Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: Override malloc,calloc,realloc and free?

Re: Override malloc,calloc,realloc and free?

Dan Pop

In <(E-Mail Removed)> "Douglas A. Gwyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>I still don't understand what the problem is supposed to be.
>A program might not *have* any output if it is rejected by the
>implementation for containing undefined behavior etc.
>There are essentially three kinds of program behavior:
>(1) specified.
>(2) unspecified but "stable".
>(3) undefined.
>A s.c. program contains no instances of (3).
>A s.c. program can contain instances of (2), but its output
>shall not depend on which of the allowed choices the
>implementation has made for each such instance

What *exactly* is defining the program's behaviour, apart from its
output (in the context of the C standard)?

If it's only its output, then it makes no sense to say that a strictly
conforming program can contain unspecified behaviour if its output does
not depend on it.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

Dan Pop

In <(E-Mail Removed)> "Douglas A. Gwyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Dan Pop wrote:
>> In <(E-Mail Removed)> "Douglas A. Gwyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> >There are essentially three kinds of program behavior:
>> >(1) specified.
>> >(2) unspecified but "stable".
>> >(3) undefined.
>> >A s.c. program contains no instances of (3).
>> >A s.c. program can contain instances of (2), but its output
>> >shall not depend on which of the allowed choices the
>> >implementation has made for each such instance

>> What *exactly* is defining the program's behaviour, apart from its
>> output (in the context of the C standard)?
>> If it's only its output, then it makes no sense to say that a strictly
>> conforming program can contain unspecified behaviour if its output does
>> not depend on it.

>What I said makes perfect sense.

To you, maybe.

>It is your attempt to reduce
>the semantic content to a mere macro expansion of definitions
>that prevents understanding.

I fail to see how this is supposed to clarify the statements you've made
in your previous post. Sheer insult doesn't make a particularly
convincing argument. But if this is the best you can produce...

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

Jun Woong

"Dan Pop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bdh74o$m55$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In <(E-Mail Removed)> "Douglas A. Gwyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> >I still don't understand what the problem is supposed to be.
> >A program might not *have* any output if it is rejected by the
> >implementation for containing undefined behavior etc.
> >There are essentially three kinds of program behavior:
> >(1) specified.
> >(2) unspecified but "stable".
> >(3) undefined.
> >A s.c. program contains no instances of (3).
> >A s.c. program can contain instances of (2), but its output
> >shall not depend on which of the allowed choices the
> >implementation has made for each such instance

> What *exactly* is defining the program's behaviour, apart from its
> output (in the context of the C standard)?
>
> If it's only its output, then it makes no sense to say that a strictly
> conforming program can contain unspecified behaviour if its output does
> not depend on it.

It seems that some misunderstanding is in existence here even if both
of you are saying the same and correct thing.

--
Jun, Woong ((E-Mail Removed))
Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Seoul

Override 'and' and 'or' Dekker Python 13 10-08-2007 02:55 PM
A question (and answer) for the Ruby FAQ: override and overload Stephan Kämper Ruby 2 01-24-2005 01:05 PM
Preprocessor gcc and override bigbinc C++ 2 01-02-2004 08:42 PM
Java MIDP on Palm - override String and Image Item layouts Kurt Milligan Java 1 09-15-2003 09:32 PM
Re: Override malloc,calloc,realloc and free? Jun Woong C Programming 0 06-26-2003 03:49 PM

Advertisments