Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > BIOS access

BIOS access

J. Rodrigo A. V.

There was this guy in alt.es.hackers asking if there is a way to crack bios
password bys software. I of course know you can always resort to the
"almigthy" jumper and reset the CMOS. So the question in this case is: Do
you know of a good place to read about a way to access the BIOS using C/C++
or a way to access the CMOS.
If i remember a part of the BIOS is copied in the 640K-1MB area of the RAM,
but what about the CMOS data ?

Tom St Denis

J. Rodrigo A. V. wrote:
> There was this guy in alt.es.hackers asking if there is a way to crack bios
> password bys software. I of course know you can always resort to the
> "almigthy" jumper and reset the CMOS. So the question in this case is: Do
> you know of a good place to read about a way to access the BIOS using C/C++
> or a way to access the CMOS.
> If i remember a part of the BIOS is copied in the 640K-1MB area of the RAM,
> but what about the CMOS data ?

You access the CMOS data via some port I/O [don't recall specifics].

You could just wipe the entier bios, or you could use a jumper. Or you
could not hack computers you're not supposed to. [What a concept!]

Tom