Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Hard Drive Noise ?

Hard Drive Noise ?

Iowa883

My hard drive is making noise and it is getting louder and louder everyday.
It is an old HP Pavalion and I am debating on what to do.
Only has a 30 GB hardrive and I think it is about full . It is also locking
up sometimes to the extent of making the monitor go black and then it have
to be shut off by turning off the surge protector.
I am just wondering how hard is it to put in a new hard drive ? Is it
possible to slave the old drive and get the important ifo. off of it and
save it to the new ? Then unplug the old hard drive and throw it into the
trash ?

Or is it time for a new computer ? As it is around 5 years old . I am just
not wanting to install a new hard drive and then have the mother board or
something else go out.

Thanks so much,
Iowa883

Wizard

It is time for a new one. You have the oldest living pavilion there is;
all others had major failures in the first year.

Iowa883 wrote:

> My hard drive is making noise and it is getting louder and louder everyday.
> It is an old HP Pavalion and I am debating on what to do.
> Only has a 30 GB hardrive and I think it is about full . It is also locking
> up sometimes to the extent of making the monitor go black and then it have
> to be shut off by turning off the surge protector.
> I am just wondering how hard is it to put in a new hard drive ? Is it
> possible to slave the old drive and get the important ifo. off of it and
> save it to the new ? Then unplug the old hard drive and throw it into the
> trash ?
>
> Or is it time for a new computer ? As it is around 5 years old . I am just
> not wanting to install a new hard drive and then have the mother board or
> something else go out.
>
> Thanks so much,
> Iowa883

Iowa883

I am still running Windows 98
BTW also.
Iowa883

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It is time for a new one. You have the oldest living pavilion there is;
> all others had major failures in the first year.
>
> Iowa883 wrote:
> >
> > My hard drive is making noise and it is getting louder and louder

everyday.
> > It is an old HP Pavalion and I am debating on what to do.
> > Only has a 30 GB hardrive and I think it is about full . It is also

locking
> > up sometimes to the extent of making the monitor go black and then it

have
> > to be shut off by turning off the surge protector.
> > I am just wondering how hard is it to put in a new hard drive ? Is it
> > possible to slave the old drive and get the important ifo. off of it and
> > save it to the new ? Then unplug the old hard drive and throw it into

the
> > trash ?
> >
> > Or is it time for a new computer ? As it is around 5 years old . I am

just
> > not wanting to install a new hard drive and then have the mother board

or
> > something else go out.
> >
> > Thanks so much,
> > Iowa883

Thor

"Iowa883" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cs0e8o$9bl$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am still running Windows 98
> BTW also.
> Iowa883

not really worth the cost and hassle of putting a new drive in that old
machine. I'm with wizard on this. Invest in a newer machine.

WebWalker

You slave the new drive and use HD utility such as SeaTool from
Seagate to clone your present HD to the newer one.
Take out the old drive and set the jumper of the new HD as master.

--
WebWalker