Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > cisco logging to syslogd?

cisco logging to syslogd?

Didier

Hi,
I've these entries on my router:
logging facility local0
logging source-interface FastEthernet0
logging x.y.z.y

In my freebsd box /etc/syslogd.conf file:
local0.* /var/log/cisco.log

When running tcpdump, I can see that a syslog message arrives at my freebsd
box:
14:37:50.785983 myrouter.57372 > x.y.z.y.syslog: udp 77

The file /var/log/cisco.log has no entries, why, what did I misconfigure?

thx a lot?

Didier

Of course )
> Of course you did restart the syslogd?
>

> --
> Us - http://www.sweet-sorrow.com
> -----
> All trespassers will be shot,
> survivers will be shot again.
> Remove the bizzare part of address to reply by e-mail.

Bob { Goddard }

Didier wrote:

> Of course )

And are you passing the switch to syslogd
which tells it to accept remote messages?

>> Of course you did restart the syslogd?

--
http://www.mailtrap.org.uk/

Martin Bilgrav

show logg is your friend...

How many log does it say it have sent ?

Or try :
logg on
logg trap deb
HTH
Martin Bilgrav

"Didier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4003f694$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I've these entries on my router:
> logging facility local0
> logging source-interface FastEthernet0
> logging x.y.z.y
>
> In my freebsd box /etc/syslogd.conf file:
> local0.* /var/log/cisco.log
>
> When running tcpdump, I can see that a syslog message arrives at my

freebsd
> box:
> 14:37:50.785983 myrouter.57372 > x.y.z.y.syslog: udp 77
>
> The file /var/log/cisco.log has no entries, why, what did I misconfigure?
>
> thx a lot?

Vincent C Jones

In article <4003f694$(E-Mail Removed)>, Didier <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi,
>I've these entries on my router:
>logging facility local0
>logging source-interface FastEthernet0
>logging x.y.z.y
>
>In my freebsd box /etc/syslogd.conf file:
>local0.* /var/log/cisco.log

.. . .

>The file /var/log/cisco.log has no entries, why, what did I misconfigure?

Typical syslog failure causes (from most to least likely
1 - not restarting syslogd after making changes
2 - syslogd not configured to log remote systems
3 - log file specified does not exist
4 - log file exists but syslogd lacks permission to append to it
5 - software defects

Good luck and good hunting!
http://www.networkingunlimited.com

Us

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:45:59 +0100
"Didier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
> I've these entries on my router:
> logging facility local0
> logging source-interface FastEthernet0
> logging x.y.z.y
>
> In my freebsd box /etc/syslogd.conf file:
> local0.* /var/log/cisco.log
>
> When running tcpdump, I can see that a syslog message arrives at my
> freebsd box:
> 14:37:50.785983 myrouter.57372 > x.y.z.y.syslog: udp 77
>
> The file /var/log/cisco.log has no entries, why, what did I
> misconfigure?
>
> thx a lot?

Of course you did restart the syslogd?

--
Us - http://www.sweet-sorrow.com
-----
All trespassers will be shot,
survivers will be shot again.
Remove the bizzare part of address to reply by e-mail.

Richard Antony Burton

"Didier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4003f694$(E-Mail Removed)...

> In my freebsd box /etc/syslogd.conf file:
> local0.* /var/log/cisco.log

Make sure you don't have something higher up you config that may be
swallowing your messages.

I had:
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none /var/log/messages

in mine that was swallowing all the info messages. I had to change it to:
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;local5.no ne
/var/log/messages

to not swallow the local5 ones too.

Richard.

Didier

> And are you passing the switch to syslogd
> which tells it to accept remote messages?

What do you mean by "passing the switch to syslogd"?

vern

have you restarted syslogd with remote host logging enabled? I think you
do this by running syslogd -h? If in doubt man syslogd

vern

vern

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:59:19 +0000, vern wrote:

> have you restarted syslogd with remote host logging enabled? I think you
> do this by running syslogd -h? If in doubt man syslogd
>

> vern

sorry that should be syslogd -r