Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > System Rebooting During Game Loading

System Rebooting During Game Loading

Dan Twining

Hi all, i recently put together a nice new system. (ASRock K8 Combo-Z Mobo,
6600GT vid card, 1GB (2x256 Ram)) Latest version of directX, latest drivers
for everything (except maybe AGP drives, got them off mobo disk), first
thing i done to try out my new beast was install far cry, ...and bar a few
graphic glitches (that were mostly fixed by patching game, it worked fine.
While downloaded latest firewall software the computer got virus, so i
totally f-disked and started again. This time though, when i run far cry the
game causes the system to re-boot about 1/10th into loading level! So very
confused, i tried Doom 3, ....which loaded up the level fully, but as soon
as it started to go into the in-game, u could see the first frame, ..and it
would also hang, and cause the system to re-boot! I tried loaded a few doom
3 levels, and the only one that worked, loaded up and played was the first
hell level, i'm guessing that worked because theres less stuff drawn. I
tried lowing the AGP speed from 8x to 4x with no joy, and disabling and
enabling fast writes....still no joy.

So, do any of you clever people out there have any idea what might be
causing my system to get re-booted when loading up games?!?!?!, other than
this the system is nice and stable. I don't believe this to be a hardware
fault as pre-fdisk the games loaded up and played fine, ....but maybe you
guys know better.

Any advice very much appreciated,
Thanks,
Dan

Matt Wheeler

"Dan Twining" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:crv373$4bd$(E-Mail Removed)...

> So, do any of you clever people out there have any idea what might
> be causing my system to get re-booted when loading up games?!?!?!,
> other than this the system is nice and stable. I don't believe this
> to be a hardware fault as pre-fdisk the games loaded up and played
> fine, ....but maybe you guys know better.

What version of Windows is it ?
If its XP or 2000, right-click "My Computer", and go to Properties.
Go to the "Advanced" tab, and click "settings" by "Startup Recovery).
In here is an option to automatically restart. IF its selected, untick
it.

Now, try to reproduce problem.
Do you get a windows BSOD (Blue Screen of Death).
If so, note down the stop code and first couple of lines of the
message. You can then look it up on microsoft's website, or post
details here.

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

as matt said, turn off XP's automatic restart ctrl
panel..system..advanced..startup and recovery..settings..uncheck
automatic restart

Assuming that is hte cause, you then, still have the problem that
there's a critical crash. Last time I had the automatic restart problem
and I stopped it restarting, the system just froze. (mouse, keyboard
****and clock**** didn't move!!)

Go to Ctrl panel..administrative tools..event viewer..system events
Look for red crosses, see if any of them more-a-less correpond with the
time of the crash. When I tried it, I found errors, they didn't
correspond with the time, but the error kept occurring repeatedly, so I
found the error, googled a lot, resolved that it was an aspi thing and
downloaded the latest drivers.
Alternatively you could reinstall. Another thing you may want to do is
install another WinXP on another partition. So if one XP goes down you
can go to the other one.

adamofevil

"Dan Twining" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:crv373$4bd$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi all, i recently put together a nice new system. (ASRock K8 Combo-Z
> Mobo, 6600GT vid card, 1GB (2x256 Ram)) Latest version of directX,
> latest drivers for everything (except maybe AGP drives, got them off
> mobo disk), first thing i done to try out my new beast was install far
> cry, ...and bar a few graphic glitches (that were mostly fixed by
> patching game, it worked fine. While downloaded latest firewall
> software the computer got virus, so i totally f-disked and started
> again. This time though, when i run far cry the game causes the system
> to re-boot about 1/10th into loading level! So very confused, i tried
> Doom 3, ....which loaded up the level fully, but as soon as it started
> to go into the in-game, u could see the first frame, ..and it would
> also hang, and cause the system to re-boot! I tried loaded a few doom
> 3 levels, and the only one that worked, loaded up and played was the
> first hell level, i'm guessing that worked because theres less stuff
> drawn. I tried lowing the AGP speed from 8x to 4x with no joy, and
> disabling and enabling fast writes....still no joy.
>
> So, do any of you clever people out there have any idea what might be
> causing my system to get re-booted when loading up games?!?!?!, other
> than this the system is nice and stable. I don't believe this to be a
> hardware fault as pre-fdisk the games loaded up and played fine,
> ....but maybe you guys know better.
>
> Any advice very much appreciated,
> Thanks,
> Dan

Common things that might cause this:

1) CPU overheating (check CPU fan or install a temperature monitor)
2) Dying power supply (not providing enough voltage anymore, or
fluctuating)