Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Wireless broadband router explain.

Wireless broadband router explain.

The One

Pleeding ignorance here.

With a wireless broadband router, how do you connect from the modem to the
router. Do they come with a device which plugs into the PC modem which is
then picked up by the router. Can someone explain, im clueless in this area.

Duane Arnold

The One wrote:

> Pleeding ignorance here.
>
> With a wireless broadband router, how do you connect from the modem to the
> router. Do they come with a device which plugs into the PC modem which is
> then picked up by the router. Can someone explain, im clueless in this
> area.

It uses a wire connection like a CAT5 cable that comes from the wall to the
modem and from the modem to the router. The wireless router has in cases
that I have seen 4 RJ45 wire Ethernet ports too so one can connect wire and
wireless computers to the router.

Duane

The One

> The One wrote:
>
>> Pleeding ignorance here.
>>
>> With a wireless broadband router, how do you connect from the modem to
>> the
>> router. Do they come with a device which plugs into the PC modem which is
>> then picked up by the router. Can someone explain, im clueless in this
>> area.

> It uses a wire connection like a CAT5 cable that comes from the wall to
> the
> modem and from the modem to the router. The wireless router has in cases
> that I have seen 4 RJ45 wire Ethernet ports too so one can connect wire
> and
> wireless computers to the router.
>
> Duane

So really they aren't wireless then.

Duane Arnold

"The One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> The One wrote:
>>
>>> Pleeding ignorance here.
>>>
>>> With a wireless broadband router, how do you connect from the modem
>>> to the
>>> router. Do they come with a device which plugs into the PC modem
>>> which is then picked up by the router. Can someone explain, im
>>> clueless in this area.

>> It uses a wire connection like a CAT5 cable that comes from the wall
>> to the
>> modem and from the modem to the router. The wireless router has in
>> cases that I have seen 4 RJ45 wire Ethernet ports too so one can
>> connect wire and
>> wireless computers to the router.
>>
>> Duane
>>

> So really they aren't wireless then.

A part of the router is wireless and you can use a wireless NIC (Network
Interface Card) with your computer like a laptop and move around the
house or go outside with the laptop as far away from the router that a
signal can be sent/received by the wireless NIC used by the laptop. You
can share resources with other wired or wireless (like a wireless NIC
installed on a desktop computer) computers that are using the router from
your wireless laptop. And all the computers using wire or wireless
accessing the router can access the Internet. But the cable comes from
the cable connection on the wall and connects to the modem and a cable
connects the router to the modem for the broadband cable connection.

Duane

Jim Berwick

"The One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:41f96931_4@mk-nntp-
2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

> So really they aren't wireless then.

Wireless doesn't refer to not needing power and an internet connection.
Wireless refers to the fact it supports one or more of the 802.11 standards
for wireless connectivity. It lets you connect computers to the router
over wireless connections instead of running CAT5 cables.