Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > WIC-4ESW Cisco 4-Port Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface Card

WIC-4ESW Cisco 4-Port Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface Card

Boris

hi
Does someone know if it is possible to use the WIC (see below) with a cisco
"1721" router:
WIC-4ESW Cisco 4-Port Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface Card
see:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0801c749d.html

In their doc they show the 1760 modell, so I was wondering if you could use
it on 1721.
Could someone tell me that plz?
If it is possible what are the ios requirements?

Many many thx

JC

no, per the following.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...8.html#1029307

JC

--

"Boris" <boris71schneider@web DOT de> wrote in message
news:3ffde3b4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi
> Does someone know if it is possible to use the WIC (see below) with a

cisco
> "1721" router:
> WIC-4ESW Cisco 4-Port Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface Card
> see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0801c749d.html

> In their doc they show the 1760 modell, so I was wondering if you could

use
> it on 1721.
> Could someone tell me that plz?
> If it is possible what are the ios requirements?
>
> Many many thx

Jasko

Użytkownik "JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> napisał w wiadomości
news:3ffe16fb$0$12234$(E-Mail Removed)...
> no, per the following.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...8.html#1029307

> JC
>
> --
>
> "Boris" <boris71schneider@web DOT de> wrote in message
> news:3ffde3b4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > hi
> > Does someone know if it is possible to use the WIC (see below) with a

> cisco
> > "1721" router:
> > WIC-4ESW Cisco 4-Port Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface Card
> > see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0801c749d.html

> > In their doc they show the 1760 modell, so I was wondering if you could

> use
> > it on 1721.
> > Could someone tell me that plz?
> > If it is possible what are the ios requirements?
> >
> > Many many thx

????????????

Maybe I didn't get it, but under that link you can read that:

The following platforms are supported:

a.. Cisco 1721 router
b.. Cisco 1751 router
c.. Cisco 1760 router
If you are intrested in cheap solution you can look at cisco 1711 and 1712,
maybe this will suit you.

Best Regards
Jasko

scott enwright

Yes.

The Cisco WIC-4ESW is supported on Cisco 1721, Cisco 1751, Cisco 1751-V, and
Cisco 1760 routers.

Regards,

Scott.
\|/
(o o)
---------------------oOOO--(_)--OOOo----------------------
Out the 100Base-T, off the firewall, through the router, down
the T1, over the leased line, off the bridge, nothing but Net.
(Use ROT13 to see my email address)
.oooO Oooo.
----------------------( )---( )-----------------------
\ ( ) /
\_) (_/

"Boris" <boris71schneider@web DOT de> wrote in message
news:3ffde3b4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi
> Does someone know if it is possible to use the WIC (see below) with a

cisco
> "1721" router:
> WIC-4ESW Cisco 4-Port Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface Card
> see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0801c749d.html

> In their doc they show the 1760 modell, so I was wondering if you could

use
> it on 1721.
> Could someone tell me that plz?
> If it is possible what are the ios requirements?
>
> Many many thx

JC

oops, your right. Sorry about that.

However, performance will be dismal at best on the 1721. Smartbits testing
has show me that 1721 won't pass any more than 2 T1's worth of bandwidth so
expecting any type of performance on this switch card in the router is
wishful thinking.

JC
--

"Jasko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:btlpha$5cp$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Użytkownik "JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> napisał w wiadomości
> news:3ffe16fb$0$12234$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > no, per the following.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...8.html#1029307

> > JC
> >
> > --
> >
> > "Boris" <boris71schneider@web DOT de> wrote in message
> > news:3ffde3b4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > hi
> > > Does someone know if it is possible to use the WIC (see below) with a

> > cisco
> > > "1721" router:
> > > WIC-4ESW Cisco 4-Port Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface Card
> > > see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0801c749d.html

> > > In their doc they show the 1760 modell, so I was wondering if you

could
> > use
> > > it on 1721.
> > > Could someone tell me that plz?
> > > If it is possible what are the ios requirements?
> > >
> > > Many many thx
> > >

> ????????????
>
> Maybe I didn't get it, but under that link you can read that:
>
> The following platforms are supported:
>
> a.. Cisco 1721 router
> b.. Cisco 1751 router
> c.. Cisco 1760 router
> If you are intrested in cheap solution you can look at cisco 1711 and

1712,
> maybe this will suit you.
>
> Best Regards
> Jasko

scott enwright

JC,

The Layer 2 switch performance of the WIC-4ESW isn't limited to 2 x T1
performance, it can handle full FastEthernet wire rates between WIC-4ESW
ports. But the Layer 3 performance is limited to 10Mbps because the 1721
CPU is attached at 10Mbps - so in theory 2 100Mbps on different VLAN ports
on thw WIC-4ESW could communiate at roughly 10Mb using the 1721 to route
between VLANs.

Information sourced from CCO @
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...b3.html#265374

Regards,

Scott.
\|/
(o o)
---------------------oOOO--(_)--OOOo----------------------
Out the 100Base-T, off the firewall, through the router, down
the T1, over the leased line, off the bridge, nothing but Net.
(Use ROT13 to see my email address)
.oooO Oooo.
----------------------( )---( )-----------------------
\ ( ) /
\_) (_/

"JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fff74e0$0$21948$(E-Mail Removed)...
> oops, your right. Sorry about that.
>
> However, performance will be dismal at best on the 1721. Smartbits

testing
> has show me that 1721 won't pass any more than 2 T1's worth of bandwidth

so
> expecting any type of performance on this switch card in the router is
> wishful thinking.
>
> JC
> --
>
> "Jasko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:btlpha$5cp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Użytkownik "JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> napisał w wiadomości
> > news:3ffe16fb$0$12234$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > no, per the following.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...8.html#1029307

> > > JC
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > "Boris" <boris71schneider@web DOT de> wrote in message
> > > news:3ffde3b4$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > cisco

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0801c749d.html

> could
> > > use

> > ????????????
> >
> > Maybe I didn't get it, but under that link you can read that:
> >
> > The following platforms are supported:
> >
> > a.. Cisco 1721 router
> > b.. Cisco 1751 router
> > c.. Cisco 1760 router
> > If you are intrested in cheap solution you can look at cisco 1711 and

> 1712,
> > maybe this will suit you.
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Jasko

mgo

"Boris" <boris71schneider@web DOT de> wrote in message news:<3ffde3b4$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> hi
> Does someone know if it is possible to use the WIC (see below) with a cisco
> "1721" router:
> WIC-4ESW Cisco 4-Port Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface Card
> see:
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0801c749d.html
>
> In their doc they show the 1760 modell, so I was wondering if you could use
> it on 1721.
> Could someone tell me that plz?
> If it is possible what are the ios requirements?
>
> Many many thx

Yes. I have one. The 1721 will only utilize 1 4ESW.

JC

I guess if you want to use a 1721 with a $300 WIC as an ethernet switch
that's OK but I can do the same thing by connecting a $20 ethernet switch to
the ethernet port of the router. So the assumption would be to use the 1721
at layer 3 to get the most bang for your buck. Also the documentation
states clearly that Routed Inter-vlan traffic is limited to 10 Full duplex
however there is no mention of line rate being achieved with that option. I
still stand by my lab figures that show me the router will never achieve
anything above 3Mb throughput using a smartbits and IMIX.

I did get about 5.75Mb throughput with 1500byte packets on the 10Mb WIC card
but then how many networks do you know of that only have 1500 bytes packets
only.

JC

--

"scott enwright" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:C91Mb.5154$(E-Mail Removed)...
> JC,
>
> The Layer 2 switch performance of the WIC-4ESW isn't limited to 2 x T1
> performance, it can handle full FastEthernet wire rates between WIC-4ESW
> ports. But the Layer 3 performance is limited to 10Mbps because the 1721
> CPU is attached at 10Mbps - so in theory 2 100Mbps on different VLAN ports
> on thw WIC-4ESW could communiate at roughly 10Mb using the 1721 to route
> between VLANs.
>
> Information sourced from CCO @

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...b3.html#265374

> Regards,
>
> Scott.
> \|/
> (o o)
> ---------------------oOOO--(_)--OOOo----------------------
> Out the 100Base-T, off the firewall, through the router, down
> the T1, over the leased line, off the bridge, nothing but Net.
> (Use ROT13 to see my email address)
> .oooO Oooo.
> ----------------------( )---( )-----------------------
> \ ( ) /
> \_) (_/
>

> "JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3fff74e0$0$21948$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > oops, your right. Sorry about that.
> >
> > However, performance will be dismal at best on the 1721. Smartbits

> testing
> > has show me that 1721 won't pass any more than 2 T1's worth of bandwidth

> so
> > expecting any type of performance on this switch card in the router is
> > wishful thinking.
> >
> > JC
> > --
> >
> > "Jasko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:btlpha$5cp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > Użytkownik "JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> napisał w wiadomości
> > > news:3ffe16fb$0$12234$(E-Mail Removed)...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...8.html#1029307

with

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0801c749d.html

> > could

> > > ????????????
> > >
> > > Maybe I didn't get it, but under that link you can read that:
> > >
> > > The following platforms are supported:
> > >
> > > a.. Cisco 1721 router
> > > b.. Cisco 1751 router
> > > c.. Cisco 1760 router
> > > If you are intrested in cheap solution you can look at cisco 1711 and

> > 1712,
> > > maybe this will suit you.
> > >
> > > Best Regards
> > > Jasko

scott enwright

True - It might be useful for POS where you get remote troubleshooting and
single vendor maintenance contracts.

Regards,

Scott.
\|/
(o o)
---------------------oOOO--(_)--OOOo----------------------
Out the 100Base-T, off the firewall, through the router, down
the T1, over the leased line, off the bridge, nothing but Net.
(Use ROT13 to see my email address)
.oooO Oooo.
----------------------( )---( )-----------------------
\ ( ) /
\_) (_/

"JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4000e129$0$12212$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> > the T1, over the leased line, off the bridge, nothing but Net.
> > (Use ROT13 to see my email address)
> > .oooO Oooo.
> > ----------------------( )---( )-----------------------
> > \ ( ) /
> > \_) (_/
> >

> > "JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:3fff74e0$0$21948$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > oops, your right. Sorry about that.
> > >
> > > However, performance will be dismal at best on the 1721. Smartbits

> > testing
> > > has show me that 1721 won't pass any more than 2 T1's worth of

bandwidth
> > so
> > > expecting any type of performance on this switch card in the router is
> > > wishful thinking.
> > >
> > > JC
> > > --

Cisco 3745 fast ethernet interface problem piotrekgotrek Cisco 0 06-26-2007 11:34 AM
How to convert a fast ethernet interface in a Cisco Router to behave like a serial interface Moloy Cisco 1 03-18-2006 02:16 PM
Ethernet WAN and not WAN. AM Cisco 1 05-23-2005 11:45 PM
Cisco SOHO 91 Router showing Ethernet 0 instead of Fast Ethernet 0 andyr Cisco 4 04-14-2005 01:12 PM