Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > How to config Cisco Ethernet interface to 3Com switch to full-duplex?

How to config Cisco Ethernet interface to 3Com switch to full-duplex?

Sam

I connect a Cisco 1710 router Ethernet interface (10M) to a 3Com
SuperStack 3 Switch 4400. The LED on the switch also shows it is
running half-duplex, not matter I set the router Ethernet interface to
half-duplex or full-duplex.

Is there any method to config it to run at full-duplex mode for higher
throughput? (is it necessary to config the 3Com switch? and how?)

Thank you in advance
Regards
Sam

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I connect a Cisco 1710 router Ethernet interface (10M) to a 3Com
:SuperStack 3 Switch 4400. The LED on the switch also shows it is
:running half-duplex, not matter I set the router Ethernet interface to
:half-duplex or full-duplex.

:Is there any method to config it to run at full-duplex mode for higher
:throughput? (is it necessary to config the 3Com switch? and how?)

If you have already changed the configuration on the 1710 end
and the SuperStack still thinks it is half-duplex, then either
the SuperStack port is forced to half-duplex or the SuperStack
port cannot run full duplex, or the SuperStack port cannot
negotiate full duplex with a 1710. Either there is nothing that
can be done or you need to change the SuperStack configuration.
--
csh is bad drugs.

Dan Lanciani

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Sam) writes:

| I connect a Cisco 1710 router Ethernet interface (10M) to a 3Com
| SuperStack 3 Switch 4400. The LED on the switch also shows it is
| running half-duplex, not matter I set the router Ethernet interface to
| half-duplex or full-duplex.
|
| Is there any method to config it to run at full-duplex mode for higher
| throughput?

Can you set the 1710 to auto detect? If you force the 1710 to full duplex
and the 4400 is set to auto (the default, I think) then there will be no
negotiation and the 4400 will have to use half duplex (you can't parallel
detect to full duplex). This is the classic auto detection quandary.

|(is it necessary to config the 3Com switch? and how?)

If you can't make the 1710 negotiate (auto detect) then you will have to
force the 4400 to full duplex.

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com