Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Problem with Frame-Relay

Problem with Frame-Relay

dec26wei

Hi,
There are two sites with routers A and B connected by a frame-relay pvc
link, two routers can ping each other's WAN link address. The wan link
network, a.b.c.0/24 is being advertised from Router A.
Router A see the route a.b.c.232/30 as connected.
Router B has a static route to the PVC link, ip route a.b.c.0 255.255.255.0
a.b.c.233

the connection looks like below:
workstation -> internet -> router A .233 <- frame-relay PVC -> .234 router B
(-> internet)

Between router A and B, they can ping each other's WAN link.
The workstaion can traceroute to a.b.c.234.
The workstation can ping a.b.c.233, but can't ping a.b.c.234

What am I missing? why I can't ping .234 on the router B from the wkstation?
How can I troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

Hsun

Pasquale

Assuming I understand your description of the problem, I think your problem
is that Router B doesn't know about the ethernet network off of Router A
where the workstation resides. Try doing an extended ping from Router A to
the .234 address of Router B and use Routers A's ethernet's interface IP
address as the source address. You'll probably have the same result. Look
at the routing table on router B.

"dec26wei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YEoNb.41095$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> Hi,
> There are two sites with routers A and B connected by a frame-relay pvc
> link, two routers can ping each other's WAN link address. The wan link
> network, a.b.c.0/24 is being advertised from Router A.
> Router A see the route a.b.c.232/30 as connected.
> Router B has a static route to the PVC link, ip route a.b.c.0

255.255.255.0
> a.b.c.233
>
> the connection looks like below:
> workstation -> internet -> router A .233 <- frame-relay PVC -> .234 router

> (-> internet)
>
> Between router A and B, they can ping each other's WAN link.
> The workstaion can traceroute to a.b.c.234.
> The workstation can ping a.b.c.233, but can't ping a.b.c.234
>
> What am I missing? why I can't ping .234 on the router B from the

wkstation?
> How can I troubleshoot this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hsun

Aaron

If you can traceroute to .234 from workstation, there is connectivity.
Have you check your ACL on both router? Make sure they are not denying
ICMP PING (ecoh and echo-reply).

2c

dec26wei wrote:

> Hi,
> There are two sites with routers A and B connected by a frame-relay pvc
> link, two routers can ping each other's WAN link address. The wan link
> network, a.b.c.0/24 is being advertised from Router A.
> Router A see the route a.b.c.232/30 as connected.
> Router B has a static route to the PVC link, ip route a.b.c.0 255.255.255.0
> a.b.c.233
>
> the connection looks like below:
> workstation -> internet -> router A .233 <- frame-relay PVC -> .234 router B
> (-> internet)
>
> Between router A and B, they can ping each other's WAN link.
> The workstaion can traceroute to a.b.c.234.
> The workstation can ping a.b.c.233, but can't ping a.b.c.234
>
> What am I missing? why I can't ping .234 on the router B from the wkstation?
> How can I troubleshoot this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hsun

Phillip Remaker

"dec26wei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YEoNb.41095$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> The wan link
> network, a.b.c.0/24 is being advertised from Router A.
> Router A see the route a.b.c.232/30 as connected.
> Router B has a static route to the PVC link, ip route a.b.c.0

255.255.255.0
> a.b.c.233
>
> the connection looks like below:
> workstation -> internet -> router A .233 <- frame-relay PVC -> .234 router

> (-> internet)
>
> Between router A and B, they can ping each other's WAN link.
> The workstaion can traceroute to a.b.c.234.
> The workstation can ping a.b.c.233, but can't ping a.b.c.234

Sounds like a.b.c.243 does nmot have a route to the subnet of the
workstation. Are you running a routing protocol? Also looks like you are
doing Variable length subnet masks. Have you set "ip classless"? "ip
subnet-zero"? (If you use a 0 subnet). Also, is the network contiguous?
Do all devices belong to a.b.c.x? You may want to list the real
addresses.....

dec26wei

Thank you all.

They were all in the same class C. No other protocol is running, just
static routes. I finally found the router B (customer site and I don't have
access to it) was given a smaller range from that class C for the static
route to the pvc and the workstation was not in that range (Uhh..., wasn't
from me). The links didn't have any ACLs. I put a inbound and outbound ACL
to the links, then debugging ip icmp and found the packets never came back.

Thanks again!

Hsun