Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Win98 SE Shutdown problem

Win98 SE Shutdown problem

KJAYW

I'm having problems closing down my computer.
OK if I click 'shut down' and PC switches off normally but freezes on
Windows is shutting down screen if I click 're-start'.In that case I
have to turn off power before I can get it to boot up again.

Any solutions?

Thansk

Kevin

Thor

most likely, one of the programs you have running in the background, or a
program that you used is refusing to close (even though it may appear to),
and that in turn is keeping windows from doing a complete shutdown.
Experiment by opening the task manager (press ctrl-alt-del) and end-task
everything except "explorer" and "systray". Some items may not want to close
right away, but keep end-tasking them until they do. When you get down to
just explorer and systray running, go ahead and shut down windows normally.
If it shuts down ok, then it's a fair bet that one of the programs you
killed off manually was the culprit. Then, you can try again, kill off the
tasks again, leaving one extra item running each time, until you get to the
one that is causing windows to hang up on shutdown.

"KJAYW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WBZBd.25039$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> I'm having problems closing down my computer.
> OK if I click 'shut down' and PC switches off normally but freezes on
> Windows is shutting down screen if I click 're-start'.In that case I have
> to turn off power before I can get it to boot up again.
>
> Any solutions?
>
> Thansk
>
> Kevin

KJAYW

Thor wrote:
> most likely, one of the programs you have running in the background, or a
> program that you used is refusing to close (even though it may appear to),
> and that in turn is keeping windows from doing a complete shutdown.
> Experiment by opening the task manager (press ctrl-alt-del) and end-task
> everything except "explorer" and "systray". Some items may not want to close
> right away, but keep end-tasking them until they do. When you get down to
> just explorer and systray running, go ahead and shut down windows normally.
> If it shuts down ok, then it's a fair bet that one of the programs you
> killed off manually was the culprit. Then, you can try again, kill off the
> tasks again, leaving one extra item running each time, until you get to the
> one that is causing windows to hang up on shutdown.
>

> ..
> "KJAYW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:WBZBd.25039$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>
>>I'm having problems closing down my computer.
>>OK if I click 'shut down' and PC switches off normally but freezes on
>>Windows is shutting down screen if I click 're-start'.In that case I have
>>to turn off power before I can get it to boot up again.
>>
>>Any solutions?
>>
>>Thansk
>>
>>Kevin

Thanks, Thor, much appreciated

Kevin

Spajky

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 21:21:58 GMT, KJAYW <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I'm having problems closing down my computer.

>Any solutions?

Windows98SE Shutdown ProblemPatch.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/d...SE/Default.asp
--
Regards & Happy New Year Everyone, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

Wizard

Run a complete scan of your drive and fix any errors. If that doesn't do
it then download the 2 shutdown patches from microsoft.

KJAYW wrote:

> I'm having problems closing down my computer.
> OK if I click 'shut down' and PC switches off normally but freezes on
> Windows is shutting down screen if I click 're-start'.In that case I
> have to turn off power before I can get it to boot up again.
>
> Any solutions?
>
> Thansk
>
> Kevin

effi

dude, you're a genius, answer wasn't for me but worked

news:(E-Mail Removed)...