source line (remote router
only)
Router(config-if)# service-module t1 timeslots 24 speed 64
Router(config-if)# service-module t1 framing esf
Router(config-if)# service-module t1 linecode b8zs
Router(config-if)# fair que (older IOS may only be "fair")
Router(config-if)# no shutdown
Router(config-if)# end

Router# config t
Router(config)# ip route <other LAN IP> <subnet mask> <other Serial
IP> <metric> permanent
Router(config)# end

Router# config t
Router(config)# line con 0
Router(config)# password <console password>
Router(config)# login
Router(config)# line aux 0
Router(config)# line vty 0 4
Router(config)# password <telnet password>
Router(config)# login
Router(config)# end

Router# write memory
Router# reload

Doug

I thought I would add that I'm getting lots of errors on the serial
interface: In less than 24 hours of use...

48243 input error
2970 CRC error
21406 frame
23866 abort

"Doug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Got an SBC point-to-point T1. If I have no traffic going across it,
> the ping times are about 20ms, a little high but OK. But when the
> circuit starts getting any use, the ping times jump to 200-300-400ms.
> SBC says the circuit tests fine, and this is my first p-t-p so I
> don't have enough experience with the config to say it's not my fault!
>
> Here's the router config taken from my cheet sheet. I got most of
> this from a Cisco "how to setup point to point T1" white paper, sorry
> I don't have the exact article number in front of me. I made this for
> my co-workers use, that why all of the notes.
>
> Thanks in advance for helping out!!
>

> Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes]: no
>
> Router> enable
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# hostname (what you want to name the router)
> Router(config)# enable secret (what you want the "enable" password to
> be)
> Router(config)# end
>
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# interface fastethernet0
> Router(config-if)# ip address <LAN address> <subnet mask>
> Router(config-if)# ip helper-address (DHCP, DNS, WINS servers one at a
> time, not required, only on remote routers)
> Router(config-if)# no shutdown
> Router(config-if)# end
>
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# interface serial0
> Router(config-if)# ip address <WAN address> <subnet mask>
> Router(config-if)# encapsulation ppp
> Router(config-if)# clockrate 64000 (host router only)
> Router(config-if)# no cdp enable
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 clock source internal (host
> router only)
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 clock source line (remote router
> only)
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 timeslots 24 speed 64
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 framing esf
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 linecode b8zs
> Router(config-if)# fair que (older IOS may only be "fair")
> Router(config-if)# no shutdown
> Router(config-if)# end
>
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# ip route <other LAN IP> <subnet mask> <other Serial
> IP> <metric> permanent
> Router(config)# end
>
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# line con 0
> Router(config)# password <console password>
> Router(config)# login
> Router(config)# line aux 0
> Router(config)# line vty 0 4
> Router(config)# password <telnet password>
> Router(config)# login
> Router(config)# end
>
> Router# write memory
> Router# reload

Doug

Here's the Cisco document I used as a base...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk71...80094504.shtml

--
REMOVE the indicated text from the reply
address.

"Doug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Got an SBC point-to-point T1. If I have no traffic going across it,
> the ping times are about 20ms, a little high but OK. But when the
> circuit starts getting any use, the ping times jump to 200-300-400ms.
> SBC says the circuit tests fine, and this is my first p-t-p so I
> don't have enough experience with the config to say it's not my fault!
>
> Here's the router config taken from my cheet sheet. I got most of
> this from a Cisco "how to setup point to point T1" white paper, sorry
> I don't have the exact article number in front of me. I made this for
> my co-workers use, that why all of the notes.
>
> Thanks in advance for helping out!!
>

> Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes]: no
>
> Router> enable
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# hostname (what you want to name the router)
> Router(config)# enable secret (what you want the "enable" password to
> be)
> Router(config)# end
>
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# interface fastethernet0
> Router(config-if)# ip address <LAN address> <subnet mask>
> Router(config-if)# ip helper-address (DHCP, DNS, WINS servers one at a
> time, not required, only on remote routers)
> Router(config-if)# no shutdown
> Router(config-if)# end
>
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# interface serial0
> Router(config-if)# ip address <WAN address> <subnet mask>
> Router(config-if)# encapsulation ppp
> Router(config-if)# clockrate 64000 (host router only)
> Router(config-if)# no cdp enable
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 clock source internal (host
> router only)
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 clock source line (remote router
> only)
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 timeslots 24 speed 64
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 framing esf
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 linecode b8zs
> Router(config-if)# fair que (older IOS may only be "fair")
> Router(config-if)# no shutdown
> Router(config-if)# end
>
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# ip route <other LAN IP> <subnet mask> <other Serial
> IP> <metric> permanent
> Router(config)# end
>
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# line con 0
> Router(config)# password <console password>
> Router(config)# login
> Router(config)# line aux 0
> Router(config)# line vty 0 4
> Router(config)# password <telnet password>
> Router(config)# login
> Router(config)# end
>
> Router# write memory
> Router# reload

Hansang Bae

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> Got an SBC point-to-point T1. If I have no traffic going across it,
> the ping times are about 20ms, a little high but OK. But when the
> circuit starts getting any use, the ping times jump to 200-300-400ms.
> SBC says the circuit tests fine, and this is my first p-t-p so I
> don't have enough experience with the config to say it's not my fault!
>
> Here's the router config taken from my cheet sheet. I got most of
> this from a Cisco "how to setup point to point T1" white paper, sorry
> I don't have the exact article number in front of me. I made this for
> my co-workers use, that why all of the notes.

Why are you setting the clock rate to 64Kbps? Either let the telco
provide the clock and have everyone learn it from the line, or crank up
your clockrate.

Any you also have way too many errors on the interface.

Go to Cisco.com and search for "WAN Troubleshooting" article in the
Packet magazine. I believe it was in the Dec 02 issue.

--

hsb

Doug

> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Got an SBC point-to-point T1. If I have no traffic going across it,
> > the ping times are about 20ms, a little high but OK. But when the
> > circuit starts getting any use, the ping times jump to 200-300-400ms.
> > SBC says the circuit tests fine, and this is my first p-t-p so I
> > don't have enough experience with the config to say it's not my fault!
> >
> > Here's the router config taken from my cheet sheet. I got most of
> > this from a Cisco "how to setup point to point T1" white paper, sorry
> > I don't have the exact article number in front of me. I made this for
> > my co-workers use, that why all of the notes.
> >

> Why are you setting the clock rate to 64Kbps? Either let the telco
> provide the clock and have everyone learn it from the line, or crank up
> your clockrate.

That's what the Cisco sheet had, but I upped it to 2M yesterday, I can't
tell if it helped but I don't think so. I thought that I had to provide
the clock source on one end??

> Any you also have way too many errors on the interface.
>
> Go to Cisco.com and search for "WAN Troubleshooting" article in the
> Packet magazine. I believe it was in the Dec 02 issue.

Thanks, will do. Also got the Troubleshooting Serial Line Problems
document to look at...

Doug

The erros must have been from the setup process. I cleared the
counters and the errors have remained at 0 for all.

"Doug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<L_tNb.59514$nt4.88759@attbi_s51>...
> [...]
> > Router(config-if)# service-module t1 clock source line (remote router
> > only)
> > Router(config-if)# service-module t1 timeslots 24 speed 64
> > Router(config-if)# service-module t1 framing esf
> > Router(config-if)# service-module t1 linecode b8zs
> > Router(config-if)# fair que (older IOS may only be "fair")
> > Router(config-if)# no shutdown
> > Router(config-if)# end
> >
> > Router# config t
> > Router(config)# ip route <other LAN IP> <subnet mask> <other Serial
> > IP> <metric> permanent
> > Router(config)# end
> >
> > Router# config t
> > Router(config)# line con 0
> > Router(config)# password <console password>
> > Router(config)# login
> > Router(config)# line aux 0
> > Router(config)# line vty 0 4
> > Router(config)# password <telnet password>

Doug

Just a follow up & give more info on my troubleshooting steps....

Upped the clock rate to 2M & 4M on the "host" router, no change.
Changed clock source to line on both routers, no change.

I had mentioned a ton of errors, but after clearing the counters I
have not had any more errors. Those must have come from the setup
period.

I have done extended pings with all 0's & 1's, all successfull.

Telco says the circuit is OK.

(E-Mail Removed) (Doug) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Got an SBC point-to-point T1. If I have no traffic going across it,
> the ping times are about 20ms, a little high but OK. But when the
> circuit starts getting any use, the ping times jump to 200-300-400ms.
> SBC says the circuit tests fine, and this is my first p-t-p so I
> don't have enough experience with the config to say it's not my fault!
>
> Here's the router config taken from my cheet sheet. I got most of
> this from a Cisco "how to setup point to point T1" white paper, sorry
> I don't have the exact article number in front of me. I made this for
> my co-workers use, that why all of the notes.
>
> Thanks in advance for helping out!!
>

> Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes]: no
>
> Router> enable
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# hostname (what you want to name the router)
> Router(config)# enable secret (what you want the "enable" password to
> be)
> Router(config)# end
>
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# interface fastethernet0
> Router(config-if)# ip address <LAN address> <subnet mask>
> Router(config-if)# ip helper-address (DHCP, DNS, WINS servers one at a
> time, not required, only on remote routers)
> Router(config-if)# no shutdown
> Router(config-if)# end
>
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# interface serial0
> Router(config-if)# ip address <WAN address> <subnet mask>
> Router(config-if)# encapsulation ppp
> Router(config-if)# clockrate 64000 (host router only)
> Router(config-if)# no cdp enable
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 clock source internal (host
> router only)
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 clock source line (remote router
> only)
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 timeslots 24 speed 64
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 framing esf
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 linecode b8zs
> Router(config-if)# fair que (older IOS may only be "fair")
> Router(config-if)# no shutdown
> Router(config-if)# end
>
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# ip route <other LAN IP> <subnet mask> <other Serial
> IP> <metric> permanent
> Router(config)# end
>
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# line con 0
> Router(config)# password <console password>
> Router(config)# login
> Router(config)# line aux 0
> Router(config)# line vty 0 4
> Router(config)# password <telnet password>
> Router(config)# login
> Router(config)# end
>
> Router# write memory
> Router# reload

David

You should use the Telco clock, as that is the one that they use.

> > In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > > Got an SBC point-to-point T1. If I have no traffic going across it,
> > > the ping times are about 20ms, a little high but OK. But when the
> > > circuit starts getting any use, the ping times jump to 200-300-400ms.
> > > SBC says the circuit tests fine, and this is my first p-t-p so I
> > > don't have enough experience with the config to say it's not my fault!
> > >
> > > Here's the router config taken from my cheet sheet. I got most of
> > > this from a Cisco "how to setup point to point T1" white paper, sorry
> > > I don't have the exact article number in front of me. I made this for
> > > my co-workers use, that why all of the notes.
> > >

> > Why are you setting the clock rate to 64Kbps? Either let the telco
> > provide the clock and have everyone learn it from the line, or crank up
> > your clockrate.

> That's what the Cisco sheet had, but I upped it to 2M yesterday, I can't
> tell if it helped but I don't think so. I thought that I had to provide
> the clock source on one end??
>

> > Any you also have way too many errors on the interface.
> >
> > Go to Cisco.com and search for "WAN Troubleshooting" article in the
> > Packet magazine. I believe it was in the Dec 02 issue.

> Thanks, will do. Also got the Troubleshooting Serial Line Problems
> document to look at...

Mike Gallagher

The clockrate command you have is going to be ignored because you are
the DTE on both sides of this T1. Best to just remove it. Also best
to change the clock source to line in both cases.

Why are you using PPP? If you have Cisco on both sides, just stick
with the default HDLC.

Mike

(E-Mail Removed) (Doug) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Got an SBC point-to-point T1. If I have no traffic going across it,
> the ping times are about 20ms, a little high but OK. But when the
> circuit starts getting any use, the ping times jump to 200-300-400ms.
> SBC says the circuit tests fine, and this is my first p-t-p so I
> don't have enough experience with the config to say it's not my fault!
>
> Here's the router config taken from my cheet sheet. I got most of
> this from a Cisco "how to setup point to point T1" white paper, sorry
> I don't have the exact article number in front of me. I made this for
> my co-workers use, that why all of the notes.
>
> Thanks in advance for helping out!!
>

> Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes]: no
>
> Router> enable
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# hostname (what you want to name the router)
> Router(config)# enable secret (what you want the "enable" password to
> be)
> Router(config)# end
>
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# interface fastethernet0
> Router(config-if)# ip address <LAN address> <subnet mask>
> Router(config-if)# ip helper-address (DHCP, DNS, WINS servers one at a
> time, not required, only on remote routers)
> Router(config-if)# no shutdown
> Router(config-if)# end
>
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# interface serial0
> Router(config-if)# ip address <WAN address> <subnet mask>
> Router(config-if)# encapsulation ppp
> Router(config-if)# clockrate 64000 (host router only)
> Router(config-if)# no cdp enable
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 clock source internal (host
> router only)
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 clock source line (remote router
> only)
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 timeslots 24 speed 64
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 framing esf
> Router(config-if)# service-module t1 linecode b8zs
> Router(config-if)# fair que (older IOS may only be "fair")
> Router(config-if)# no shutdown
> Router(config-if)# end
>
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# ip route <other LAN IP> <subnet mask> <other Serial
> IP> <metric> permanent
> Router(config)# end
>
> Router# config t
> Router(config)# line con 0
> Router(config)# password <console password>
> Router(config)# login
> Router(config)# line aux 0
> Router(config)# line vty 0 4
> Router(config)# password <telnet password>
> Router(config)# login
> Router(config)# end
>
> Router# write memory
> Router# reload

Doug

Removed the clock rate
Set clock source to "line" on both routers
And most of all... timeslots should be "1-24" not just "24" (bad Cisco
white-paper, bad bad!!!)

Pinging at 4ms now, <10 under load!!