Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: [cpp] Is this valid?

Re: [cpp] Is this valid?

copx

"bd" <(E-Mail Removed)-ip.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news(E-Mail Removed)-ip.org...
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:17:36 +0200, copx wrote:
>
> > [cpp] is this valid?

> What is this 'cpp'?

The C PreProcessor.
It deals with stuff like #defines

copx

Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 04:02:45 +0200, in comp.lang.c , "copx"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"bd" <(E-Mail Removed)-ip.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news(E-Mail Removed)-ip.org...
>> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:17:36 +0200, copx wrote:
>>
>> > [cpp] is this valid?

>> What is this 'cpp'?

>The C PreProcessor.
>It deals with stuff like #defines

FWIW "cpp" is not strictly part of C, its a tool in (probably) a unix
implementation. Other implementations do the same thing differently.
Although your question was topical I believe, its best not to think
about it in terms of specific implementations in CLC.

--
Mark McIntyre

copx

"Mark McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 04:02:45 +0200, in comp.lang.c , "copx"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> What is this 'cpp'?

> >The C PreProcessor.
> >It deals with stuff like #defines

> FWIW "cpp" is not strictly part of C, its a tool in (probably) a unix
> implementation. Other implementations do the same thing differently.
> Although your question was topical I believe, its best not to think
> about it in terms of specific implementations in CLC.

In my (German) copy of K&R2 part 4.11 has
the heading "Der C-Preprozessor" (The C-Preprocessor).
So I guess cpp IS a part of the C standard.
I don't have the ANSI/ISO papers, though.
But K&R has more authority, anyway

copx

Default User

Mark McIntyre wrote:

> >So I guess cpp IS a part of the C standard.

> ...but cpp is not it, cpp is a tool available on unix platforms.

UNIX is off-topic here. Why can't the OP use a perfectly good acronym
for a part of the standard language without you assuming he meant some
other off-topic thing?

I understood perfectly, because I assume first and foremost that people
are discussing standard stuff here.

Brian Rodenborn

Ben Pfaff

Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> FWIW "cpp" is not strictly part of C, its a tool in (probably) a unix
> implementation. Other implementations do the same thing differently.
> Although your question was topical I believe, its best not to think
> about it in terms of specific implementations in CLC.

It depends on whether you think of cpp as the name of a program
or an abbreviation for "C preprocessor". The former is
off-topic, but the latter is perfectly on-topic.
--
"We put [the best] Assembler programmers in a little glass case in the hallway
near the Exit sign. The sign on the case says, `In case of optimization

Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:07:33 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Default User
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mark McIntyre wrote:
>
>> >So I guess cpp IS a part of the C standard.

>> ...but cpp is not it, cpp is a tool available on unix platforms.

>UNIX is off-topic here. Why can't the OP use a perfectly good acronym
>for a part of the standard language without you assuming he meant some
>other off-topic thing?

Because of the way they referred to it.

>I understood perfectly, because I assume first and foremost that people
>are discussing standard stuff here.

Me too. Please reread my original posting before shooting from teh
hip.

"FWIW "cpp" is not strictly part of C, its a tool in (probably) a unix
implementation. Other implementations do the same thing differently.
Although your question was topical I believe, its best not to think
about it in terms of specific implementations in CLC. !

--
Mark McIntyre

Ben Pfaff

Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On 11 Jul 2003 09:33:47 -0700, in comp.lang.c , Ben Pfaff
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >
> >> FWIW "cpp" is not strictly part of C, its a tool in (probably) a unix
> >> implementation. Other implementations do the same thing differently.
> >> Although your question was topical I believe, its best not to think
> >> about it in terms of specific implementations in CLC.

> >It depends on whether you think of cpp as the name of a program
> >or an abbreviation for "C preprocessor". The former is
> >off-topic, but the latter is perfectly on-topic.

> I agree, and said so in my original posting, which I requote for the
> 2nd time:
>
> "FWIW "cpp" is not strictly part of C, its a tool in (probably) a unix
> implementation. Other implementations do the same thing differently.
> Although your question was topical I believe, its best not to think
> about it in terms of specific implementations in CLC. "

So if you also think of cpp as the standard C preprocessor, why
did you say that cpp is not part of C?
--
int main(void){char p[]="ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuv wxyz.\
);}return 0;}

copx

"Ben Pfaff" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > FWIW "cpp" is not strictly part of C, its a tool in (probably) a unix
> > implementation. Other implementations do the same thing differently.
> > Although your question was topical I believe, its best not to think
> > about it in terms of specific implementations in CLC.

> It depends on whether you think of cpp as the name of a program
> or an abbreviation for "C preprocessor".

I used it as an abbreviation for "C preprocessor"..
So Marks complains are invalid.

copx

Micah Cowan

"copx" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "Mark McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 04:02:45 +0200, in comp.lang.c , "copx"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > >The C PreProcessor.
> > >It deals with stuff like #defines

> > FWIW "cpp" is not strictly part of C, its a tool in (probably) a unix
> > implementation. Other implementations do the same thing differently.
> > Although your question was topical I believe, its best not to think
> > about it in terms of specific implementations in CLC.

> In my (German) copy of K&R2 part 4.11 has
> the heading "Der C-Preprozessor" (The C-Preprocessor).
> So I guess cpp IS a part of the C standard.
> I don't have the ANSI/ISO papers, though.
> But K&R has more authority, anyway

The C Preprocessor is part of the C Standard: but a C preprocessor is
just a part of the entire implementation as far as the standard is
concerned: it can be a part of the compiler. cpp is certainly not part
of the C standard, it is (as Mark already said) a part of common UNIX
C implementations.

-Micah

Micah Cowan

Ben Pfaff <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > FWIW "cpp" is not strictly part of C, its a tool in (probably) a unix
> > implementation. Other implementations do the same thing differently.
> > Although your question was topical I believe, its best not to think
> > about it in terms of specific implementations in CLC.

> It depends on whether you think of cpp as the name of a program
> or an abbreviation for "C preprocessor". The former is
> off-topic, but the latter is perfectly on-topic.

Maybe it's just me, but if I had thought it was readable as "the C
preprocessor", it would be written "the cpp" rather than "cpp".

-Micah