Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Reading old Windows 95 Backup files

Reading old Windows 95 Backup files

Dyhibb

I backed up an old computer of mine years ago that was running windows 95. It
took about 55 floppys to back it up. I now have a PC running Windows 98 and a
Laptop running Windows XP.

I would like to go through the old back up files and make see if I want to keep
any of them and dispose of the floppys but I can't get my my current computers
to read the backup files.

Is there a way I can read those files on either of my current computers?

Thanks, David

Robert Baer

Dyhibb wrote:

> I backed up an old computer of mine years ago that was running windows 95. It
> took about 55 floppys to back it up. I now have a PC running Windows 98 and a
> Laptop running Windows XP.
>
> I would like to go through the old back up files and make see if I want to keep
> any of them and dispose of the floppys but I can't get my my current computers
> to read the backup files.
>
> Is there a way I can read those files on either of my current computers?
>
> Thanks, David

What you most likely did was use M$ "backup" utility, which *never*
was a good idea since about 1985.
The reason was that *every* change in the version of the OS (say DOS
2.0 to 2.2) the idiots made the formats completely different.
Unless you can install the exact same version of Win 95, you are up
the river without the boat, the paddle and also without the river
itself!

Thor

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dyhibb wrote:
>>
>> I backed up an old computer of mine years ago that was running windows
>> 95. It
>> took about 55 floppys to back it up. I now have a PC running Windows 98
>> and a
>> Laptop running Windows XP.
>>
>> I would like to go through the old back up files and make see if I want
>> to keep
>> any of them and dispose of the floppys but I can't get my my current
>> computers
>> to read the backup files.
>>
>> Is there a way I can read those files on either of my current computers?
>>
>> Thanks, David

> What you most likely did was use M$ "backup" utility, which *never*
> was a good idea since about 1985.
> The reason was that *every* change in the version of the OS (say DOS
> 2.0 to 2.2) the idiots made the formats completely different.
> Unless you can install the exact same version of Win 95, you are up
> the river without the boat, the paddle and also without the river
> itself!

not to mention using 55 floppies to back up anything is a really bad idea. 1
bad floppy and you are screwed.