Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > what does the standard say about parameter passing?

what does the standard say about parameter passing?

Keith Thompson

Tobias Oed <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> John Tsiombikas (Nuclear / the Lab) wrote:

[...]
> > P.S. I caught something about a free draft of the standard on the
> > internet in some other message but I missed it, is that so? and where
> > can I find it?

> google for n869
> http://anubis.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n869/
> enjoy the read :^)
> Tobias

And keep in mind that n869 is a *draft*; it's not actually the
standard. I understand that there were significant changes between
n869 and the final standard.

Dan Pop

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Keith Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Tobias Oed <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> John Tsiombikas (Nuclear / the Lab) wrote:

>[...]
>> > P.S. I caught something about a free draft of the standard on the
>> > internet in some other message but I missed it, is that so? and where
>> > can I find it?

>> google for n869
>> http://anubis.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n869/
>> enjoy the read :^)
>> Tobias

>And keep in mind that n869 is a *draft*; it's not actually the
>standard. I understand that there were significant changes between
>n869 and the final standard.

It depends on your definition of "significant". For the purposes of
c.l.c (as well as for someone who just wants to learn C99), the changes
are hardly significant. A few examples:

o More details in the representation of signed integer types.

o The prohibition of defining __cplusplus.

o The addition of _Exit() to the standard library specification.

o Signed integer conversions can raise a signal if the value cannot be
represented in the target type.

o More details in the specification of the exact-width types defined
by <stdint.h>

I really see no point in flaming the people who use N869 in this newsgroup
instead of the real thing, especially considering that C99 doesn't come
in plain text format, so it's a lot less convenient for quick searches
and for cut & paste (although these actions can be performed on the PDF
version).

Dan
--
Dan Pop