Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: Why this Code Works ??

Re: Why this Code Works ??

Chris Mears

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (James) writes:

> int a ;
> int a ;
>
> main ( ) {
> a = 94 ;
> printf ("%d\n", a) ;
> }
>
> Why does this code compile without any warning.
> If u initialise a. It is an error ?. Why ?.

It works because there is no reason for it not to work. If you include
an initialiser with one of the declarations then that declaration
becomes a definition (rather than just a tentative definition). If you
try to initialise the object with both declarations you end up with two
definitions, which is illegal.

--
Chris Mears