Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Windows 98 Startup CD ROM

Windows 98 Startup CD ROM

mcp6453

Anybody know how I can make a bootable Windows 98SE Startup Disk ISO so
that I can make a bootable CD?

HF

http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/
"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Gx%Fd.18922$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Anybody know how I can make a bootable Windows 98SE Startup Disk ISO so
> that I can make a bootable CD?

Michael Hearne

mcp6453 wrote:

> Anybody know how I can make a bootable Windows 98SE Startup Disk ISO so
> that I can make a bootable CD?

First, make a *complete* installation of Windows 98 only. Then make a
bootable cdrw with Nero. Now use Nero again to copy the whole installation
to the bootable cdrw. Now, use Nero to copy the cdrw to a .iso file. Now,
burn the .iso to a regular cdr.

Now, just set your machine to boot from cdrom, and you have a Windows 98
live cd.

Michael

Michael Hearne

Thor wrote:

> "Michael Hearne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news7CHd.823$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
>> mcp6453 wrote:
>>
>>> Anybody know how I can make a bootable Windows 98SE Startup Disk ISO so
>>> that I can make a bootable CD?

>> First, make a *complete* installation of Windows 98 only. Then make a
>> bootable cdrw with Nero. Now use Nero again to copy the whole
>> installation to the bootable cdrw. Now, use Nero to copy the cdrw to a
>> .iso file. Now, burn the .iso to a regular cdr.
>>
>> Now, just set your machine to boot from cdrom, and you have a Windows 98
>> live cd.

> how exactly then do you deal with the problem of the OS wanting to write
> registry backups, file changes, etc. when all the files are on a read-only
> media? I don't see how what you suggest would be remotely feasable to run
> the OS off a CD. Seems to me it would crash horribly the fisrt time it
> wanted to write changes to a file.

You could even use it on a diskless station - everythings in memory, and
gets lost when you shut down, unless you save it otherwise.

Michael

Thor

"Michael Hearne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:U_GHd.1383$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> Thor wrote:
>

>> "Michael Hearne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news7CHd.823$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

>>> First, make a *complete* installation of Windows 98 only. Then make a
>>> bootable cdrw with Nero. Now use Nero again to copy the whole
>>> installation to the bootable cdrw. Now, use Nero to copy the cdrw to a
>>> .iso file. Now, burn the .iso to a regular cdr.
>>>
>>> Now, just set your machine to boot from cdrom, and you have a Windows 98
>>> live cd.

>> how exactly then do you deal with the problem of the OS wanting to write
>> registry backups, file changes, etc. when all the files are on a
>> read-only
>> media? I don't see how what you suggest would be remotely feasable to run
>> the OS off a CD. Seems to me it would crash horribly the fisrt time it
>> wanted to write changes to a file.

> You could even use it on a diskless station - everythings in memory, and
> gets lost when you shut down, unless you save it otherwise.

you didn't answer my question. I've seen what happens when Win98 can't write
changes to it's own files when a harddrive is having write-access issues,
and it crashes. How would that differ from your CD? When Win98 needs to
write to a file, (and this is something that is bound to happen at certain
points during the course of running the OS) it's going to fail because it
cannot write to a CD-R. Have you actually successfully made and tried such a
CD?

colin

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Michael Hearne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:U_GHd.1383$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> > Thor wrote:
> >

> >> "Michael Hearne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news7CHd.823$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

so

98

> >> how exactly then do you deal with the problem of the OS wanting to

write
> >> registry backups, file changes, etc. when all the files are on a
> >> read-only
> >> media? I don't see how what you suggest would be remotely feasable to

run
> >> the OS off a CD. Seems to me it would crash horribly the fisrt time it
> >> wanted to write changes to a file.

> > You could even use it on a diskless station - everythings in memory, and
> > gets lost when you shut down, unless you save it otherwise.

> you didn't answer my question. I've seen what happens when Win98 can't

write
> changes to it's own files when a harddrive is having write-access issues,
> and it crashes. How would that differ from your CD? When Win98 needs to
> write to a file, (and this is something that is bound to happen at certain
> points during the course of running the OS) it's going to fail because it
> cannot write to a CD-R. Have you actually successfully made and tried such

> CD?

http://www.heise.de/ct/english/99/11/206/

John Wentworth

Thor wrote:

> how exactly then do you deal with the problem of the OS wanting to write
> registry backups, file changes, etc. when all the files are on a read-only
> media? I don't see how what you suggest would be remotely feasable to run
> the OS off a CD. Seems to me it would crash horribly the fisrt time it
> wanted to write changes to a file.

I was dubious at first, but I built and tried the "Ultimate Boot CD for
Windows" from information at this site. It's based on Windows XP w/SP1
or SP2.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm

And, yes, it works. There are extensive diagnostic and repair utilities
included, pretty amazing for a freebie.

colin

Thor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> "Michael Hearne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:U_GHd.1383$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

ISO
> > so

Windows
> > 98

> > write

> > run

it

> >> you didn't answer my question. I've seen what happens when Win98 can't

> > write
> >> changes to it's own files when a harddrive is having write-access

issues,
> >> and it crashes. How would that differ from your CD? When Win98 needs to
> >> write to a file, (and this is something that is bound to happen at
> >> certain
> >> points during the course of running the OS) it's going to fail because

it
> >> cannot write to a CD-R. Have you actually successfully made and tried
> >> such

> >> CD?
> >>

> > http://www.heise.de/ct/english/99/11/206/

> thanks for the link. Very informative, but alas, I lack the patience to
> actually want to do all of that for the sake of having such a CD. But in

the
> end, those procedures are significantly more extensive and vary

considerably
> from what was being suggested. Interesting nonetheless.

It got my interest enough to give it a go, but from a different website
(which I`ll post when I find it again; if you`re interested.), and different
in which the OS (98SE) is loaded from the CD; this time being placed
entirely into a ramdisk (I`m posting from it at the moment).

Thor

"John Wentworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thor wrote:
>
>> how exactly then do you deal with the problem of the OS wanting to write
>> registry backups, file changes, etc. when all the files are on a
>> read-only media? I don't see how what you suggest would be remotely
>> feasable to run the OS off a CD. Seems to me it would crash horribly the
>> fisrt time it wanted to write changes to a file.
>>

> I was dubious at first, but I built and tried the "Ultimate Boot CD for
> Windows" from information at this site. It's based on Windows XP w/SP1 or
> SP2.
>
> http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm
>
> And, yes, it works. There are extensive diagnostic and repair utilities
> included, pretty amazing for a freebie.

I don't doubt that is is possible to have a live OS on a CD. The
instructions from the various web links given so far all use RAM drives to
overcome the read-only issues, as would be expected. My question was with
the instructions as given in the post, which didn't take these necessary
things into account, and that's what i was getting at. I already have a
BART-PE boot CD which creates a live bootable WinXP OS on CD, of course it
uses a RAMdrive also. So I am well aware of the ability to customize a
bootable OS on CD.

John Wentworth

Thor wrote:

So I am well aware of the ability to customize a
> bootable OS on CD.

I think what impressed me most about this effort was that so much work
had gone in with no financial reward for the author. Can't they do this
work for an employer and get compensated?
I mean, after all, you have to be making the big bucks on this forum.