Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: Why is rand special?

Re: Why is rand special?

Roc

> >> Surely you can glark it from context?
> >
> > Ah, so is "glark" the olde British spelling of "grok"?

> No. From the Jargon File:
>
> glark: /glark/, vt.
> To figure something out from context. "The System III manuals are pretty
> poor, but you can generally glark the meaning from context."

Interestingly,
> the word was originally 'glork'; the context was "This gubblick contains
> many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs, but the overall pluggandisp can be
> glorked [sic] from context" (David Moser, quoted by Douglas Hofstadter in
> his Metamagical Themas column in the January 1981 Scientific American). It
> is conjectured that hacker usage mutated the verb to 'glark' because glork
> was already an established jargon term (some hackers do report using the
> original term). Compare grok, zen.
>
> I'd have quoted grok to you as well for comparison, but it looks like
> catb.org just died (presumably temporarily).

I have to keep dictionary.com open at all times while reading this
newsgroup. Looks like others do too...

rand() v. rand(0.1) ? 7stud -- Ruby 6 09-16-2007 03:18 PM
rand function in Modelsim 5.7c Niko D. Barli VHDL 9 09-06-2004 04:16 AM
Re: Why is rand special? Roc C Programming 0 07-03-2003 01:49 PM

Advertisments