Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Lavasoft Ad-Ware and NIS 2005 Firewall Help Needed

Reply
Thread Tools

Lavasoft Ad-Ware and NIS 2005 Firewall Help Needed

 
 
Mark Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-16-2005
NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2005 is not allowing Ad-Ware SE Personal
WebUpdate feature download the definition update file. It allows it to
connect though. In order to get it to work, I have to turn the firewall
completely off. I confirmed that it is defined in NIS Program Control. It
has Internet Access of Automatic and is in the category of General. I have
tried deleting it and then adding it back. What do I need to do or rule do I
need to add in order to get it to work?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-16-2005
"Mark Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:3XoGd.27821$(E-Mail Removed):

> NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2005 is not allowing Ad-Ware SE
> Personal WebUpdate feature download the definition update file. It
> allows it to connect though. In order to get it to work, I have to
> turn the firewall completely off. I confirmed that it is defined in
> NIS Program Control. It has Internet Access of Automatic and is in the
> category of General. I have tried deleting it and then adding it back.
> What do I need to do or rule do I need to add in order to get it to
> work?
>
>
>


If that's the only way you can get it to work by dropping the FW, then
that's a no no as the machine can be compromised in nano seconds. It's just
some advice here but I wouldn't be dropping the FW just to be getting an
Ad-Aware update. I use Ad-Aware from time to time and it's a fine product.
But it's not as important as keeping Norton up.

Duane
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-16-2005
You post as Ms. Dr. Willma and you may please her but I doubt it.

Duane
 
Reply With Quote
 
Thor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-16-2005

"Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns95E01823BAD2Cnotmenotmecom@204.127.204.17. ..
> "Mark Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:3XoGd.27821$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2005 is not allowing Ad-Ware SE
>> Personal WebUpdate feature download the definition update file. It
>> allows it to connect though. In order to get it to work, I have to
>> turn the firewall completely off. I confirmed that it is defined in
>> NIS Program Control. It has Internet Access of Automatic and is in the
>> category of General. I have tried deleting it and then adding it back.
>> What do I need to do or rule do I need to add in order to get it to
>> work?
>>
>>
>>

>
> If that's the only way you can get it to work by dropping the FW, then
> that's a no no as the machine can be compromised in nano seconds. It's
> just
> some advice here but I wouldn't be dropping the FW just to be getting an
> Ad-Aware update. I use Ad-Aware from time to time and it's a fine product.
> But it's not as important as keeping Norton up.


Might be worth dumping the piece of crap Norton and getting decent firewall
softtware though.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-16-2005
"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

>
> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns95E01823BAD2Cnotmenotmecom@204.127.204.17. ..
>> "Mark Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:3XoGd.27821$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2005 is not allowing Ad-Ware SE
>>> Personal WebUpdate feature download the definition update file. It
>>> allows it to connect though. In order to get it to work, I have to
>>> turn the firewall completely off. I confirmed that it is defined in
>>> NIS Program Control. It has Internet Access of Automatic and is in
>>> the category of General. I have tried deleting it and then adding it
>>> back. What do I need to do or rule do I need to add in order to get
>>> it to work?
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>> If that's the only way you can get it to work by dropping the FW,
>> then that's a no no as the machine can be compromised in nano
>> seconds. It's just
>> some advice here but I wouldn't be dropping the FW just to be getting
>> an Ad-Aware update. I use Ad-Aware from time to time and it's a fine
>> product. But it's not as important as keeping Norton up.

>
> Might be worth dumping the piece of crap Norton and getting decent
> firewall softtware though.
>
>
>


Some people call all personal firewall solutions crap. Those people are the
ones that use a FW appliance. I use a personal firewall on my laptop, but
the rest of the machines just sit behind the WatchGuard.

Duane
 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-16-2005
Mark Williams wrote:
>
> NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2005 is not allowing Ad-Ware SE Personal
> WebUpdate feature download the definition update file. It allows it to
> connect though. In order to get it to work, I have to turn the firewall
> completely off. I confirmed that it is defined in NIS Program Control. It


Your best bet is to get rid of NIS and use a simple free firewall
instead and you wont have that problem.


 
Reply With Quote
 
joggernut
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-16-2005
thanks to thor i got avast (a free download).

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns95E01823BAD2Cnotmenotmecom@204.127.204.17. ..
>> "Mark Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:3XoGd.27821$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2005 is not allowing Ad-Ware SE
>>> Personal WebUpdate feature download the definition update file. It
>>> allows it to connect though. In order to get it to work, I have to
>>> turn the firewall completely off. I confirmed that it is defined in
>>> NIS Program Control. It has Internet Access of Automatic and is in the
>>> category of General. I have tried deleting it and then adding it back.
>>> What do I need to do or rule do I need to add in order to get it to
>>> work?
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>> If that's the only way you can get it to work by dropping the FW, then
>> that's a no no as the machine can be compromised in nano seconds. It's
>> just
>> some advice here but I wouldn't be dropping the FW just to be getting an
>> Ad-Aware update. I use Ad-Aware from time to time and it's a fine
>> product.
>> But it's not as important as keeping Norton up.

>
> Might be worth dumping the piece of crap Norton and getting decent
> firewall softtware though.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2005
Dr. Bill wrote:

> Duane Arnold wrote:
>> You post as Ms. Dr. Willma and you may please her but I doubt it.
>>
>> Duane

>
> You'll wipe the an of yer face, when K-man launches that shoe
> right into your arse!
> The lol would be mine!
> Mmm! Ms. Dr. Willma, very intelligent! Typical Duaneypoo-isch!


Willma, K-Cat and I have been going at this for a while. The woman as had
her little moments and then I return the gun fire. It's followers like you
that she flat-out dis-respecteds that make no sense. She dis-respects you
and you and you take it like a dog. Now, you can go back and lay down in
your spot next to her slippers.

Duane


 
Reply With Quote
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2005
Tht last post may bring out her *red pen*.

Duane
 
Reply With Quote
 
Hector Lalagosimou
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2005
Onideus Mad Hatter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm lost! Can you help?....




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[ANN] ruby-nis library packaged as gem 'nis' 0.1.1.1 Mike Dalessio Ruby 0 10-07-2010 08:27 PM
Lavasoft Firewall? louise Computer Security 3 03-27-2007 01:59 PM
HELP - Send/Receive E-mail Problem after NIS 2005 LiveUpdate Mark Williams Computer Information 4 01-08-2005 05:10 PM
NIS or sp2 firewall DRVNGUY Computer Support 2 10-27-2004 11:58 PM
Any point to a double firewall?? (WinXP's + NIS) Jimmy Dean Computer Support 4 06-22-2004 01:11 AM



Advertisments