Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > cisco vpn with windows 98

cisco vpn with windows 98

Ken

I am trying to connect to our network via any Windows 98 PC/laptop using
Cisco VPN client v 4.0.2 (A). I have tried connecting via many dial up and
broadbad connections We are able to connect with ME/2K/XP. When I open the
VPN client and press connect, I am prompted for my domain username &
password. A connection is made which I can see via the Cisco PDM software. I
can ping any IP address, but I can't map network drives or access email.
appears like a domain authentication issue. We are connecting through a
Cisco PIX 506E. Because I am able to connect with other operating systems, I
am leaning towards a specific issue with Windows 98. Is there something
different I need to be doing with that OS? Thanks.

Jason Kau

In comp.dcom.sys.cisco Ken <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am trying to connect to our network via any Windows 98 PC/laptop using
> Cisco VPN client v 4.0.2 (A). I have tried connecting via many dial up and
> broadbad connections We are able to connect with ME/2K/XP. When I open the
> VPN client and press connect, I am prompted for my domain username &
> password. A connection is made which I can see via the Cisco PDM software. I
> can ping any IP address, but I can't map network drives or access email.
> appears like a domain authentication issue. We are connecting through a
> Cisco PIX 506E. Because I am able to connect with other operating systems, I
> am leaning towards a specific issue with Windows 98. Is there something
> different I need to be doing with that OS? Thanks.

Could this be the issue?

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...clnt.htm#84295

WINS Support
On Windows 95 and Windows 98, dynamic WINS support works with DHCP-enabled
adapters (for example, PPP or NIC adapters that get their IP information
dynamically). For static configurations, users must manually configure the
adapters with WINS information.

--
Jason Kau
http://www.cnd.gatech.edu/~jkau

Pan Panayi

"Jason Kau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:btj5v1$hvb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In comp.dcom.sys.cisco Ken <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I am trying to connect to our network via any Windows 98 PC/laptop using
> > Cisco VPN client v 4.0.2 (A). I have tried connecting via many dial up

and
> > broadbad connections We are able to connect with ME/2K/XP. When I open

the
> > VPN client and press connect, I am prompted for my domain username &
> > password. A connection is made which I can see via the Cisco PDM

software. I
> > can ping any IP address, but I can't map network drives or access email.
> > appears like a domain authentication issue. We are connecting through a
> > Cisco PIX 506E. Because I am able to connect with other operating

systems, I
> > am leaning towards a specific issue with Windows 98. Is there something
> > different I need to be doing with that OS? Thanks.

> Could this be the issue?

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...401/401_clnt.h
tm#84295

> WINS Support
> On Windows 95 and Windows 98, dynamic WINS support works with DHCP-enabled
> adapters (for example, PPP or NIC adapters that get their IP information
> dynamically). For static configurations, users must manually configure the
> adapters with WINS information.
>
> --
> Jason Kau
> http://www.cnd.gatech.edu/~jkau

I have two laptops at work with Win98SE that refuse to connect to PIX515E
via a dialup.
The VPN works because I use it with a Win2000Pro laptop, XP Home & Pro
laptops,
iBook that connect with a dialup and my Win98SE at home via an ADSL
connection.
It would seem that only Win98SE laptops refuse to connect. And I do not use
WINS on
any of the work networks.
I sure would love to find the solution to this. One of the laptops that
doesn't work belongs
to one the directors!

Ken

"Pan Panayi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3ffd9fb4$0$7014$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Jason Kau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:btj5v1$hvb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In comp.dcom.sys.cisco Ken <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > I am trying to connect to our network via any Windows 98 PC/laptop

using
> > > Cisco VPN client v 4.0.2 (A). I have tried connecting via many dial up

> and
> > > broadbad connections We are able to connect with ME/2K/XP. When I open

> the
> > > VPN client and press connect, I am prompted for my domain username &
> > > password. A connection is made which I can see via the Cisco PDM

> software. I
> > > can ping any IP address, but I can't map network drives or access

email.
> > > appears like a domain authentication issue. We are connecting through

> > > Cisco PIX 506E. Because I am able to connect with other operating

> systems, I
> > > am leaning towards a specific issue with Windows 98. Is there

something
> > > different I need to be doing with that OS? Thanks.

> > Could this be the issue?

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...401/401_clnt.h
> tm#84295
> >
> > WINS Support
> > On Windows 95 and Windows 98, dynamic WINS support works with

DHCP-enabled
> > adapters (for example, PPP or NIC adapters that get their IP information
> > dynamically). For static configurations, users must manually configure

the
> > adapters with WINS information.
> >
> > --
> > Jason Kau
> > http://www.cnd.gatech.edu/~jkau

> I have two laptops at work with Win98SE that refuse to connect to PIX515E
> via a dialup.
> The VPN works because I use it with a Win2000Pro laptop, XP Home & Pro
> laptops,
> iBook that connect with a dialup and my Win98SE at home via an ADSL
> connection.
> It would seem that only Win98SE laptops refuse to connect. And I do not

use
> WINS on
> any of the work networks.
> I sure would love to find the solution to this. One of the laptops that
> doesn't work belongs
> to one the directors!

We do use WINS and this is already statically defined. That, I believe, is
not the issue. I have already tried from an employees home PC running Win 98
with no success. I hope to resolve this someday. Any other suggestions?

LW

In my experience, if using Win98, you must input the domain name correctly
to get the VPN connection. If using w2k or win me, you needn't input the
domain name.

L.w.

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> bl news:(E-Mail Removed)
g...
> I am trying to connect to our network via any Windows 98 PC/laptop using
> Cisco VPN client v 4.0.2 (A). I have tried connecting via many dial up and
> broadbad connections We are able to connect with ME/2K/XP. When I open the
> VPN client and press connect, I am prompted for my domain username &
> password. A connection is made which I can see via the Cisco PDM software.

> can ping any IP address, but I can't map network drives or access email.
> appears like a domain authentication issue. We are connecting through a
> Cisco PIX 506E. Because I am able to connect with other operating systems,

> am leaning towards a specific issue with Windows 98. Is there something
> different I need to be doing with that OS? Thanks.

Pan Panayi

"LW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:btnkjd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In my experience, if using Win98, you must input the domain name correctly
> to get the VPN connection. If using w2k or win me, you needn't input the
> domain name.
>
> L.w.

I don't use domain names. I use the IP of the PIX 515E (static IP). I don't
have a
FQDN for the PIX, just an IP. So if I registered a FQDN Win98 will work?
If that is the case why does my Win98 box at home work with just the IP?

From the VPN Client logs I can see it sending negotiation packets out
through
the dial up, but on the PIX 515E I don't see anything coming to it.