Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Problems with Maxtor 80GB

Reply
Thread Tools

Problems with Maxtor 80GB

 
 
dennis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2005
Hi all,
Had an interesting problem this last weekend I wanted to pass on.

I was working on one of my son's co-workers pc who tried to upgrade it
himself with a new soundcard and cdrw... well to make a long story somewhat
shorter it was fairly simple to reinstall the drivers... 10 minute fix.
Then I saw his 80gb disk drive was only showing up as about 2.1GB ... hmmmm

I tried a rescue disk doing an fdisk that I created from a win98 system (he
was running 98 as well) and could only get about 13GB max. I flashed the
bios with the latest update (this was a soyo sy7vca-e) and made sure the mb
would support an 80gb drive... no problem. I then booted the 98se
distribution cd into command line mode and performed another fdisk... still
showed up as only 13GB... I went to the maxtor website and downloaded their
drive tools and wrote it to a cd. Booted that from the system I was working
on, it recognized the drive as an 80gb drive and looked like it
successfully configured it. During the process maxtor's program
"maxblaster" asked that the 98 cd be put in to start the 98 install. It all
looked like the normal 98 install up to and including the formatting of the
drive... then during the process it got a format error. Tried twice with no
luck. I had a spare 80gb drive and was about to put it in when I figured
I'd give this drive one more chance. I ran fdisk again from the 98 cd and
remove the partitions. Then I rebooted the cd and went into 98 setup. It
formatted with no problem and when it was all done I had 80gb

I am at a loss... is there something I am missing here? Does fdisk on the
98cd have a size limitation? I have installed many drives and never had a
problem like this before.

just thought I'd pass this along.

Dennis


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
VWWall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2005
dennis wrote:
> Hi all,
> Had an interesting problem this last weekend I wanted to pass on.


> I am at a loss... is there something I am missing here? Does fdisk on the
> 98cd have a size limitation? I have installed many drives and never had a
> problem like this before.


Yes, fdisk on the normal CD has a limitation of only reporting correctly
up to ~64GB. It will format correctly, but the size indication "folds
over" at 64GB. There is a new version available on the MS site.

Virg Wall
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dvm@mtangel.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2005

VWWall wrote:
> dennis wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Had an interesting problem this last weekend I wanted to pass on.

>
> > I am at a loss... is there something I am missing here? Does fdisk

on the
> > 98cd have a size limitation? I have installed many drives and

never had a
> > problem like this before.

>
> Yes, fdisk on the normal CD has a limitation of only reporting

correctly
> up to ~64GB. It will format correctly, but the size indication

"folds
> over" at 64GB. There is a new version available on the MS site.
>
> Virg Wall


Thanks Virg... guess the ones I did before were always new drives I got
out of the box and just let the win98 setup take care of the drive for
me. I will also download the fix from the microsoft page... thanks.
dennis

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5000LE 80GB external USB drive upgrade to 200GB Spuds Computer Support 11 02-04-2006 12:46 PM
Reaching 45gb of data wipes out new 80gb drive??? Rick Computer Support 1 08-13-2004 04:23 AM
FA: 80GB 4200 RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE FOR LAPTOP TOSHIBA Dr.SmartMedia Digital Photography 15 08-02-2004 03:08 PM
Pioneer DVD Recorder/Player w/Built-in 80GB Hard Drive model DVR-420H-S me6@privacy.net DVD Video 1 07-20-2004 02:30 AM
w2k can't "see" full 80GB WCH Computer Support 12 09-29-2003 12:29 AM



Advertisments