Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > xp automatic hardware install

xp automatic hardware install

effi

can it be turned off, so when the computer is turned on with a new piece of
hardware in it, modem in this case, xp doesn't automatically install it?

trying to install an internal not so smart modem, when the computer is
turned on, xp installs it automatically, if the driver is then removed and
the smart modem driver installed, it doesn't work though it says installed
and working properly

information from not so smart link .com seems to say the old driver must be
removed, the computer turned off and unplugged so no power is running to the
pci slots, then the new driver installed

this can't be done because xp automatically installs the modem as a standard
56k modem when the computer is turned on

Thor

"effi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> can it be turned off, so when the computer is turned on with a new piece
> of hardware in it, modem in this case, xp doesn't automatically install
> it?
>
> trying to install an internal not so smart modem, when the computer is
> turned on, xp installs it automatically, if the driver is then removed and
> the smart modem driver installed, it doesn't work though it says installed
> and working properly
>
> information from not so smart link .com seems to say the old driver must
> be removed, the computer turned off and unplugged so no power is running
> to the pci slots, then the new driver installed
>
> this can't be done because xp automatically installs the modem as a
> standard 56k modem when the computer is turned on

basically, in cases like this, where windows wants to use it's own driver
first, instead of asking you to install one upon detection, and using the
driver update wizard does not result in a proper driver installation, you
need to go to the windows\inf folder (have your hidden files visible) and
locate the .INF file that windows is using to identify that device, and
delete it, or at least move it to a different folder so it can't locate it
during the device detection phase. Then remove the device's entry in the
device manager, reboot, and then windows should request a driver for the
device instead of installing one automatically. Since there are bound to be
many modem driver .INF files in the inf folder, it is important to locate
the proper one. This can be difficult however and you may need to open
several inf files in notepad to see what models they cover before you find
the right one. I usually try to find some identifiable description string
that matches the device name windows gives the modem, because that name will
be in one of the inf files. Or, you could go the hamfisted route, and remove
all inf files pertaining to modems. I highly recommend that you merely move
them to a temporary folder. That way you can move them back in the event of
a problem. Good luck.