Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: cannot compile same code on RHL 7.2 and 9.0

Re: cannot compile same code on RHL 7.2 and 9.0

Derk Gwen

"Slavisa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
# Yes, i have. Why ? Is that the problem ? Thats strange.

# > Do you have a header file that ends in something like
# > #endif
# > without a new line after the #endif or some other final preprocessor
# command?

Depending on the compiler, if there is no end of line at the end of an included
file, the preprocessor paste the last line onto the front of the next line of
the including file.

If you have something like
------------alpha.c
#include "beta.h"
#include "gamma.h"
int omega(void) {...}<<EOF>>
------------beta.h
#ifndef beta_h
#define beta_h
int upsilon(void) {...}
#endif<<EOF>>
------------gamma.h
int zeta(void) {...}<<EOF>>

Then on some systems, this is pasted into a source

#ifndef beta_h
#define beta_h
int upsilon(void) {...}
#endif int zeta(void) {...} int omega(void) {...}<<EOF>>

Pasting int zeta... and int omega... onto one line is not a problem, because
new lines are no more signficant than blanks to the compiler, but they are
special for preprocessor instructions: pasting the C functions onto the same
line as a preprocessor line can have all sorts of adverse effects.

The problem could be something else of course, but I usually see these
kinds of errors in this case, or in case of an omitted semicolon (.

Haven't you ever heard the customer is always right?

Joona I Palaste

Nils Petter Vaskinn <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled the following:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 00:18:57 +0000, Derk Gwen wrote:
>> ------------alpha.c
>> #include "beta.h"
>> #include "gamma.h"
>> int omega(void) {...}<<EOF>>
>> ------------beta.h
>> #ifndef beta_h
>> #define beta_h
>> int upsilon(void) {...}
>> #endif<<EOF>>
>> ------------gamma.h
>> int zeta(void) {...}<<EOF>>

> alpha, beta, gamma, epsilon .....

> whatever happened to foo, bar and baz? I thought they where the
> accepted names

> Any day now people are gonna start renaming i to loop_var and n to count,
> we're doomed I say, doomed.

I normally use foo and bar, but if I know I'm going to use exactly
four names, I use om, mane, padme and hum. I once used the variable
name janisistuimaassatorkkuentorkkuen in a Pascal homework program.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ((E-Mail Removed)) ---------------------------\
"C++. C++ run. Run, ++, run."