Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: Output without stdio.h or iostream

Re: Output without stdio.h or iostream

Dan Pop

In <(E-Mail Removed) > http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Gabriel Flemming) writes:

>i heard it wouldn't be possible to build a function that sends output
>(maybe a text string) to the console without using the C/C++
>standard-functions from the standard library (puts,printf or
>whatever)...
>
>is this correct?

Yes, as far as portable programming is concerned.

>or is there any possibility of writing such a function WITHOUT the
>usage of any function from the standard library?

If you *completely* ignore the standard library, how do you expect to
generate any output? OTOH, a non-portable solution that doesn't use
anything from <stdio.h> or its C++ counterpart is trivial to write:

#include <stdlib.h>
system("echo hello, world");

Works on both Unix and DOS, it will probably fail on VMS.

>to me, it doesn't make sense, that it could be impossible to do this,
>because every of the standard functions has to be implemented in the
>compiler (AND THEREFORE THERE HAS TO EXIST THE NEEDED CODE, HASN'T
>IT???).

That code normally uses non-standard library functions that provide the
interface with the operating system primitives. If you dig deep enough,
at some point you'll discover a bit of assembly (e.g. the implementation
of syscall() on most Unix systems).

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

Semi OT: Mixing iostream and iostream.h red floyd C++ 3 03-08-2005 05:57 PM
iostream + iostream.h S. Nurbe C++ 7 01-15-2005 07:49 AM
is MS newer <iostream> is slower than older <iostream.h>? ai@work C++ 9 12-16-2004 08:21 PM
#include <iostream.h> or <iostream> John Tiger C++ 10 08-06-2003 01:30 PM
Re: Output without stdio.h or iostream Joona I Palaste C Programming 0 07-03-2003 02:56 PM

Advertisments