Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > USB Cables

USB Cables

Mettlesmertz

Is there a difference between USB1 and USB 2 cables? I was shopping for a
new cable for a USB 2 device and noticed that there were both USB 1 and USB
2 cables. The sales guy in the store said that there was no difference.

Thanks

Brian

"Mettlesmertz" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:41f69ef0$(E-Mail Removed)-news.com...
> Is there a difference between USB1 and USB 2 cables? I was shopping for a
> new cable for a USB 2 device and noticed that there were both USB 1 and

USB
> 2 cables. The sales guy in the store said that there was no difference.
>
> Thanks

the salesman is stupid. either the store doesn't stock them or he isn't
interested in making profit.
there is a difference. shielding for one. you may get lucky and a usb 1.1
cable will work with the usb 2.0 device, but then again it might not.
usb 2.0 cables should be labeled as usb 2.0. go for them, it may save you
some grief.
usb 2.0 are also usb 1.1 compatible.

mkcables mkcables is offline
Junior Member

A USB cable is a wire or cable that connects two USB ports thus allowing the transferring of information between these two devices. V1.1 runs at a speed of 12MBps, while V2 runs at 480MBps.
It's an external peripheral interface standard for communication between a computer and external peripherals over a cable using bi-serial transmission.
Finalized in 2001, USB 2.0 is a complete overhaul to the Universal Serial Bus input/output bus protocol which allows much higher speeds than the older USB 1.1 standard did.
The vast majority of USB 2.0 devices will work on older PCs and Macs. None should flat-out fail unless there are other issues with the system.

are all 350mhz cables cat6 cables? yawnmoth Computer Information 0 08-10-2006 04:46 PM
USB - dodgy cables? Barb Computer Support 3 10-01-2005 12:49 AM
USB cables Gort Computer Support 8 11-22-2004 08:04 AM
dig cam and usb cables A Person Digital Photography 0 06-07-2004 10:19 AM
USB cables with different 'lumps' for different uses? David Digital Photography 11 10-12-2003 08:30 PM

Advertisments