Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > BIOS reset

BIOS reset

Nora McCarthy

How do I reset my bios to factory settings it asks for a password which i
have not set up and the company i purchased my pc from has shut down.

Got loads of dots all over screen and on boot up it says something about
being in fail safe mode because the cpu has changed.

I know I ain't changed it and think it may just be a bios glitch.

Thanks

Mark Mandell

"Nora McCarthy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nZSKd.4333$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I reset my bios to factory settings it asks for a password which i
> have not set up and the company i purchased my pc from has shut down.
>
> Got loads of dots all over screen and on boot up it says something about
> being in fail safe mode because the cpu has changed.
>
> I know I ain't changed it and think it may just be a bios glitch.
>
> Thanks

If you can find the motherboard manual(or locate it by going to the online
site)find the location of the CMOS jumper and reset that.

Otherwise remove the CMOS clock and leave it out for about an hour or so,
then put back in.

The O n e

"Mark Mandell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsHYKd.1193$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...

> "Nora McCarthy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:nZSKd.4333$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How do I reset my bios to factory settings it asks for a password which i
>> have not set up and the company i purchased my pc from has shut down.
>>
>> Got loads of dots all over screen and on boot up it says something about
>> being in fail safe mode because the cpu has changed.
>>
>> I know I ain't changed it and think it may just be a bios glitch.
>>
>> Thanks

> If you can find the motherboard manual(or locate it by going to the online
> site)find the location of the CMOS jumper and reset that.
>
> Otherwise remove the CMOS clock and leave it out for about an hour or so,
> then put back in.

Failing that, bin the motherboard, or try and short it to clear it 'worked
for me once'.

John Holmes

Nora McCarthy came up with this:

> How do I reset my bios to factory settings it asks for a password which i
> have not set up and the company i purchased my pc from has shut down.
>
> Got loads of dots all over screen and on boot up it says something about
> being in fail safe mode because the cpu has changed.
>
> I know I ain't changed it and think it may just be a bios glitch.
>
> Thanks

Start>run>command

debug
-o 70 2E
-o 71 00
-q
(This will leave your drive settings as they are but clears most of the
rest)

AMI & Award Bios...

debug
-o 70 17
-o 71 17
-q
(Same)

debug
-o 70 FF
-o 71 17
-q
(In most cases, this will reset the entire CMOS)

--
-John Holmes-

"It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."