Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > RAM Problem not sure what to do

RAM Problem not sure what to do

2yngforthis

I have a MSI 6390 MB w/ 256 2100 speed DDR ram. I bought another chip of
the same ram
and installed the pc didn't recognize it. I returned and got another chip
and had the same problem.
I've tried running the new chip by itself and it worked fine. i tried
swapping the slots for the chips and it still only recognizes 256. I
downloaded software (everest home) and it detects the second chip in the 2nd
dimm slot but also shows the computer as only running 256 megs. Ive went
throught the mb manual and the motherboard is capable of having 2 gigs of
ram. I then thot about updatingthe bios drives but skimmed thru the updates
and none of the newer ones had a mention of a problem or fix if detecting
ram.. Im hesitant to make that jump. Any ideas as to why my pc will not
register the 2nd chip ?

Thanks in advance.

Thagor

"2yngforthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:lp0Cd.5676$(E-Mail Removed) :

> I have a MSI 6390 MB w/ 256 2100 speed DDR ram. I bought another chip
> of the same ram
> and installed the pc didn't recognize it. I returned and got another
> chip and had the same problem.
> I've tried running the new chip by itself and it worked fine. i tried
> swapping the slots for the chips and it still only recognizes 256. I
> downloaded software (everest home) and it detects the second chip in
> the 2nd dimm slot but also shows the computer as only running 256
> megs. Ive went throught the mb manual and the motherboard is capable
> of having 2 gigs of ram. I then thot about updatingthe bios drives but
> skimmed thru the updates and none of the newer ones had a mention of a
> problem or fix if detecting ram.. Im hesitant to make that jump. Any
> ideas as to why my pc will not register the 2nd chip ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Yep. Wrong ram.

Drifter

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:33:21 GMT, "2yngforthis"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a MSI 6390 MB w/ 256 2100 speed DDR ram. I bought another chip of
>the same ram
>and installed the pc didn't recognize it. I returned and got another chip
>and had the same problem.
> I've tried running the new chip by itself and it worked fine. i tried
>swapping the slots for the chips and it still only recognizes 256. I
>downloaded software (everest home) and it detects the second chip in the 2nd
>dimm slot but also shows the computer as only running 256 megs. Ive went
>throught the mb manual and the motherboard is capable of having 2 gigs of
>ram. I then thot about updatingthe bios drives but skimmed thru the updates
>and none of the newer ones had a mention of a problem or fix if detecting
>ram.. Im hesitant to make that jump. Any ideas as to why my pc will not
>register the 2nd chip ?

Some types of RAM simply do not "play well" together. I always try to
buy my RAM in matched sets, or at least in the same brand.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

2yngforthis

"Drifter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:33:21 GMT, "2yngforthis"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have a MSI 6390 MB w/ 256 2100 speed DDR ram. I bought another chip of
>>the same ram
>>and installed the pc didn't recognize it. I returned and got another chip
>>and had the same problem.
>> I've tried running the new chip by itself and it worked fine. i tried
>>swapping the slots for the chips and it still only recognizes 256. I
>>downloaded software (everest home) and it detects the second chip in the
>>2nd
>>dimm slot but also shows the computer as only running 256 megs. Ive went
>>throught the mb manual and the motherboard is capable of having 2 gigs of
>>ram. I then thot about updatingthe bios drives but skimmed thru the
>>updates
>>and none of the newer ones had a mention of a problem or fix if detecting
>>ram.. Im hesitant to make that jump. Any ideas as to why my pc will not
>>register the 2nd chip ?

> Some types of RAM simply do not "play well" together. I always try to
> buy my RAM in matched sets, or at least in the same brand.
>

> Drifter
> "I've been here, I've been there..."

I came to the same conclusion so i went and bought 2 chips of Kingston 512
sticks
and my pc would not even boot when they were installed.... Anyone have this
mb
with upgraded ram ? I'm weary of which chips to buy.

Thor

Crucial matched compatible memory for your MSI 6390 motherboard.

http://tinyurl.com/5ypnr

If the ones crucial recommends do not work in your system, then I would
suspect something wrong with your board.

news:jO1Cd.6399$(E-Mail Removed) m...