Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Indexing Service

Re: Indexing Service

Oscillatoriales Quamash Montana Frogvirus

Urp, <(E-Mail Removed)>, wrote:

> One of the first things I did when I got XP was turn off the
> resource-hogging shite known as the Indexing Service.
>
> So: if I have the Indexing Service turned off, how is it that when I
> looked at the properties of some files on my hard drive they had the
> "For fast searching, allow Indexing Service to index this file"
> attribute ticked? (Right-click file name in Explorer: click
> properties | General tab | Attributes| click Advanced button.) Not
> all of them, but ****ing loads of the bastards had it set, and it
> took ages for the poor old PC to go through and change the attributes
> of each file.
>
> I double-checked in Services.msc that I had disabled Indexing Service
> and, sure enough, it says "Disabled" next to it. Cisvc.exe is not
> listed as a running process in the task manager. So what's going on?
> It looks like Micro$hit is doing its best to keep a copy of parts of
> your files hidden away from you on your hard drive and without your
> permission. Anyone got an idea or, failing that, a spare tinfoil hat?
>
> (Content indexing... Yeah. Right. And while on this subject, I still
> haven't seen an answer from Microsoft as to why they go to all the
> trouble to record sites you visit with Internet Explorer in a hidden
> file called index.dat even after you tell Internet Explorer to delete
> your History... (Yet another reason to not use Microsoft's buggy and
> security-lapse-prone piece of ****.) Seriously, what the **** is
> Microsoft up to? Any answers, St Gates? Mr Baalmer? Anyone?)

You completely useless ****. The indexing service reads the attribute. If
the indexing service is turned off... ****ing DUH!

PS: You need a new tinfoil hat. The one you have now is covered in scorch
marks from the splattering fat.

--
G Morgan admits that he gets told he's a
****wit, not just on usenet, but in in real

Urp

Oscillatoriales Quamash Montana Frogvirus wrote:

> You completely useless ****.

LOL! That may well be true. However, a long time ago I changed the
attributes on these very files to uncheck the "Allow fast ****ing
annoying crap to **** around with my files". My gripe is that some
cunting thing or other seems to have changed this again--even though the
Indexing Service is off.

> PS: You need a new tinfoil hat. The one you have now is covered in scorch
> marks from the splattering fat.

Hmmm. So it is. I just had fried egg, chips and sausages for lunch.

Urp

Urp wrote:

> I just had fried egg, chips and sausages for lunch.

And beans.

Beringion Kongjuensis Shermanii

Urp, <(E-Mail Removed)>, wrote:

> Oscillatoriales Quamash Montana Frogvirus wrote:
>

>> You completely useless ****.

> LOL! That may well be true. However, a long time ago I changed the
> attributes on these very files to uncheck the "Allow fast ****ing
> annoying crap to **** around with my files". My gripe is that some
> cunting thing or other seems to have changed this again--even though
> the Indexing Service is off.

It is the default behaviour for certain types of files to set the attribute.
If the indexer is off, it's not going to get read anyway.

>> PS: You need a new tinfoil hat. The one you have now is covered in
>> scorch marks from the splattering fat.

> Hmmm. So it is. I just had fried egg, chips and sausages for lunch.

I have an acquaintance who collapsed suddenly and was taken to hospital
whereupon the doctors accused his wife of trying to kill him. The fat from
the fried egg, chips and sausages had coagulated on the surface of the
contents of his stomach and solidified, trapping gas below and digestive
acid above. I have hope for you. Really, I do.

--

Beringion Kongjuensis Shermanii wrote:

> I have an acquaintance who collapsed suddenly and was taken to hospital
> whereupon the doctors accused his wife of trying to kill him. The fat from
> the fried egg, chips and sausages had coagulated on the surface of the
> contents of his stomach and solidified, trapping gas below and digestive
> acid above. I have hope for you. Really, I do.

Judging by the enormous belch that just sprang forth from my gut and
reverberated around the walls of my office, you shouldn't let your hopes
get too high.

Exidiopsis Lacusrosei

Urp, <(E-Mail Removed)>, wrote:

> Beringion Kongjuensis Shermanii wrote:
>
>> I have an acquaintance who collapsed suddenly and was taken to
>> hospital whereupon the doctors accused his wife of trying to kill
>> him. The fat from the fried egg, chips and sausages had coagulated
>> on the surface of the contents of his stomach and solidified,
>> trapping gas below and digestive acid above. I have hope for you.
>> Really, I do.

> Judging by the enormous belch that just sprang forth from my gut and
> reverberated around the walls of my office, you shouldn't let your
> hopes get too high.

It's just a minor fracture. Have a hot cup of tea.

--
G Morgan admits that he gets told he's a
****wit, not just on usenet, but in in real
life too: "I have my share of detractors in RL"
news:(E-Mail Removed)

chrisv

Urp wrote:

>(snip)

*plonk*

Urp

chrisv wrote:
> Urp wrote:
>
>>(snip)

> *plonk*

Hey, chris, why do you always plonk in bold? What about italics,
/plonk/, for a change? Or bold italics?

Lithocarpus Limnaeus

Urp, <(E-Mail Removed)>, wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
>> Urp wrote:
>>
>>> (snip)

>> *plonk*

> Hey, chris, why do you always plonk in bold? What about italics,
> /plonk/, for a change? Or bold italics?

He's not actually plonking. He's a newsgroup flooding troll.

--

Lithocarpus Limnaeus wrote:
> Urp, <(E-Mail Removed)>, wrote:
>
>>chrisv wrote:

>>>*plonk*

>>Hey, chris, why do you always plonk in bold? What about italics,
>>/plonk/, for a change? Or bold italics?

> He's not actually plonking. He's a newsgroup flooding troll.

Ah. And there was me thinking he must have the biggest krillfile on usenet.
(Results 1 - 10 of about 720 for "*plonk*" author:chrisv)