Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: man pages for C commands (GCC commands)

Ben Pfaff

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (ehab) writes:

> How can I get man pages for GCC commands like get or putc or getc ...etc?

1. These are not GCC-specific. They are part of the standard C
programming language's library.

2. These are not "commands". C does not have commands. They are
functions.

3. "man <name>"
--
int main(void){char p[]="ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuv wxyz.\
);}return 0;}

E. Robert Tisdale

Ben Pfaff wrote:

> C does not have commands.

C is an imperative programming language.
It *does* have commands.
Every assignment statement is a command.
Every invocation of a "void" function is a command.

Richard Heathfield

"E. Robert Tisdale" wrote:

> Ben Pfaff wrote:
>
> > C does not have commands.

> C is an imperative programming language.
> It *does* have commands.

The only commands you can invoke in C are via the system() function.

> Every assignment statement is a command.
> Every invocation of a "void" function is a command.

If that were true, it would be possible to pass invocations of "void"
functions to the command processor via a system() call. Please
demonstrate this, in a way that will work with any reasonably conforming
ISO C90 or C99 implementation.

--
Richard Heathfield : (E-Mail Removed)

Chris Dollin

E. Robert Tisdale wrote:

> Ben Pfaff wrote:
>
>> C does not have commands.

> C is an imperative programming language.
> It *does* have commands.

It does not use that terminology. It has never, despite its ancestry,
used that terminology. Using that terminology is misleading outside
some cleary-defined contexts, no matter how much more natural you
might find it.

> Every assignment statement is a command.
> Every invocation of a "void" function is a command.

That's an interesting hypothesis, but without a definition of "command"
it's a bit hard to test. And, so far as I know, the C standard doesn't
give us a definition for "command" that applies to C constructs.

--
Chris "electric hedgehog" Dollin
C FAQs at: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgrou...mp.lang.c.html

Thomas Stegen

Chris Dollin wrote:
> E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
>

>>Ben Pfaff wrote:
>>

>>>C does not have commands.

>>C is an imperative programming language.
>>It *does* have commands.

I believe being an imperative programming language means that
computation is done by applying static code to data. I also think
the code is called operations, not commands. I might be wrong
though.

--
Thomas.

Printing Man pages Shane NZ Computing 7 12-06-2005 11:11 PM
New releases: The Man With the Golden Arm, Cinderella Man & Dead & Buried; Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists Doug MacLean DVD Video 0 08-16-2005 05:35 AM
"man" pages for setjmp.h JS C Programming 2 03-28-2005 12:34 PM
Need Help Differentiating Bad Commands From Incomplete Commands Tim Stanka Python 1 08-02-2004 02:08 AM
conflict between man perlipc and man perlfunc !? Jaap Karssenberg Perl Misc 0 01-09-2004 11:39 PM

Advertisments