Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: pointers...

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: pointers...

 
 
Mark McIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2003
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 03:50:30 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Kevin Easton
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I also see no reason to buy a C99 compiler.


Luddite.
In a couple of years, you'll have no choice. Better learn while its
still optional !

--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
CLC readme: <http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc.html>


----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joe Wright
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2003

Kevin Easton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:newscache$eqf2hh$iw5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Joe Wright <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]
> > Sorry, it's too early to agree. Passing parameters by 'reference' is

a
> > language thing and is supported by C++ and other languages. Not in

C!
>
> Yes, C does not have pass-by-reference function call semantics.
>
> > One might think that a pointer value that 'points' to an object is a
> > 'reference' to the object. Maybe in English but not in C or other
> > programming languages.

>
> Yes, in C. I refer you to 6.2.5 in C99, paragraph 19:
>
> 6.2.5
> 19 . A pointer type may be derived from a function type, an object

type,
> or an incomplete type, called the referenced type. A pointer type
> describes an object whose value provides a reference to an entity of

the
> referenced type.
>

And I contend that, in context here, reference is an English word and
has nothing whatever to do with 'by value' or 'by reference' parameter
passing. And you know that.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard Bos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2003
Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 02:59:18 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Kevin Easton
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Yep. I see no reason to buy a copy of the final version merely for
> >answering questions on comp.lang.c.

>
> other than to avoid confusion by either
> a) making an incorrect statement (there were a couple of small changes
> post final draft); and
> b) referencing the correct sections...
>
> Come on, its only eighteen bucks.


....plus the cost of a credit card. And I don't just mean the initial
monetary cost, either.

Richard
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kevin Easton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2003
Joe Wright <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Kevin Easton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:newscache$eqf2hh$iw5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Joe Wright <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> [...]
>> > Sorry, it's too early to agree. Passing parameters by 'reference' is

> a
>> > language thing and is supported by C++ and other languages. Not in

> C!
>>
>> Yes, C does not have pass-by-reference function call semantics.
>>
>> > One might think that a pointer value that 'points' to an object is a
>> > 'reference' to the object. Maybe in English but not in C or other
>> > programming languages.

>>
>> Yes, in C. I refer you to 6.2.5 in C99, paragraph 19:
>>
>> 6.2.5
>> 19 . A pointer type may be derived from a function type, an object

> type,
>> or an incomplete type, called the referenced type. A pointer type
>> describes an object whose value provides a reference to an entity of

> the
>> referenced type.
>>

> And I contend that, in context here, reference is an English word and
> has nothing whatever to do with 'by value' or 'by reference' parameter
> passing. And you know that.


Yes, I do (know it has nothing to do with pass *by* reference), which is
why I was very careful to stress the wording pass *a* reference.

- Kevin.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Micah Cowan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2003
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bos) writes:

> Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 02:59:18 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Kevin Easton
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >Yep. I see no reason to buy a copy of the final version merely for
> > >answering questions on comp.lang.c.

> >
> > other than to avoid confusion by either
> > a) making an incorrect statement (there were a couple of small changes
> > post final draft); and
> > b) referencing the correct sections...
> >
> > Come on, its only eighteen bucks.

>
> ...plus the cost of a credit card. And I don't just mean the initial
> monetary cost, either.


What, no debit card?

-Micah
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard Bos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2003
Micah Cowan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bos) writes:
>
> > Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 02:59:18 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Kevin Easton
> > > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >
> > > >Yep. I see no reason to buy a copy of the final version merely for
> > > >answering questions on comp.lang.c.
> > >
> > > other than to avoid confusion by either
> > > a) making an incorrect statement (there were a couple of small changes
> > > post final draft); and
> > > b) referencing the correct sections...
> > >
> > > Come on, its only eighteen bucks.

> >
> > ...plus the cost of a credit card. And I don't just mean the initial
> > monetary cost, either.

>
> What, no debit card?


Not over the 'net, no.

Richard
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments