Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > [Q] NAS and L3 performance

[Q] NAS and L3 performance

hifur2002

Hello, experts,

We are planning to build remote access environment by
using Cisco AS5350 and Cat3750(L3), and got a concern if
the performance is enough or not because our estimation of
route table update on it would be very frequently, say
more than 300 times/min. This remote access environment
will be used by our end-users through ISDN cloud(roundrobin)
and route information will be updated by distance vector
type route protocol(not decided yet. recommend me if there is)

Is this not a problem for both AS5350 and Cat3750 ?

Thank you,

Ivan Ostres

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, hifur2002
@hotmail.com says...
> Hello, experts,
>
> We are planning to build remote access environment by
> using Cisco AS5350 and Cat3750(L3), and got a concern if
> the performance is enough or not because our estimation of
> route table update on it would be very frequently, say
> more than 300 times/min. This remote access environment
> will be used by our end-users through ISDN cloud(roundrobin)
> and route information will be updated by distance vector
> type route protocol(not decided yet. recommend me if there is)

Does this means that users have some network behind them that will be a
part of *your* routing table, or just classic dial-in users (one user,
one address)?

Why don't you want to use Link-state routing protocol?

--
Ivan

hifur2002

Thanks for your reply. Our users are just classic dial-in users
using fixed IP address assigned(out of our control). Their dial-in
through ISDN will be handled by one of AS5350 box(there are four
AS5350 boxes) to access server's network via L3s(Cat3750x2).
Link-state routing protocol may be okay if our concern regarding
performance issue is cleared.

-hifur

Ivan Ostres <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<btm6pj$8muvr$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, hifur2002
> @hotmail.com says...
> > Hello, experts,
> >
> > We are planning to build remote access environment by
> > using Cisco AS5350 and Cat3750(L3), and got a concern if
> > the performance is enough or not because our estimation of
> > route table update on it would be very frequently, say
> > more than 300 times/min. This remote access environment
> > will be used by our end-users through ISDN cloud(roundrobin)
> > and route information will be updated by distance vector
> > type route protocol(not decided yet. recommend me if there is)
> >

> Does this means that users have some network behind them that will be a
> part of *your* routing table, or just classic dial-in users (one user,
> one address)?
>
> Why don't you want to use Link-state routing protocol?

Aaron Leonard

Updating your routing table 300 times per second sounds
like a bad idea to me. Why do you need to update
your routing table just because end users dial in?
Normally you would have them all be in the same subnet.

Aaron

---

~ Hello, experts,
~
~ We are planning to build remote access environment by
~ using Cisco AS5350 and Cat3750(L3), and got a concern if
~ the performance is enough or not because our estimation of
~ route table update on it would be very frequently, say
~ more than 300 times/min. This remote access environment
~ will be used by our end-users through ISDN cloud(roundrobin)
~ and route information will be updated by distance vector
~ type route protocol(not decided yet. recommend me if there is)
~
~ Is this not a problem for both AS5350 and Cat3750 ?
~
~ Thank you,

hifur2002

Could you please let me know more detail about the solution
if it is not a NAT. I am not sure how Routers inside recognize
the right route to return packet for incoming request through
some of access routers(for dial-in). Any pointers would be much
appreciated.

Thank you,