Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Problem with FCLOSE

Reply
Thread Tools

Problem with FCLOSE

 
 
Marcus Jacobs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2003
Dear Group

I have encountered a problem with fclose and I am wondering if anyone
could provide some insight about this problem to me. Currently, I am
working on a small personal project that is requiring for me to alter
some existing code to a program. While running the unaltered code, I
kept encountering an application (The exception unknown software
exception(0xc00000fd) etc. .. etc... etc... I am running W2K Pro).
Through a bit of debugging I singled out where the problem is
occuring. It is occuring when it attemps to close a file that had
previously been open. While tinkering with this problem, I noticed
that no error occured while closing when I manually entered the file
name into the source code. The error only occured when the user has to
key-in the file name from a command line (this is how I wish for the
program to run). What is causing this problem? Below I have provided
some source code to the function that is causing the problem. Here is
the version of the source in which no error occurs. I have set the
string, finc_name, to the file name "all.inc". Normally, the array is
set to a default of size 80 similar to fpov_name. I have also
commented out the portion of the code which prompts the user to key-in
the file name.

Thanks


Marcus D. Jacobs






#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <ctype.h>
#include <string.h>
#include "numtypes.h"
/* #include "numtable.h"*/

typedef struct
{
Word x,r,g,b;
} colorinfo;


FILE *finc, *fpov, *frad;
char ch, frad_name[80], finc_name[] = "all.inc", fpov_name[80] ,
is_num;
char *pov_word;
char chpov , colorend='f';
colorinfo color;
Word texture[2600];


void reads_triangle(Word pov_num);
void reads_smoothtriangle(Word pov_num);
void reads_inc(void);
void reads_color(void);
void reads_texture(void);



main(void)
{
int m=1, n, j;
char chtext, finish;
char *inc_word;
int isize;

int j2;

/*
printf("Enter POV include file name ( *.inc ) : ");
gets(finc_name);
printf("\n");
*/

finc=fopen(finc_name, "r");
chtext = getc(finc);

if (finc==NULL)
{ printf(" Can't open %s\n", finc);
exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
}
while (chtext != EOF )
{
finish ='f';
if ( ( inc_word = malloc(25)) == NULL )
{ printf("Out of memory");
exit(EXIT_FAILURE);;
}
while (isspace(chtext)) chtext = getc(finc);
j=0;
while (chtext != EOF && isspace(chtext) == 0)
{ inc_word[j++] = chtext;
chtext = getc(finc);
}

inc_word[j] = '\0';

if (strcmp(inc_word, "texture") == 0 && finish == 'f')
{ while (isspace(chtext)) chtext = getc(finc);
n=0;
chtext = getc(finc);
while ( chtext != '}' )
{
texture[m][n++] = chtext;
chtext = getc(finc);
}
texture[m][n] = '\0';
/* printf(" texture = %s ", texture[m]);*/
m++;
finish = 't';
}
free(inc_word);
}

fclose(finc);
}
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Eric Sosman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2003
Marcus Jacobs wrote:
> [...]
> char ch, frad_name[80], finc_name[] = "all.inc", fpov_name[80] ,
> [...]
> gets(finc_name);


Here's at least one problem; there may be others. The
`finc_name' array is only eight characters long, so it can't
hold a string any longer than seven characters plus the
terminating '\0'. If the user types a longer name, the extra
characters won't fit in the array, and will most likely stomp
all over the nearby memory. What happens next is unpredictable,
but is unlikely to be a Happy Experience.

By the way, don't use gets(). See Question 12.23 in the
comp.lang.c Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) list

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

--
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2003
On 5 Aug 2003 14:53:20 -0700
(E-Mail Removed) (Marcus Jacobs) wrote:

> Dear Group
>
> I have encountered a problem with fclose and I am wondering if anyone
> could provide some insight about this problem to me. Currently, I am
> working on a small personal project that is requiring for me to alter
> some existing code to a program. While running the unaltered code, I
> kept encountering an application (The exception unknown software
> exception(0xc00000fd) etc. .. etc... etc... I am running W2K Pro).
> Through a bit of debugging I singled out where the problem is
> occuring. It is occuring when it attemps to close a file that had
> previously been open. While tinkering with this problem, I noticed
> that no error occured while closing when I manually entered the file
> name into the source code. The error only occured when the user has to
> key-in the file name from a command line (this is how I wish for the
> program to run). What is causing this problem? Below I have provided
> some source code to the function that is causing the problem. Here is
> the version of the source in which no error occurs. I have set the
> string, finc_name, to the file name "all.inc". Normally, the array is
> set to a default of size 80 similar to fpov_name. I have also
> commented out the portion of the code which prompts the user to key-in
> the file name.
>
> Thanks
>
>
> Marcus D. Jacobs
>
>
>
>
>
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <stdlib.h>
> #include <ctype.h>
> #include <string.h>
> #include "numtypes.h"
> /* #include "numtable.h"*/
>
> typedef struct
> {
> Word x,r,g,b;
> } colorinfo;
>
>
> FILE *finc, *fpov, *frad;
> char ch, frad_name[80], finc_name[] = "all.inc", fpov_name[80] ,
> is_num;
> char *pov_word;
> char chpov , colorend='f';
> colorinfo color;
> Word texture[2600];

You have not shown us the definition of Word, so we don't know what type
texture is.
>
>
> void reads_triangle(Word pov_num);
> void reads_smoothtriangle(Word pov_num);
> void reads_inc(void);
> void reads_color(void);
> void reads_texture(void);
>
>
>
> main(void)

int main(void)

> {
> int m=1, n, j;
> char chtext, finish;
> char *inc_word;
> int isize;
>
> int j2;
>
> /*
> printf("Enter POV include file name ( *.inc ) : ");
> gets(finc_name);

When this is uncommented, if the user enters a file name longer than the
buffer you have just blown up your program.

> printf("\n");
> */
>
> finc=fopen(finc_name, "r");
> chtext = getc(finc);

Surely this should be after you've checked the open worked? Otherwise
*BANG*

> if (finc==NULL)
> { printf(" Can't open %s\n", finc);
> exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
> }
> while (chtext != EOF )

EOF might not fit in a char so chtext should have been declared as an
int rather than a char.

> {
> finish ='f';
> if ( ( inc_word = malloc(25)) == NULL )
> { printf("Out of memory");
> exit(EXIT_FAILURE);;
> }
> while (isspace(chtext)) chtext = getc(finc);
> j=0;
> while (chtext != EOF && isspace(chtext) == 0)
> { inc_word[j++] = chtext;
> chtext = getc(finc);
> }
>
> inc_word[j] = '\0';

If a 25 character (or longer) word was entered you've just blown things
up again. You might want to either limit the above loop or use realloc.

> if (strcmp(inc_word, "texture") == 0 && finish == 'f')
> { while (isspace(chtext)) chtext = getc(finc);
> n=0;
> chtext = getc(finc);
> while ( chtext != '}' )
> {
> texture[m][n++] = chtext;
> chtext = getc(finc);
> }

Again, not check on going passed the end of the array. Also you are not
checking to see if getc succeeds.

> texture[m][n] = '\0';
> /* printf(" texture = %s ", texture[m]);*/
> m++;
> finish = 't';
> }
> free(inc_word);
> }
>
> fclose(finc);
> }


There are probably other errors with the program, I could not be
bothered to check it carefully since it is so bad. I would also suggest
checking the FAQ for comp.lang.c (google will find it) for the correct
way to handle checking the results of file operations and probably
almost everything else in the program.
--
Mark Gordon
Paid to be a Geek & a Senior Software Developer
Although my email address says spamtrap, it is real and I read it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jens.Toerring@physik.fu-berlin.de
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2003
Marcus Jacobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have encountered a problem with fclose and I am wondering if anyone
> could provide some insight about this problem to me. Currently, I am
> working on a small personal project that is requiring for me to alter
> some existing code to a program. While running the unaltered code, I
> kept encountering an application (The exception unknown software
> exception(0xc00000fd) etc. .. etc... etc... I am running W2K Pro).
> Through a bit of debugging I singled out where the problem is
> occuring. It is occuring when it attemps to close a file that had
> previously been open. While tinkering with this problem, I noticed
> that no error occured while closing when I manually entered the file
> name into the source code. The error only occured when the user has to
> key-in the file name from a command line (this is how I wish for the
> program to run). What is causing this problem? Below I have provided
> some source code to the function that is causing the problem. Here is
> the version of the source in which no error occurs. I have set the
> string, finc_name, to the file name "all.inc". Normally, the array is
> set to a default of size 80 similar to fpov_name. I have also
> commented out the portion of the code which prompts the user to key-in
> the file name.



> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <stdlib.h>
> #include <ctype.h>
> #include <string.h>
> #include "numtypes.h"
> /* #include "numtable.h"*/


> typedef struct
> {
> Word x,r,g,b;
> } colorinfo;



> FILE *finc, *fpov, *frad;
> char ch, frad_name[80], finc_name[] = "all.inc", fpov_name[80] ,
> is_num;
> char *pov_word;
> char chpov , colorend='f';
> colorinfo color;
> Word texture[2600];



> void reads_triangle(Word pov_num);
> void reads_smoothtriangle(Word pov_num);
> void reads_inc(void);
> void reads_color(void);
> void reads_texture(void);


> main(void)


int main( void )

since main() is supposed to return an int.

> {
> int m=1, n, j;
> char chtext, finish;
> char *inc_word;
> int isize;


> int j2;


> /*
> printf("Enter POV include file name ( *.inc ) : ");


You better add here

fflush( stdout );

or the user may not see the request.

> gets(finc_name);


Never, ever use gets(). You will never be able to ascertain that the
user does not enter a file name that's longer than the length of the
buffer you supply. Use fgets().

> printf("\n");
> */


> finc=fopen(finc_name, "r");
> chtext = getc(finc);
>
> if (finc==NULL)
> {
> printf(" Can't open %s\n", finc);
> exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
> }


You need to check if fopen() was successful *before* you call getc().
And you must make 'chtext' an int, not a char. Otherwise you won't be
able to check for EOF. EOF is a return value of getc() that can't be
stored in a char.

> while (chtext != EOF )
> {
> finish ='f';
> if ( ( inc_word = malloc(25)) == NULL )
> {
> printf("Out of memory");
> exit(EXIT_FAILURE);;
> }
> while (isspace(chtext)) chtext = getc(finc);


What is supposed to happen when getc() returns EOF, e.g. because the
input file is broken and does not look like you expect it?

> j=0;
> while (chtext != EOF && isspace(chtext) == 0)
> {
> inc_word[j++] = chtext;
> chtext = getc(finc);
> }


You never check that you don't get more than 24 characters in a row.
If this happens you write past the end of the memory you allocated.

> inc_word[j] = '\0';
>
> if (strcmp(inc_word, "texture") == 0 && finish == 'f')
> {
> while (isspace(chtext)) chtext = getc(finc);
> n=0;
> chtext = getc(finc);
> while ( chtext != '}' )
> {
> texture[m][n++] = chtext;


'texture' is declared as an array of 'Word' (whatever that's supposed
to be). Unless 'Word' is some kind of array (of chars?) and not just a
pointer to an array this looks fishy, to say the least. Even assuming
that 'Word' is typedef'ed to be an array of chars you don't check that
you don't write past its end. And if you do anything can happen.

Finally, since you start with m = 1, why don't you want to use the
first element of 'texture'?

> chtext = getc(finc);
> }
> texture[m][n] = '\0';
> /* printf(" texture = %s ", texture[m]);*/
> m++;
> finish = 't';
> }


And you also don't make sure that you don't read more elements into
'texture' than the 2600 'Word's you declared.

> free(inc_word);
> }
>
> fclose(finc);


You probably have been written into some memory you don't own,
overwriting some important structure for the file pointer. And
now you get what you deserve You might be unlucky in not
getting an error when you comment out the stuff for getting
the file name from the user because of a different layout of
the executable. But that does not mean that your program is
correct.

> }


And finally you're missing returning an int.

Regards, Jens
--
_ _____ _____
| ||_ _||_ _| http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de
_ | | | | | |
| |_| | | | | | http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~toerring
\___/ens|_|homs|_|oerring
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andre Hinrichs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-06-2003
Marcus Jacobs wrote:

> [...]
> { printf(" Can't open %s\n", finc);
> [...]


In addition to the other hints already given you probably want to use
{ printf(" Can't open %s\n", finc_name);

Additionally most times it's wise to write this information to standard
error:
{ fprintf(stderr," Can't open %s\n", finc_name);




Andre

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jens.Toerring@physik.fu-berlin.de
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-06-2003
Marcus Jacobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Beside what Artie has been already told you (about removing the '\n'
from the input) there are still several things that won't work:

> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <stdlib.h>
> #include <ctype.h>
> #include <string.h>
> #ifndef NUMTYPES_H
> #define NUMTYPES_H


> #define MAX_WORD_LEN 20
> typedef char Word[MAX_WORD_LEN+1] ;


> #endif


Where's the #if (or similar) for this #endif?

> typedef struct
> {
> Word x,r,g,b;
> } colorinfo;



> FILE *finc, *fpov, *frad;
> char ch, frad_name[80], finc_name[80], fpov_name[80] , is_num;
> char *pov_word;
> char * finame;
> char chpov , colorend='f';
> colorinfo color;
> Word texture[2600];



> void reads_triangle(Word pov_num);
> void reads_smoothtriangle(Word pov_num);
> void reads_inc(void);
> void reads_color(void);
> void reads_texture(void);


> int main(void)
> {
> int m=1, n, j;
> char chtext, finish;
> char *inc_word;
> int j2;


> printf("Enter POV include file name ( *.inc ) : ");
> fgets(finc_name, 80, stdin);
> printf("%s", finc_name);
> printf("\n");


> finc=fopen(finc_name, "r");


> if (finc==NULL)
> { printf(" Can't open %s\n", finc);
> exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
> }


> chtext = getc(finc);


> while (chtext != EOF )


As long as you don't make 'chtext' an int you definitely will
have only a near-to-zero chance of it being equal to EOF. EOF is
typically an -1 *integer* (but don't rely on this, but you can
rely on *not* being able to store it in a char). So the above
comparison will nearly always fail and you never will stop looping.

> {
> finish ='f';
> if ( ( inc_word = malloc(25)) == NULL )
> { printf("Out of memory");
> exit(EXIT_FAILURE);;
> }
> while (isspace(chtext)) chtext = getc(finc);


When you reached the end of the file (and you can't detect it with
'chtext' being a char) you just created an infinite loop because
EOF is typically (int) -1. If you implicitely cast it to a char
'chtext' is going to be a (char) -1 (or perhaps something else,
e.g. a 255 if on your system chars are unsigned), at least it
usually isn't going to be a white-space character.

> j=0;
> while (chtext != EOF && isspace(chtext) == 0)
> { inc_word[j++] = chtext;
> chtext = getc(finc);
> }


> inc_word[j] = '\0';


Unless you are lucky you will end up with a sequence of more than
24 non-whitespace characters and write past the end of the memory
you allocated. In this case literally everything can happen. So
*do* the checks or use a different language where you can't make
these kinds of mistakes (you should think of using a lexer like
lex or flex for these kinds of tasks anyway).

> // printf("string are %s\n", inc_word);
> if (strcmp(inc_word, "texture") == 0 && finish == 'f')
> { while (isspace(chtext)) chtext = getc(finc);
> n=0;
> chtext = getc(finc);
> while ( chtext != '}' )
> {
> texture[m][n++] = chtext;


And here is the same problem: if you're unlucky enough there are
going to be more than MAX_WORD_LEN characters not being '}' and
you end up with writing over the end of texture[m] (and this looks
like reading in a povray file where e.g. additional white-space
characters are syntactically correct). It just takes a very small
bit of care to avoid this, so why don't you just do it?

> chtext = getc(finc);
> }
> texture[m][n] = '\0';
> /* printf(" texture = %s ", texture[m]);*/
> m++;


How can you be that sure that you won't get more than 2599 of
these texture strings? Checking is cheap and simple and avoids
lots of unnecessary grief that comes from invoking undefined
behavior.

> finish = 't';
> }
> free(inc_word);
> }
>
> fclose(finc);


> return 0;
> }

Regards, Jens
--
_ _____ _____
| ||_ _||_ _| (E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de
_ | | | | | |
| |_| | | | | | http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~toerring
\___/ens|_|homs|_|oerring
 
Reply With Quote
 
Barry Schwarz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2003
On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 21:57:48 GMT, Artie Gold <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Marcus Jacobs wrote:

snip
>>
>> printf("Enter POV include file name ( *.inc ) : ");
>> fgets(finc_name, 80, stdin);

>
>You haven't stripped the newline ('\n') character.
> *strstr(finc_name, "\n") = '\0';


You need to make sure that fgets inserted a \n before you strip it.
strstr can return NULL.

snip


<<Remove the del for email>>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Barry Schwarz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2003
On 6 Aug 2003 14:23:58 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Marcus Jacobs)
wrote:

>Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions. I have revised some of
>the source code (primarily getting rid of gets()). I have also
>included here the definition of type WORD for everyone to view. The
>other stuff I'll get to when I get this working properly. BTW, I am
>compiling this with gcc included with MinGW. Similar issue arose when
>I compiled this using MS Visual Studio. For starters, the problem that
>I am encountering now is that even though fname_inc does list itself
>as the filename given from fgets(), for some reason when I attempt to
>fopen() a file with that name, it comes up NULL. Why does this happen.
>In my case when I attempt to run the program I use a file named
>"all.inc". As part of my debugging, I manually initialize the value of
>fname_inc to "all.inc". When I do this, fopen() does work properly. I
>can not understand why this program does not like to use any of the
>data that is to be entered. As for the original problem with fclose(),
>while debugging the program it seems to me that this isn't what is
>causing the proble. The program works it way to the end and then at
>the end the following error message is displayed:
>
>"The instruction at "0x77fcb03d" reference memory at "0x00000000". The
>memory could not be "written"."
>
>I, for the life of me, can not figure out what is causing this. I do
>like to post my questions to this ng but I do try very hard to fix
>these problems myself before coming to everyone else. I am stuck. Here
>is the source as I have revised it. If it would be helpful, I can post
>a portion of the file "all.inc" to this ng such that someone may test
>out the code. It is only an ASCII text file.
>
>
>Thanks to everyone for your help.
>
>
>Marcus
>
>#include <stdio.h>
>#include <stdlib.h>
>#include <ctype.h>
>#include <string.h>
>#ifndef NUMTYPES_H
>#define NUMTYPES_H
>
>#define MAX_WORD_LEN 20
>typedef char Word[MAX_WORD_LEN+1] ;
>
>#endif
>
>typedef struct
>{
> Word x,r,g,b;
>} colorinfo;
>
>
>FILE *finc, *fpov, *frad;
>char ch, frad_name[80], finc_name[80], fpov_name[80] , is_num;
>char *pov_word;
>char * finame;
>char chpov , colorend='f';
>colorinfo color;
>Word texture[2600];
>
>
>void reads_triangle(Word pov_num);
>void reads_smoothtriangle(Word pov_num);
>void reads_inc(void);
>void reads_color(void);
>void reads_texture(void);
>
>
>
>int main(void)
> {
> int m=1, n, j;
> char chtext, finish;
> char *inc_word;
> int j2;
>
> printf("Enter POV include file name ( *.inc ) : ");
> fgets(finc_name, 80, stdin);


If the data input by the user is less than 79 characters, fgets will
include the \n (corresponding to the enter key) in the string. You
need something like

if ((inc_word = strchr(finc_name, '\n')) == NULL)
/* error logic - you do not have the complete file name */
else
*inc_word = '\0';

> printf("%s", finc_name);
> printf("\n");
>
> finc=fopen(finc_name, "r");
>
> if (finc==NULL)
> { printf(" Can't open %s\n", finc);


This should be finc_name. finc is NULL and attempting to print what
it points to invokes undefined behavior which may be the cause of your
problem.

> exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
> }
>
> chtext = getc(finc);


getc returns an int for a reason. You should respect that. It is
entirely possible that EOF will not fit in a char.

snip


<<Remove the del for email>>
 
Reply With Quote
 
bd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2003
On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 23:55:40 +0000, Jens.Toerrin wrote:

> Marcus Jacobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Beside what Artie has been already told you (about removing the '\n'
> from the input) there are still several things that won't work:
>
>> #include <stdio.h>
>> #include <stdlib.h>
>> #include <ctype.h>
>> #include <string.h>
>> #ifndef NUMTYPES_H
>> #define NUMTYPES_H

>
>> #define MAX_WORD_LEN 20
>> typedef char Word[MAX_WORD_LEN+1] ;

>
>> #endif

>
> Where's the #if (or similar) for this #endif?


Right below #include <string.h>.

--
Freenet distribution not available
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
-- H. L. Mencken

 
Reply With Quote
 
bd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2003
On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:37:02 +0200, Andre Hinrichs wrote:

> Marcus Jacobs wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> { printf(" Can't open %s\n", finc);
>> [...]

>
> In addition to the other hints already given you probably want to use
> { printf(" Can't open %s\n", finc_name);
>
> Additionally most times it's wise to write this information to standard
> error:
> { fprintf(stderr," Can't open %s\n", finc_name);


Better yet:
{
const static char *prefix = "Can't open ";
char *buf = malloc(strlen(prefix) + strlen(finc_name) + 1);
sprintf(buf, "%s%s", prefix, finc_name);
perror(buf); /* Give more details on why the error occured */
free(buf);

--
Freenet distribution not available
They also surf who only stand on waves.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Segmentation Fault in fclose()...why? VB C++ 3 01-15-2005 04:26 PM
fclose() causing access violation in threadFunc Anoop Nair C++ 1 08-05-2004 06:57 PM
fgets,fopen, fclose Trying_Harder C Programming 5 09-03-2003 05:15 PM
fclose(stdin); viza C Programming 0 07-19-2003 07:45 PM



Advertisments