Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: numerical recipes book

Re: numerical recipes book

Rouben Rostamian

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Koen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am considering purchasing 'Numerical recipes in C', but then I read
>about the copyright notice that forbids distribution of software that
>uses the examples from the book. My questions are, is this a big
>issue? The book seems to be popular, and I cannot imagine that people
>only read the book, but do not apply what's in it. Second question, if
>this is a serious issue, are there any alternatives?

Numerical Recipes is a terrific book for its selection of content,
description of algorithms and expository writing. Buying and
reading it are worthwhile investments of money and time. As it says
in the introductions, the provided sample programs are meant only
as illustrations and food for thought. They are not intended for
verbatim use for production code.

I suggest that you take the programs as illustrations of the text
material. Study them for concepts, then write your own programs,
starting from scratch.

--
Rouben Rostamian <(E-Mail Removed)>