Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > IDE drivers not loaded

IDE drivers not loaded

Rus Woodward

Win98SE originally stuck in Safe Mode. No hardware changes to original
computer package. Reinstall brought back "Normal" mode but consistent
message that primary and secondary IDE drivers not loaded. Found two
viruses and 4 spyware packages with current NAV.
Have tried downloaded drivers from mfgr (GATEWAY). Nada.
M'aidez!

Michael Hearne

Rus Woodward wrote:

> Win98SE originally stuck in Safe Mode. No hardware changes to original
> computer package. Reinstall brought back "Normal" mode but consistent
> message that primary and secondary IDE drivers not loaded. Found two
> viruses and 4 spyware packages with current NAV.
> Have tried downloaded drivers from mfgr (GATEWAY). Nada.
> M'aidez!

I'm assuming that you did a clean install (that is, reformatted the disk),
because re-installing over the old OS would probably leave the virus
intact. It would also give you all sorts of .dll conflicts.

Backup your documents folder regularly. You'll be glad you did at times like
this. Also remember your config.sys and autoexec.bat files (at least print
them out).

Here are a couple of links that you may find useful:
http://www.driverguide.com
http://www.mainboards.com

Google is your friend for things like driver searches. Enter the actual
filename if you know it, or the mainboard number (usually found near the
power connector).

Good luck,

Michael