Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Monitoring tools

Monitoring tools

Clayton

Anyone know of a good, preferably cheap or free tool that will give you a
real time sort of "speedometer" on interfaces via SNMP to run on the ol'
desktop? Not like five minute averages, but like 1 second averages.
Something like the one in Solarwinds only free.

Thanks,
Clayton

Walter Roberson

In article <bth81l$nrj$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Clayton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Anyone know of a good, preferably cheap or free tool that will give you a
:real time sort of "speedometer" on interfaces via SNMP to run on the ol'
:desktop? Not like five minute averages, but like 1 second averages.
:Something like the one in Solarwinds only free.

Some devices aren't very happy about being polled that often...
--
Contents: 100% recycled post-consumer statements.

Alan Strassberg

In article <bth81l$nrj$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Clayton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Anyone know of a good, preferably cheap or free tool that will give you a
>real time sort of "speedometer" on interfaces via SNMP to run on the ol'
>desktop? Not like five minute averages, but like 1 second averages.
>Something like the one in Solarwinds only free.

Try here ...

http://cosi-nms.sourceforge.net/alpha-progs.html

alan

Phil Pierotti

Just my opinion, but if you're interested in interface traffic statistics at significantly
less than 1 minute polling intervals/average, then you *really* should considering tools
based around NetFlow traffic reporting technologies (and suchlike bretheren).

Many (Cisco at least, though I think some other vendors too) devices support NetFlow
exporting of traffic statistics, and if not, you can get (OpenSource, and commercial)
software which will "sniff" the interface and generate NetFlow style packets of statistics.

google for
ntop
http://www.ntop.org/
nprobe
http://www.ntop.org/nProbe.html
flowscan
http://www.caida.org/tools/utilities/flowscan/index.xml
http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka/FlowScan/
http://www.malware.org/flowscan_tools.htm
Cisco NetFlow Collector
HP-OV
InMon have a NetFlow analyzer
http://www.inmon.com/
Abilene (Internet2) uses NetFlow
http://netflow.internet2.edu/
FreshMeat NetFlow projects
http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=netflow&section=projects

Switch.ch (swiss edu and research net) netflow tools page
- seems to be a good allround reference
http://www.switch.ch/tf-tant/floma/software.html

Enjoy,
PhiL P

In article <bth81l$nrj$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

Favorite monitoring tools? Rob Cisco 6 12-10-2005 04:39 PM
VoIP monitoring tools?!? papi VOIP 1 10-23-2004 02:24 AM
Tools for testing & monitoring MGCP networks? Peter Valdemar Morch VOIP 1 08-29-2004 12:58 AM
Network monitoring tools mimiseh Cisco 0 01-29-2004 07:54 PM
Announcement: Super 4.00 - a suite of EJB/J2EE monitoring/admin tools. Wei Jiang Java 0 11-04-2003 09:48 PM

Advertisments