Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Future reuse of code

Future reuse of code

James Cameron

Hi I'm developing a program and the client is worried about future
reuse of the code. Say 5, 10, 15 years down the road. This will be a
major factor in selecting the development language. Any comments on
past experience, research articles, comments on the matter would be
much appreciated. I suspect something like C would be the best based
on comments I received from the VB news group.

Thanks for the help in advance

James Cameron

Artie Gold

James Cameron wrote:
> Hi I'm developing a program and the client is worried about future
> reuse of the code. Say 5, 10, 15 years down the road. This will be a
> major factor in selecting the development language. Any comments on
> past experience, research articles, comments on the matter would be
> much appreciated. I suspect something like C would be the best based
> on comments I received from the VB news group.
>
> Thanks for the help in advance
>
> James Cameron

It would seem that -- at the very least -- a language that has a
recognized international standard and a broad and deep user base would
have the most likelihood of continuing to be usable in the long term.

Naturally, any language controlled by a single vendor, particularly if
it is one where there might be a corporate advantage to totally change
things (and make you buy the new model) would not meet this criterion.

Draw your own conclusions -- and YMMV.

Cheers,
--ag

--
Artie Gold -- Austin, Texas

E. Robert Tisdale

James Cameron wrote:

> Hi I'm developing a program and the client is worried about future
> reuse of the code. Say 5, 10, 15 years down the road. This will be a
> major factor in selecting the development language. Any comments on
> past experience, research articles, comments on the matter would be
> much appreciated. I suspect something like C would be the best based
> on comments I received from the VB news group.
>
> Thanks for the help in advance
>
> James Cameron

This question cross posted to five newsgroups appears to pit
C against C++ against Java against Pascal against Visual Basic.
If your intent was to start a flame war, this is the way to do it.

Harald Hein

"James Cameron" wrote:

> I'm developing a program and the client is worried about future
> reuse of the code. Say 5, 10, 15 years down the road.

Tell your customer a lie. No one can predict 5 years, let alone 15 into
the future in this business. If your client asks, he doesn't have much
clue and will be happy with any answer.

A Bag Of Memes

"James Cameron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi I'm developing a program and the client is worried about future
> reuse of the code. Say 5, 10, 15 years down the road. This will be a
> major factor in selecting the development language. Any comments on
> past experience, research articles, comments on the matter would be
> much appreciated. I suspect something like C would be the best based
> on comments I received from the VB news group.
>
> Thanks for the help in advance

Why would language choice affect code reuse? You can reuse code written in
any language as long as you care to.

Mike Wahler

James Cameron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi I'm developing a program and the client is worried about future
> reuse of the code. Say 5, 10, 15 years down the road. This will be a
> major factor in selecting the development language. Any comments on
> past experience, research articles, comments on the matter would be
> much appreciated. I suspect something like C would be the best based
> on comments I received from the VB news group.

The language doesn't matter. Just keep the code
in the freezer so it won't spoil.

-Mike

Malcolm

"James Cameron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Hi I'm developing a program and the client is worried about future
> reuse of the code. Say 5, 10, 15 years down the road. This will be a
> major factor in selecting the development language.

Your best bet is conservative C89.

Why not C++? Because the standard template library is only a few years old.
Things might have changed out of recognition in 15 years time. You will
stillbe able to compile the code, probably, but it will be difficult to
maintain.

C99 may never be implemented.

Java COBOL and Visual Basic I know little about. VB is unstable, COBOL is
virtually obsolete. Java might be an OK choice but is rather tied to the
net. A C file, OTOH, will almost certainly be linkable in ten years time.

John D.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (James Cameron) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hi I'm developing a program and the client is worried about future
> reuse of the code. Say 5, 10, 15 years down the road. This will be a
> major factor in selecting the development language. Any comments on
> past experience, research articles, comments on the matter would be
> much appreciated. I suspect something like C would be the best based
> on comments I received from the VB news group.

The best language to ensure future reuse of the code is english.
Whatever programming language you chose always remember to document
your code.

Donald Tees

"Peter E.C. Dashwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "James Cameron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi I'm developing a program and the client is worried about future
> > reuse of the code. Say 5, 10, 15 years down the road. This will be a
> > major factor in selecting the development language. Any comments on
> > past experience, research articles, comments on the matter would be
> > much appreciated. I suspect something like C would be the best based
> > on comments I received from the VB news group.
> >

> The source language is irrelevant in terms of code re-use. (It is OBJECT
> code that will be re-used...)
>
> You should select a source language SUITABLE FOR THE JOB YOU WANT TO DO!!!
>
> Then make sure that an OO or modular approach is adopted, wrap your
> functions as components, and you can reuse them FOR EVER not just 15

years.

> Pete.

Aren't you talking about marriage or something? About the *only* code I
know that is still running after 15 years use is in Cobol. I could say the
same for 30 years.

Even in the last five years, the components I have used have evolved into
different packaging, required updates for each OS, etc. etc.

Donald

Paul Barnett

"Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgktdu$n07$(E-Mail Removed)...

> ... COBOL is
> virtually obsolete...

Hey! Cut that out!